Dangerous coating

voodoovette

I sent out a sample for testing of the spray on coating that the factory applied to the interior of my 1973 corvette. The results came back today, stating the coating is a tar base that contains 2% Chrysotile Asbestos. If you are doing repairs to the interior floor of your vette, be carefull, this is a health hazard.

voodoovette
Thanks for taking the time to do the research!

I was concerned if it was friable - or encapsulated in the 'vettes. It is in the tar/resin base. SO it is safe until you 'd start grinding on it. Then its airborne.

From the mesotheiolama support network:

Safety of Chrysotile

Popular for its insulating and fire retardant properties, it was commonly used for thermal insulation, electrical purposes, fireproofing ...

After recent research, even extremely low levels of asbestos have been deemed unsafe. It has been proven that excessive, prolonged exposure to the substance leads to mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis and other illnesses and conditions related to asbestos exposure.

The danger would be in cutting, grinding and otherwise removing the floor pans - firewall etc where it has been used. I, for one, plan doing all those to the firewall, and floors.

For me, its mask up (eye protection too) and ventilate! Thanks for the info.

Cheers Jim