hood problem

rzkas

hi? i have a 82 corvette. my hood locks just fine but it not alinged. right side look ok but the other side (left side) there is a big gap btw hood and fender and there is a gap also front by the headlight area. how can i align this hood to fit right or do i also have to aling the whole front nose

Agree with Marck. A pic would be best. Saying that, how big a gap on either side? My experience says your gap should be roughly 1/4" on either side. If you have more on one side and less on the other, it may be as simple as loosening the hinge bolts and twisting until you get it right. If that's not the case and one or both sides are significantly larger than that, it could be an indication that the front has been repaired at some point.

pls i need instructions on how to post or upload pics. Standing in front of d nose The gap on d right is bigger than gap on d left

Here at VetteMOD you don't have to use an external picture hosting service like photobucket or tinypic. You can upload your picture right here on VM and post it with the supplied code.

Here's how you post a pic, refer to the picture below for details

A) On the screen navigate to the menu up top and click on the Image Hosting button, a drop down menu will appear with some options to choose. To post a pic you obviously need to upload it first. So, click upload a pic.

You will be taken to a picture upload screen (don't mind the # of upload slots you see here, you won't have as many). Maximum picture sizes and upload amount details are displayed on the left.

B) Click the Browse buttons (it says "bladeren" in the pic, that's because my browser uses Dutch language for buttons, it means "browse") and a windows explorer screen will appear. Navigate to the pic you want to upload, double click and the actual local file location will appear (usually c:\......). You can upload several pics at the same time (as many as the # of slots available to you). So, if you want to upload more than one, click the browse button in the next slot and navigate to the appropriate picture.
When done, click "Host it". Upload will start and won't be finished until you get a completion screen and are taken to your own picture gallery after. If an error occurs it's usually related to file sizes. For this, check the picture size.

C) If you want to resize your picture quickly, download the "ImageResizePowerToy". It's a Microsoft Windows Explorer plugin. After install you can right click any picture and select "resize" from the menu. After resizing the resized picture will be available in the same directory with a similar name and an added tag (like imagename(large).jpg). After resizing the pic it should now be ready for upload.

D) Your gallery will list your pictures as well as 3 sets of code (the set private and delete buttons are self explanatory).

The BBCode is what you normally use to show your picture full size. Don't be afraid to post full size pictures. The VetteMOD software automatically resizes large pictures, where posted these can then be clicked to blow up again.

The BBCode with URL posts a click-able thumbnail that opens the full size in a new screen. This is handy when you're posting the picture somewhere else and don't want to post a large picture (or to have people click your pic and take them to VetteMOD ;) ).

The last is the HTML code. People that know what to do with that probably won't need this tutorial :idea:

24973ca2b7b166.jpg

Hope this helps with pic posting.

Isn't a 82 hood, so that is probably why it is like that.

In this picture you can see the centerline between your headlights but then if you look at the hoods centerline it doesn't line up.

If you need measurements from fender to fender let me know and I will get them from my 82 this weekend.

DSC01170.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for posting the pic like that. i tried to do so but wasn't successful. how did you post it so easily?
pls send me measurement of your hood. top(near windshield) side to side width and bottom(near headlight) side to side width and length.

pls also tell me the width from one fender to the other fender. i want to know the hood open area width.

i thinks it a 1975 to 1979 hood. i got the car with this hood on. hood from a 1975 to 1979 doesn't fit on a 82 corvette. pls i need to fix my hood and hood alignment issue.

Last edited:
thanks for posting the pic like that. i tried to do so but wasn't successful. how did you post it so easily?
pls send me measurement of your hood. top(near windshield) side to side width and bottom(near headlight) side to side width and length.

pls also tell me the width from one fender to the other fender. i want to know the hood open area width.

i thinks it a 1975 to 1979 hood. i got the car with this hood on. hood from a 1975 to 1979 doesn't fit on a 82 corvette. pls i need to fix my hood and hood alignment issue.

hood 45" near windshield 37 near headlights. fender to fender about 4 inches from windshield 45 1/4 near headlights 37 1/4.

I basically have a 1/8th inch gap all around the hood. So something is way off on your car. Maybe has a after-market clip on the front or hood is just messed up. Those measurements should help though.

looking at this picture though I see a possible issue. While the hood appears to be press molded (factory hood)smooth on inside. I'm looking at the lips whon the fenders where the hood closes. While your drivers side has a wide lip like mine approx. 1" wide or so .... You passenger side doesn't have that where as my car looks the same on both sides, but could be just the way you picture is. If they are not the same in this area , my guess is it has been replaced. But let us know if that lip is present on the other fender.

DSC01175.jpg

In this picture the center line of the hood appears about 1" off to the left of the center line between the headlights. My guess if you line that up you will have a small gap between drivers fender and hood and it will prove the passenger fender is ultimately the source of the problem. You might want to look under the fender and see if it is smooth and if you see any damage repair. Post up more pictures of the edges around the hood opening.

DSC01170.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Jeff, the passenger side fender seems to have been replaced and is possibly the reason for the huge gap. Your hood has to be shifted towards the driver side so that the center body line lines up from hood to front surround, then move the fenders to correct the gaps left/right. The hood looks rough but it does look like it's bone stock (looks just like the one I had on my '79) so I would move the fenders, the driver side is probably ok, I suspect the passenger side might be a PITA to squeeze into position....

so i guess the hood is compatible with this car correct?. i will measure the hood and i will let ya know. looking at it, it looks like the side of the right fender was repaired sometime ago. i will try to add some pics of the the whole car .
DSC011771.jpg
DSC011761.jpg
DSC011781.jpg

Last edited:
I did my measurement for the hood and hood space/opening. they are pretty close. i got for hood opening 46" and 37-1/5" and for the hood itself, i got 45-1/2" , 37-3/8" and 61-1/8".

hood 45" near windshield 37 near headlights. fender to fender about 4 inches from windshield 45 1/4 near headlights 37 1/4.

I basically have a 1/8th inch gap all around the hood. So something is way off on your car. Maybe has a after-market clip on the front or hood is just messed up. Those measurements should help though.

looking at this picture though I see a possible issue. While the hood appears to be press molded (factory hood)smooth on inside. I'm looking at the lips whon the fenders where the hood closes. While your drivers side has a wide lip like mine approx. 1" wide or so .... You passenger side doesn't have that where as my car looks the same on both sides, but could be just the way you picture is. If they are not the same in this area , my guess is it has been replaced. But let us know if that lip is present on the other fender.

DSC01175.jpg

In this picture the center line of the hood appears about 1" off to the left of the center line between the headlights. My guess if you line that up you will have a small gap between drivers fender and hood and it will prove the passenger fender is ultimately the source of the problem. You might want to look under the fender and see if it is smooth and if you see any damage repair. Post up more pictures of the edges around the hood opening.

DSC01170.jpg

so i guess the hood is compatible with this car correct?. i will measure the hood and i will let ya know. looking at it, it looks like the side of the right fender was repaired sometime ago. i will try to add some pics of the the whole car .
DSC011771.jpg
DSC011761.jpg
DSC011781.jpg

Look like to me everything to the passenger side of that line between the headlights is cockeyed. You can also see the the origibnal 2 tone stripe and crossfire emblem on drivers side but this is all gone on passenger side. Look like you have a car that took a hard hit to the right front and everything shifted that way.

The hood hinges cant be moved much so maybe the radiator support has shifted badly to the right and that is why the fender lip was removed cause the hood couldn't be shut. Either way to get car back to normal I think you are going to need a replacement front clip and possibly replacement frame and or alot of front end parts.

which stuff? front yes it hood hinge and by the fire wall is the hinge or part that hold the hood down