Air filter clearance issues?

arneoe

I have available two filter configurations, 2" and 3" element heights, see attached pics. I currently have an Edelbrock Performer EPS and consider swapping to a Performer RPM Air-gap or a Power+Plus Crosswind. I am using an Edelbrock #1411 and want to know if there will be clearance issues for my 78 C3 hood.

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

Please anyone, what is the measured distance from SBC block to hood?

Rgds
Arne

To the best of my knowledge you will need a high rise hood if you plan on using the air gap manifold.
I do not have the actual measurements, but I do have an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake manifold with a Holley 750, drop base air cleaner and a 2" air filter. I need a high rise hood with this combination (and a 3" air filter is a problem for me too).
I hope that helps.

The easy way to check that is to take some aluminum foil and ball it up loosely, then lower the hood with things in place, that tells you the clearance, just examine the foil crushed areas....IF this was done with the OEM system in place, you could then compare various parts to see what the stack up was....

other than that, try it now, see what is....

:hi:

That EPS intake and 3" element will fit under you're hood with that drop base, i had one on my 78,a friend has the same thing on his 69,both stock hoods.

I tried to use a drop base for the air filter and it hit the spark plug wires on the distributor - one more area to check clearance.

Thank you¨all for the replies, I probably have to stick to my Edel Performer EPS.
Arne