convert big window T-Top to hard top use?

daveL82

OK my 80 Vette is basically a track car but I still drive it on the street. Having the big back glass makes access to the a-arm rear suspension tough as I have to crawl through the passenger compartment to remove a tray I've located over the rear suspension.

Been thinking about removing the T-top section and back glass then use a hard top that I could remove when needed. Would not be installing a convertible top. My roll bar will give my protection when the T-top frame is removed above the doors.

1) does this require new door glass to fit the hard top?
2) how much of the 80 rear surround could I reuse or would I need to buy and install a 74 to 75 rear surround? Would be nice if I could trim the 80 surround to make the hardtop work
3) paint is not an issue as the car needs a repaint anyway
4) any interference with 80 fuel inlet location?

Just tossing this idea around to see if viable

One of our local drag race fellows, installed his rear lexan with Dzues fasteners on his prostreet F body Camaro. He removes it to clean! The "bubble back" is similar to my 78, but the Dzeus fasteners are EXPENSIVE.

It is another approach, and you'd keep the 80 'look."

Cheers - Jim

yes you need convertible door glass, you can see in this 82's picture the rear of the door glass is raked forward.

DSCF1169.jpg

Mine was done with a 74 rear clip, I would think trying to do it using the 78-82 rear upper deck would be a nightmare in the making. You are better off finding a a used 74-75 upper deck and declid and hinges.

here you can see the 74 fuel hole was filled and the 82 filler hole area grafted in right location.

DSCF1173.jpg

here it is with decklid up, easy access to trunk area

strippedvette4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys this helps a lot. Looks like I would need a deck lid and surround which is pushing the cost way up. I'll revisit using 3/16 lexan and maybe hinge it if possible. Dzus is an option.