Craigslist killed the newspaper

rtj

For many years, my day started by reading the newspaper. Thought this was an interesting statement:

"
Internet is what has been killing papers–those certainly haven't helped–it was the appearance of Craigslist that doomed most newspapers.

Why? A primary source of revenue for most newspapers was classified ads. And with the appearance of Craigslist, which was free and searchable, newspapers lost that market.

Craigslist employs about 50 people. That's it. These 50 people killed off newspapers, or nearly so."

I advertised one 4 post lift on CL & sold two to the same guy. Didn't need them after selling 2 Corvettes I seldom drove - 4:11 rear not fun or practical in congested Connecticut. I met the purchaser in the front parking lot of our Police Station to get ID from buyer. Advertised a 99 Corvette with 28K miles on CL & haven't got a single call in 2 months.

Years ago I purchased 6 beautiful 6 ft tall Oak curio cabinets - USED for $200-300 each on CL We had previously purchased 2 beautiful 6 ft tall Oak curio cabinets - NEW for $2500. each. All glass shelves. Yea I know it's like a museum in our home with cut glass, my fossils, china, ceramics, ivory, vases & beautiful old collectibles. It sure makes the dusting easier for my lady.
Next summer I'm going to sell my old 12 kw Generac & my Bostick oak floor stapler on CL.

I am ashamed to admit that years ago I was a subscriber to the Gray Lady - the NYT with "all the news that's fit to print". Stopped that when they started announcing the engagement & wedding for queers. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to marriage. If you are born with a dick, you are not a chick.

Tuesday was date night at the indoor range & my wife is really getting to like it. I bought a Benelli M4 and it is a beautiful piece. Unfortunately with the layoff of Police, defunding Police and their retirements the staffing levels & response times are sufficient in my view for protection.

I cannot believe what the Greens are doing to fuel, fertilizer & food supply. In Europe they are confiscating farms. Gates & Xi are buying US farm land. I'm not gonna eat bugs.

These 50 people killed off newspapers, or nearly so."
The only value I find in FB is the Marketplace, and a few groups that have similar interests. Flyers/racers/etc.

So why did Elon fire the staff?! FAT! (and some MANY bad actors too,,,) Thin the organization - if Craigslist can do it?
Same in D.C. Too much overhead and FAT! (and MANY, MANY bad actors...) Well, lets try there too!

Don't believe it can happen? Watch as businesses reduce their labor force as the market forces them to cut positions..

The "real" news is now carried only on Alternate media. And, YOU have to look for it - not be force fed.
That is a good thin IMHO.
Huntley, Brinkley, Cronkhite, Rather - were all mouthpieces for the DS.
If you're still watching Lame Scream Media, I hope its for entertainment and counter points - or to get a good laugh.

QUESTION EVERYTHING. Even the stories/items you agree with.

FB marketplace is good, just sold my utv after 1 week. First guy to look at it, took it. It was on CL too, but fb showed over 1500 views.

That article was written by David Strom. He has really good insight into why things happen. Not just a regurgitation of what happened.

The handwriting was on the wall in the late 80's for newspapers (pre CL). Started with the Cable Communications Act (middle 80's). Lots of money distributed to politicians. Part of that effort by our elected officials, was breaking up AT&T so that cable could be strung all over the US using AT&T's telephone poles. AT&T paid for those, paid a lot. But they were "needed" by HBO, Showtime, Turner Broadcasting, etc. to expand. All under the guise that this would be pay per view television that had no commercials. What a deal. Now cable costs $100 month and there are more commercials than ever.

I think that cable is the death of newspapers. The tragedy is there are no more local community papers that they throw in your driveway. So that people know what is happening in your community. The city you live in probably has a newspaper that is only available online that you have to subscribe to. it is full of ads (not local)

It's really all about the money.

Reactions: rtj
and ebay all but killed craigslist, I try buying and selling on FB marketplace with mixed results, ask a question of a seller and never get a response...and too many buyers think your selling because you need the money.

FB MP seems best for me lately. But, seems like everything is in short supply and sells fast. UTVs are ridiculous, mine sold in 6 days. Dump trailers are more expensive than old dump trucks, so may go that route. Car trailers, well you might as well buy new from a dealer, as most are asking new prices.

Might as well add this here rather than start a new thread.

Attachments

• 51533F92-9EE6-47D8-BCD0-55DC6CB6FED0.jpeg
    51533F92-9EE6-47D8-BCD0-55DC6CB6FED0.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2