damn valve cover seal leaks

Belgian1979vette

Ok, I have had it with this issue. I've used thin, thich cork and the plastic/rubber type of seal to get the valve covers to seal, but to no avail. Every damn time they start leaking in the rear outside corners, dripping on my headers on one side and on the starter motor on the other.

Solutions ?

IF you have that rounded iron rough cast head 'seal' surface the only thing I have ever found that works is Black Permatex RTV.....the good stuff comes in a toothpaste size tube....of course have to use brake cleaner to rub the living hell outta the heads and covers first, must be totally squeeky clean....and sanitary....

only negative for me has been having to pry hell outta the covers when time to remove....play HELL with that shit.....:smash::surrender::cool:

Well, I run a mechanical roller. Need to be able to take em off frequently to set the valves.

Oh please, these engine run for decades long as the oil/filter is changed every 3-5k miles or so.....really no reason on a durability scale to be resetting valve lash....set them 1/4 ro 1/2 turn down, and you are fine....

:smash::thumbs:

What kind of valve covers? Ever since I bought these cast aluminum covers (in 2005?) I've glued the rubber gasket to the covers with black RTV.... No RTV between gaskets and heads..... That way you can take off the covers and the gaskets stay on the covers.... No leak since then.....
The stamped steel warped chrome crap will always leak .... Lol.... Well, i followed your project for a while, I doubt you use $20 stamped steel valve covers....

What kind of valve covers? Ever since I bought these cast aluminum covers (in 2005?) I've glued the rubber gasket to the covers with black RTV.... No RTV between gaskets and heads..... That way you can take off the covers and the gaskets stay on the covers.... No leak since then.....
The stamped steel warped chrome crap will always leak .... Lol.... Well, i followed your project for a while, I doubt you use $20 stamped steel valve covers....

No, currently I use Edelbrock elites. Those are not stamped steel.

Which covers do you use. I need tall ones to clear the shaft rockers.

BTW : engine is up and running on ITB's. I just need to find a suitable filtration system. I was going to use filter socks but on the first backfire they started smoking :twitch: