Carbon Fiber body parts

Seriously, lol? Why would someone need that many ACC plugs in a 2 seat car?

:surrender:Well then, maybe have too build in; the GPS, Data Acquisition currently using 2 versions, Tablet/phone charger, and the hotspot charger. Although some of that detail work could be handled in the double DIN "object."

If ODB2-4U ever comes along, (an Arduino based replica LINK: http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1714 ) much of the gauge data could be fed/displayed to a HUD - like single screen. That would change the layout of the Instrument Cluster significantly, but not the ACC panel.

Cheers - Jim

Seriously, lol? Why would someone need that many ACC plugs in a 2 seat car?

:surrender:Well then, maybe have too build in; the GPS, Data Acquisition currently using 2 versions, Tablet/phone charger, and the hotspot charger. Although some of that detail work could be handled in the double DIN "object."

If ODB2-4U ever comes along, (an Arduino based replica LINK: http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1714 ) much of the gauge data could be fed/displayed to a HUD - like single screen. That would change the layout of the Instrument Cluster significantly, but not the ACC panel.

Cheers - Jim

Yeah, the double din radio I want has GPS and you can get them with WIFI and other goodies. I'm not a tablet person so the only thing I'd need a charger for is my phone. I thought about adding in two ACC plugs, but haven't come up with a good way to incorporate two and make it look nice. I'll come up with something.

Here is a quick sketch I did for an interior idea I had. Let me know what you think.

My opinion: Put the guages up at the top for quick veiwing. Put radio & A/C & such down on the console.

The Camaro gauges have to sit on a flat surface so going up higher there really isn't a good place to put them. Besides, that is exactly how they sit in the Camaro, right behind the shifter.

STILL have not received my equipment yet to make parts... this is getting a tad ridiculous.

Here is a quick sketch I did for an interior idea I had. Let me know what you think.

I would be highly interested in something like this... I have this on my list next for a custom center console exactly like this...

Equipment and parts are finally coming in and I am about to begin the process of making molds. I'll keep you posted.

Pictures - if you please. It would be nice to see your operation.
Resin Infusion, vacuum set up etc, if you have time.

Pictures - if you please. It would be nice to see your operation.
Resin Infusion, vacuum set up etc, if you have time.

Yes, I will be taking pictures and video so hopefully people can get a look at what we are doing.

Here are the hoods we have to work with so far. Obviously the most desired one we have at this point is the '67 big block hood. I will be looking to pick up the big block/LT1 hood as well as the L-88 hood.

We also have T-Tops with which to work with. My plan is to make a one piece top that utilizes the original hinging mechanisms.

Attachments

• DSC00315.jpg
    DSC00315.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00316.jpg
    DSC00316.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00319.jpg
    DSC00319.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 10
Not too much of an update. Doing body work on the hoods to make them nice and straight. Takes time but will be worth it for the end product. Our goal is to get a couple pieces made to take to Carlisle for the big corvette show.

Attachments

• DSC00320.jpg
    DSC00320.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00322.jpg
    DSC00322.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 12
Had a long night last night, but got the top half of the first hood covered in gel and reinforced. Today we will do the other side and by tomorrow we will be separating the two halves.

Attachments

• DSC00328.jpg
    DSC00328.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00327.jpg
    DSC00327.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00326.jpg
    DSC00326.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00325.jpg
    DSC00325.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 12
Just wondering - are you planning on re-enforcing the molds with any timber - etc to keep it rigid and maintain shape once you pull it off you "plug"?

I'm getting ready to do some flares and plan on using foam "noodles" (like at the pool) and glass those to the mold to keep it stable when I separate.

Cheers - Jim

Just wondering - are you planning on re-enforcing the molds with any timber - etc to keep it rigid and maintain shape once you pull it off you "plug"?

I'm getting ready to do some flares and plan on using foam "noodles" (like at the pool) and glass those to the mold to keep it stable when I separate.

Cheers - Jim

The complete molding system I went with does not specify to use anything like what you are suggesting. It's purely gel coat, then fiberglass reinforcement.

Ok... It's been a long and tiring last week but I have some updates.

Got the first hood molded and separated. Had some minor issues but nothing we can't work with I don't think. Worst case, we take what we've learned and re-mold. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSC00334.jpg
    DSC00334.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00333.jpg
    DSC00333.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00332.jpg
    DSC00332.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00331.jpg
    DSC00331.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00329.jpg
    DSC00329.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 14
Well, it's been a trying week this week. We had one hood ready to infuse and couldn't find all of the leaks in our vacuum bag. The only other thing to do at that point is to re-bag but we didn't have enough bagging material. I'm getting tired of waiting for supplies to come in...

We did prep the '67 BB hood for molding and began the process today.

Attachments

• DSC00336.jpg
    DSC00336.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00339.jpg
    DSC00339.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00337.jpg
    DSC00337.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00338.jpg
    DSC00338.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 9
That SUX - NOT!

I use Joe the Woodworker. He specializes in vacuum supplies for veneer work. Has some specials on occasion. And ships pretty fast too.

I also just bought a new vacuum tap/port from US Composites. It is a silicone fitting that should guarantee a better seal at the port. I've always struggled for that leak.

I've been using the yellow vacuum seal tape - and often back it up with 2 inch wide blue 3m painters tape. I'm going to build a table and frame - Joe has plans on his web site. Useful for large flat pieces - think hoods?

Cheers - Jim