Any of you ever own a fiero? Looking at possibly buying one.

JeffP1167

Not for me but my girlfriend. Preferably want a V-6 with automatic, how were the 4 bangers in these as well?

What problems were they known for? And any real problematic stuff I should look for on one?

Were there transmissions good? Were they 3 speed or automatic overdrives?

How were they on fuel?

At what point if any did GM use the later and better headlight motors and can they be retrofitted easily?

Cooling wise, did they have issues? Keep in mind will be in california heat with a/c?

Any rust prone areas that should be checked?

Leakage wise were the sunroofs or t-tops bad?

Ride wise how were they?

Handling wise, how were they?

She has a 03 taurus now so even if the fiero isn't fast not like she will care since her ford sucks anyways, she just wants a sporty looking car.

Also while on this topic any of you have experience with the chevy 3.4 v-6 found in say a 93-94 f-body? How were the reliability and horsepower wise compared to the later 3800 series2 engine?

Not for me but my girlfriend. Preferably want a V-6 with automatic, how were the 4 bangers in these as well?
"She-Who-Must-Be Obeyed" surprised me when I was TDY to the Philippines - and informed me she had just bought a new car - sight unseen. A first year Fiero - delivered to Atlanta on our return from Korea. It was obviously a 4 banger. My comments will only be useful for that - and remember - a first year auto! It was bright red, black interior, and we traded it when the finish was fading in 1989 for a Jeep Grand Cherokee - she likes Jeeps too.

What problems were they known for? And any real problematic stuff I should look for on one?
Fit and finish was good - and I found it rather "zippy." Seating was lower than my '78 Vette - so a better "ground-rush" which it needed a s 4banger - with no augmentation - turbo/etc.

Were there transmissions good? Were they 3 speed or automatic overdrives?
Memory fade - sorry no help there...

How were they on fuel?
Drove from Atlanta - all over the South East and a few runs up I-95 to Mass over the years we had it. Can't give a detail on fuel - but recall having no complaints.

At what point if any did GM use the later and better headlight motors and can they be retrofitted easily?
N0Say Amigo...

Cooling wise, did they have issues? Keep in mind will be in california heat with a/c?
AGain no problems recalled - and seems like the AC was more than adequate - again, dated info.

Any rust prone areas that should be checked?
Ask how many right rear tires they've been through. Her's kept picking up crap and losing a tire - no matter where we were - every 4 months or so - pffft - right rear tire.

Leakage wise were the sunroofs or t-tops bad?
No leaks in the sunroof - and the dark tint did help for bright days. Today I'd build a foam insert to keep the summer heat out.

Ride wise how were they?
That was the best part.

Handling wise, how were they?
This was good too - there are a few aftermarket kits (not the body kits) but handling mods to tighten it up as I recall. It was enjoyable for my first autocross - sorry no time slip...

She has a 03 taurus now so even if the fiero isn't fast not like she will care since her ford sucks anyways, she just wants a sporty looking car.
I always thought the newer ones were pretty neat with the flying buttresses and 6-banger -- or, go get her a SBC!

Also while on this topic any of you have experience with the chevy 3.4 v-6 found in say a 93-94 f-body? How were the reliability and horsepower wise compared to the later 3800 series2 engine?
Really like my Turbo 2 Liter Vortec in the Solstice GXP Coupe! With the GMC chip mod its 330 HP/325 FT LBs.

Maybe that helps - Good Hunting!

Cheers - Jim

I bought an '88 Forumula, last year, and best of the bunch paid 2400 bux for it, long about '98 or so, white with sunroof, and the 2.8 V6, auto of course a/c.....the thing could scoot pretty good, even in rain, pull most anything, engine being back THERE where traction Gods intended.....

rust not an issue, I did have to redo the sun roof gasket, but it IS FLORIDA, ya think??? I redid the intake and did some hotrod uptakes, but it's only been ~13 years or so....

the little skunk ran FINE for me, being ten years old.....

but I have to say, at 80 mph, you KNOW where that engine is, and in the rain, you know it at 60 mph....

and that's the '88 FORMULA model....supposedly the best of the bunch....

years ago there was a Fiero performance shop just up the road from me in Montgomery Co. Maryland....forget the name...sorry, do a search....

:bounce::bump:

Thanks, im going to pheonix this weekend to look at a 86 gt. Nice car white over silver with grey interior. V-6 with auto and 128000 miles.

Thanks, im going to pheonix this weekend to look at a 86 gt. Nice car white over silver with grey interior. V-6 with auto and 128000 miles.

Jeff, the '88's are the ones you want, not the early versions.....

join a Fiero forum, and you will find that is generally admitted....

they changed a ton of shit, and typical GM turned around a dumped the thing....

they rare as hen's teeth....but find a '88 FORMULA Fiero.....

Weren't they known for catching on fire?

4599602289_b031124d99_z.jpg

Ralphy

'84-85?? and they fixed that issue....

and I THINK it was limited to the 4 cyl engine, not the 2.8 V6.....

mine was a 2.8 being a Formula, and the smaller car with the goodies and no extra weight like the 'upscale' version....I forget the sales name....

:crutches:

The story I've read is, that after experiencing problems with the Fiero, GM made continual improvements until the Fiero (V6) evolved into a very desirable car and one that could have been very competitive on the international market. Then GM cancelled it. GM executive don't get paid those big bonuses for nothing.

After spending billions(?) on Jaguar and Range Rover, the lines weren't profitable. Ford sold these cars to an Indian company (Tela, Teta, Tetra?) because they were loosing money. Thanks to the improvements because of Ford's investments and increases in reliability, the Indian company has scored hundreds of millions of dollars (?) of profits off of these two car lines. They lost money off of the cheap cars they sold in India. Like dumping the Fiero, why did Ford dump Jaguar and Range Rover..because of previous years of losses.

Thanks guys but I bought a 1997 z28 and took its engine and put it into my camaro and then took my 3.8 and put it into the z28 and my girlfriend loves the z28 with a 6 banger.