Ideal shifter location

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I'm thinking about swapping to manual trans and I'm 6'6"
So, let's say you don't mind stock shifter console, with my size, where would you put the shifter?

Just sit in the car and see where your hand comes to rest on the console, you can modify the shifter to accommodate your height.

I am 6"2" and find shifting, or more accurately "clutching" my C3 to be cramped and restrictive. I searched for 2 years to find a bent turn signal lever (correct for '79) to allow me to operate the clutch without hitting the lever. At 6'6" I would think long and hard before giving up the comfort of an automatic tranny.

Just sit in the car and see where your hand comes to rest on the console, you can modify the shifter to accommodate your height.

I am 6"2" and find shifting, or more accurately "clutching" my C3 to be cramped and restrictive. I searched for 2 years to find a bent turn signal lever (correct for '79) to allow me to operate the clutch without hitting the lever. At 6'6" I would think long and hard before giving up the comfort of an automatic tranny.

I"m 6'5" and age 66 now, had my car for some 15 years, when I got it, it was a super duper paint job on a modified body '72 vert with hardtop, interior and drivetrain was stock as a stove,....engine was a fresh rebuild though L48, with Muncie 336 rear....had that busdriver wheel and fixed column, shifting was tricky at best knees always on the wheel, and so, I bought a late shark column, and the smaller/better wheel, moved the dimmer to the column to get me another 6 cu in of space on the floor for my size 13 shoes....redid the seats/interior to stockish trim levels....

after moving to Florida, in '97 I needed overdrive, but not to spend 5 grand on the upgrade, that was just flat stupid....we drive much higher speeds for hours on end, something not done in Wash DC region....so in went a O/D automatic, cheepest solution, but had to widen the tunnel on pass side by about 1.5 inches...dunno why, never heard of anyone else need to do that......shifter remained a modded stick shift mount in stock position....
never did fashion any lockouts...move the lever, car rolls, that simple....

as arthritis made life more difficult, I tore the car down winter 01-02, redid a bunch of stuff, rack steering, lowered the drivers seat by removing the rear support tabs, and carpeting from under the front mounts, removed the seat belt covers and used the OEM seat padding with a little extra rubber under the new covers....that and some spring removal gave me another inch or better in headroom... cut floorboard up near firewall all across the bottom and up to the steering column height, pried it forward 3" or so, glassed it in, bent and lowered the pedals a similar distance, that relaxed my knees to be off the TT column, I had also bent the t/s lever up to the steering wheel.....

so now the car fits me well enough.....wife is 5'6" and so she need slide the seat forward and put a pillow under her butt/back to drive the car, which is very seldom.....:clap::clap:

This car have been my student car for years, and it was a manual as always in France at that time. I will never feel cramped in a Vette, believe me. :rofl:

This car have been my student car for years, and it was a manual as always in France at that time. I will never feel cramped in a Vette, believe me. :rofl:

OMG, a Citroen....back in the 60's a buddy from church had one, it had flip out turn signals from the door pillars, and a really narrow rear with wide track on the front, strangest car I ever seen.....

another friend in college had a Renault Dauphine metal so thin I could see through it.....

:devil:

In the early 80's the M/Engineer I worked with had a Peugeot diesel.....and so I asked why, he said parts are easy to get, they been making it so long.....then his starter went out.....so they asked him to bring in the old one.....so they knew which one it was....stealership only item, and so there were 4 different starters possible.....and holy CRAP, that thing cost him in the many hundreds of bux.....

like 400 something, early 80's.....when American starters ran maybe 50 bux......same essential thing....

Last edited:
OMG, a Citroen....back in the 60's a buddy from church had one, it had flip out turn signals from the door pillars, and a really narrow rear with wide track on the front, strangest car I ever seen.....
Yes, I think we already talked about that, the DS, never a car has been that ahead of its time (it came out in 55!!!) There's one parked a block away from here, a design as radical as a C3

another friend in college had a Renault Dauphine metal so thin I could see through it.....
It was people's car in my parents young days, actually one of the very first mass produced car a young working couple could dream buying one. The waiting list was months long. It was so light the usual mod was to put a concrete block in the front truck/hood (engine at the rear) to prevent it from taking off at highway speed.