Auto tranny temps....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Temps nearly 90f ambient, partly cloudy/sunny , cruising 40-50 mph for maybe 15 miles, through about 2 miles of traffic and burb.....

200 4r running 224f temps...at the pan....

engine runnint ~190 with a/c on all the way, ....has rad tank then cooler in front

what you all think??

too hot?? seem too hot to me....

any clue why??

at what pan temp the tranny in serious troubles...

it was measured/shot with a IR gun....which is damn accurate...up to boiling water....

Mine was running 170 after 8 hwy hours. That's shooting the tranny cooler, cooling lines and inline filter and it has no rad cooler. I don't know how it can get that hot after 15min. You sure the IR gun it hitting the right target? Can you hold your hand on the cooler? If so the gun is rong.

No lockup might cause it to get hotter than normal.

Mine was running 170 after 8 hwy hours. That's shooting the tranny cooler, cooling lines and inline filter and it has no rad cooler. I don't know how it can get that hot after 15min. You sure the IR gun it hitting the right target? Can you hold your hand on the cooler? If so the gun is rong.

No lockup might cause it to get hotter than normal.

Gene -
If no answer here - that sound like something Right up Grumpy Vette's alley:
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com
I'll be listening/watching as I've yet to re-install my 200-4R!
Were you in OD - or??? What's the Rear End?

Cheers - Jim

It was in lockup the vast majority of the time....but of course in burban commercial traffic for some 2-3 miles, only thing cooling it is the dual spal fans.....tranny cooler is in front of the a/c cond.....336 rear, stock diameter tires....
I was shooting the pan with a laser pointer on the temp reader gun....true it's a Harbor Freight China import, but it's been proven accurate in the past via my fluke meter with temp input probes....over fairly wide temps....

yeh, it could be off, but maybe 10f at most, and I seriously doubt that much....

:bonkers::flash:

wonder I should get a larger cooler,....thing is maybe 6" tall and 15" long....

[It was in lockup the vast majority of the time....but of course in burban commercial traffic for some 2-3 miles, only thing cooling it is the dual spal fans.....tranny cooler is in front of the a/c cond.....336 rear, stock diameter tires....
I was shooting the pan with a laser pointer on the temp reader gun....true it's a Harbor Freight China import, but it's been proven accurate in the past via my fluke meter with temp input probes....over fairly wide temps....

yeh, it could be off, but maybe 10f at most, and I seriously doubt that much....

it shouldn't even be up to operating temp in 15 min. I would expect something like 120 deg.

[It was in lockup the vast majority of the time....but of course in burban commercial traffic for some 2-3 miles, only thing cooling it is the dual spal fans.....tranny cooler is in front of the a/c cond.....336 rear, stock diameter tires....

it shouldn't even be up to operating temp in 15 min. I would expect something like 120 deg.

I screwed up, I had driven to a customer's house, and back, allowing a carpet man to measure.....so it's 15 miles each way....so car was warm as toast, and so into my garage to take measure....:crap: engine was legit warm, and because top was up, I noted one little thing, when at speed about ~40 mph, the fans turned off, much less and they turned ON, never noted it before, seldom is the top up to see the indicator light....

:shocking:

google is your friend... here's a cool chart
heatchrt.jpg

that said, I've had several transmissions with an attendant temp gauge, and 225* hasn't been an issue. Heck, if you don't have a cooler on the front of your radiator, your temperature will be in the 200* range

Last edited:
heatchrt.jpg

that said, I've had several transmissions with an attendant temp gauge, and 225* hasn't been an issue. Heck, if you don't have a cooler on the front of your radiator, your temperature will be in the 200* range

So much of what I get on the net is BS that I just go here for solid tech information anymore.....not that your info there is bad, it does seem reasonable.....

which sez I need a MUCH larger cooler....it's a junkyard find....

oh well, I try again....

:shocking::crap:

I bolied 3 qts out of my 700R the first run up Mt Palomar. After this cooler install that Noonie found for me, it's lucky to get even close to hot.
34939cdb4ec56f.jpg
I think it was $100 all said and done.

Last edited:
heatchrt.jpg

So much of what I get on the net is BS that I just go here for solid tech information anymore.....not that your info there is bad, it does seem reasonable.....

which sez I need a MUCH larger cooler....it's a junkyard find....

oh well, I try again....

:shocking::crap:

yeah, I hear that - I was looking for something I already knew, so it was easier to find that graph. But yeah, between the folks trying to sell you swampland in Florida, and the kids who have their homework done - it can be a jungle on the 'net

I bolied 3 qts out of my 700R the first run up Mt Palomar. After this cooler install that Noonie found for me, it's lucky to get even close to hot.
34939cdb4ec56f.jpg
I think it was $100 all said and done.

:shocking: That's a nice one, got any info on it?? maybe I need just ebay around, think I do that.....:beer:

I am convinced that my best solution is to use a engine oil cooler I got from one of the guys here some years ago....I never used it because fitting it up and hoses was a bitch, and so when fishing around I visited our local Erols dealer here next door, and he said the Erol's engine oil cooler I had is too much cooler for a tranny, IMO, NOT in Florida anyway....so I finally figgered out how to get lines in/out cheaply.....using 3/8 OD lines and some ATF hose....

NOW the trick is, where to put the cooler, in front of the a/c condenser or between it and the engine radiator?? or what.....I have a up/over air induction I have to lose, but was looking at maybe in the rear with a old ~10" fan I have, always on, and hell with running through the engine radiator at all....

I maybe take it outta the enging radiator even if in front, anyway....the cooler in there now was commented by the guy at earls as not worth a damn....

so what to do? I can reposition the radiator a bit and relocate the fans, and so at this point, do I really want to get into a whole bag of worms and try a whole new bag of shit, or NOT....

shit's getting tougher and I getting older....shit....:eek::twitch::push::surrender:

Up front
No such thing as too much cooler. Just run it thru the rad exchanger after the cooler to keep it at min temp.
Fan in back spare tire area okay, just check with Baskin first.:smash:

Up front
No such thing as too much cooler. Just run it thru the rad exchanger after the cooler to keep it at min temp.
Fan in back spare tire area okay, just check with Baskin first.:smash:

What he supply, 1/2 a ice cream cone???

I thought it was supposed to be rad then cooler, not the other way around....

I thinking this HUGE Erols cooler should be enough by itself....if necessary I will put it through the radiator first.....

:eek::thumbs:

Many years ago i hooked up the unused a/c condensor as a cooler. Tranny did fail shortly after. Don't know if it was coincidence. Did it again with my old surburban but this time put a filter in line after the condensor.

I bet that would keep the fluid really cool. Someone on CF did it with his C4 and says it never gets above 150.

Many years ago i hooked up the unused a/c condensor as a cooler. Tranny did fail shortly after. Don't know if it was coincidence. Did it again with my old surburban but this time put a filter in line after the condensor.

I bet that would keep the fluid really cool. Someone on CF did it with his C4 and says it never gets above 150.

I did the same thing, jeez really LONG time ago, but had no method of accurately measuring the temp, just had to ASSume it worked....all I know is the car was sold to some chick in Texas that is probably STILL running from the cops....42 years later.....:hissyfit::banghead::gurney::drink:

AND too boot shit is so tight under there now, I wondering about enough room for even that solution on this vette, other car was a '61 Catalina......and some other cars along the way....

but I"d have to beat it in with a hammer on this car now....

Last edited:
That chart (IIRC) is really close to the one GM gave out when I went thru their 700-R4 school. Once it gets to the upper heat ranges, trans life (NOT fluid life) is measured in minutes.
And FWIW, again IMHO, no such thing as too cool for an auto trans. They work as well at -20F as they do at +200F.

That chart (IIRC) is really close to the one GM gave out when I went thru their 700-R4 school. Once it gets to the upper heat ranges, trans life (NOT fluid life) is measured in minutes.
And FWIW, again IMHO, no such thing as too cool for an auto trans. They work as well at -20F as they do at +200F.

Do you think the replacement seals have gotten any better over the years. I'm assuming heat kills the seals and other soft parts. I've never understood why everything didn't come with an air aftercooler. I understand that a liquid to liquid cooler is so much more efficient but if the rad is running 210-220 the tranny oil will never be able to get below that.

Last edited:

Do you think the replacement seals have gotten any better over the years. I'm assuming heat kills the seals and other soft parts. I've never understood why everything didn't come with an air aftercooler. I understand that a liquid to liquid cooler is so much more efficient but if the rad is running 210-220 the tranny oil will never be able to get below that.

Ed Zachary, which is why I have always run some sort of cooler inline after the engine cooler, which is I wonder if it really does any cooling here in FLORIDA....but in fact adds to the tranny temps....TIM??

I play with this a bit here got some more similar trips in the near future so to monitor it with this larger over capacity cooler ( supposedly) and see what happens....

but trick is, we have dropped maybe 10f in ambient temps....so maybe 15f on the road temps...

apples/oranges type shit....

:censored: