Cutting stainless steel sheet: Any advice?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I'm planning to make some more SS insulator shims for my caliper pistons. In the past I cut the shims out with my plasma cutter, but that method always required a lot of additional grinding to clean up the shape. Just looking for suggestions on any better method. The new shims will be out of .076" material.

Thanks for any help here.
Mike

I bet you want it fast?
Can't speak to price, or speed of this service, but you might check out:

Don't "do" CAD? Make an accurate drawing - tracing the outline of the cuts. Then Scan and use an online scan to DXF. I've not tried this sorce (either):

But it is a process I am familiar with. There are some free converters you can download - I've done that in the past. Sometimes easier to generate a DXF of a part and import.
[Not without its own challenges.]

I may need to do the same - I see I have one shim on the shelf - and might need another...

Cheers - Jim

I bet you want it fast?

I may need to do the same - I see I have one shim on the shelf - and might need another...

Cheers - Jim
Actually, I always want it cheap. 😄

I have an older set of stainless shim insulators that I used with the stock calipers. I got those laser cut by my cousin who owns a proto shop that does that kind of work. He did me a (free) favor cutting those out, but I hate mooching too much so I did my latest shims for my Wilwood calipers using my plasma cutter. I'll probably do that same method again, as I'm trying to do it in my garage and on the cheap.

.076 SS could be roughed out with a cutoff disk on an angle grinder and cleaned up with a grinding stone. Would not be fun but doable.

.076 SS could be roughed out with a cutoff disk on an angle grinder and cleaned up with a grinding stone. Would not be fun but doable.

I might give that a try. When I've used my plasma cutter I always had to spend time cleaning up (grinding) and removing the slag material on the edges anyway, so using the cutoff disc probably won't be any more time intensive than what I've been doing.

if you were close enough, I have a shear that can cut the straight lines.... .076 could be cut in my jump shears, thus any HVAC shop who builds their own ductwork would be capable of chopping it out.

Well, next question. I'm working on the C5 front suspension crossmember that I'm cutting and welding to adapt it to C4 lower control arms. I've cut ten pounds of unneeded length, width, and material from it, but there's a pound or two of flanges and bosses/pads that I can't remove by cutting, and I'm looking for a way to do some fast and rough grinding on those areas. I use my carbide bits quite often, but they're too slow and "fine" for removing the amount of material I want to. Anyone have a secret or technique to grinding off large amounts of aluminum in short amounts of time?

Thanks for any suggestions.

your limit will be your imagination - drill inside spots out, cut parts off.... biggest issue with aluminum is it builds up on the tool if you don't use one of the strategies (e.g. spray lubricant) to keep it from building up.

Sawsall on the alum. Probably would not need fancy blades. I really like my HF bandsaw on alum and you can get a deep cut version.

I read a jigsaw with carbide blade may work good on SS.

Yeah, I know HF is not the best, but that bandsaw has been great on the swag stand.

Back