Hats Off To Jim Shea / '73 Steering Issue

DC3

Just wanted to tip my hat to Jim Shea for all his efforts at educating us about GM steering.

I bought my '73 about 19 months ago and immediately discovered that the turn signals did not cancel properly. While doing some research, I found Jim's papers and many of his posts which helped me identify several mistakes Bubba had made. Ended up pulling the steering wheel, lining up all the marks per Jim, and adjusting the tie rods to center the wheel. Discovered that someone had re-assembled the lower shaft 180 degrees out and (per Jim's tip) chose to rotate the column at the rag joint to compensate rather than disassemble at this time.

All in all this made some improvement but I still wasn't pleased with the way the turn signals canceled. Discussed the issue with Jim and decided to purchase a new canceling cam. Took the column apart, installed the new cam and re-installed everything exactly the way it was before. Turns out that was a mistake. My efforts resulted in no improvement.

Went for a drive the next day and as I was backing from the driveway, the horn started honking and would not stop. Had to pull back in the garage and disconnect the battery. From reading Jim's papers, I already suspected what the problem would be and sure enough, I discovered the C-clip retainer/insulator had disintegrated into several pieces.

Found the part number (7808385) in Jim's papers and did a google search on the number to see where I could pick up the part. Google listed a few places but also listed a post Jim had made in which he posted a photo of the column with the compression tool in place. I knew what my problem was as soon as I looked at that photo. Some Bubba from the past had installed the canceling cam, lock plate and c-clip upside down!

Called Scoggin Dickey (great place) the next morning and they ordered the part for next day pickup. Reinstalled everything in the correct orientation and now my turn signals cancel properly!

I learned a lot during this process and I'm not sure I would have made it without all of Jim's efforts.

Thanks Jim! :beer:

DC

I had several of the same problems you had. Jim was a big help in getting everything sorted out. Great to have people like him around.