WHY side pipes?

I do not understand the reason for side pipes. What are the advantages I am unaware of?
?There must be some reason that many C3 race cars run them.

I`ll give this a shot...open headers are less restrictive that full muffled exhaust except that in a road race car the heat a noise from under the car would be unbearable...make sense?? if not shoot me in the head and bury me in a minivan...preferably a Chrysler minivan.

Jeezus H. Kryist.....at least a turbo Neon or a turbo Colt, for God's sake....

minivan...:hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::banned::zzz:

I`m hoping to die (at an old age) having never driven a minivan let alone owning one...hell going from a 2 door to a 4 door car was bad enough.....

1) It's a lot easier to work on the transmission, differential, etc if the exhaust pipes aren't there, which is the case with sidepipes.

I`ll give this a shot...open headers are less restrictive that full muffled exhaust except that in a road race car the heat a noise from under the car would be unbearable...make sense??

Bingo! I believe redvetracr hit the nail on the head. At least that was the thinking back then. The first quote is the main reason why I leave mine on today.

Bullshark

They do sound great, I like the way mine sound with no baffles, but i dont think the cars around me like it to much.
We need a sound byte Kev. Did you go straight from headers into the side pipes or pipes into an X joint, down to the back of the car then back up to the side pipes?

Headers straight to the side pipes,no baffles,no X pipe.
384b15cf168a460.jpg

I will get a sound byte of it real soon.

Well not side pipes but side exhaust...
I'll tell you why, true story:
The power antenna wasn't working so I decided to take a look see if I could replace it.
No left muffler in the way...bugger..can I get the muffler off?
No, welded on.....bugger..is that rust?
What size is that pipe anyway..1/2 inch?
So I got a sawzall and cut the exhaust just behind the cross member, removed about 50lbs of dead weight, put on two thrush turbo mufflers and a 90 degr. bend.
If loud equals performance I got a good performance increase and a leaf blower too.

93649ab237e031f8.jpg

Oh, the question was why? because I wanted to replace the antenna..true story.

Last edited:
Oh, the question was why? because I wanted to replace the antenna..true story.

The reasoning sounds SO familiar.....

:twitch::eek::smash:

262-lg.jpg

because they look great.... i am thinking about taking my hookers off and putting on some stahl headers and side tubes. kwplot34 you got some more pics of that car with the black headers..... i think if i go with the stahl's they will be painted black.

here is what my big block sounds like with out baffles
[ame=http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/brngrhd/vette/?action=view&current=vette154.flv]th_vette154.jpg[/ame]

and here it is with the crappy hooker baffles

[ame=http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/brngrhd/vette/?action=view&current=vette147.flv]th_vette147.jpg[/ame]

and with STS's baffles that have about a one inch hole in them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvrSMQUokc#t=2m33s

sorry about the music i did not make the video

same with this one
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0npEu6joeI[/ame]

So thru this all it sounds like sidepipes are mostly a BB thing.

Is there a reasonable SBC sidepipe setup that will sort out the lousy ground clearance at the rear of the 81?:confused:

Is there a reasonable SBC sidepipe setup that will sort out the lousy ground clearance at the rear of the 81?:confused:

I "believe" Paragon makes side pipes for the 81's, but I know nothing about them. Just look at their website and see.

Hooker also makes the same set set for SB Corvette. I'm about to cut up a set to mod for my LSx conversion. No ground clearance problems with either SB or BB set. If anything, they solve the problem of undercar exhaust problems on a Corvette. Especially if you have a 2 1/2" system like I did on my '74. The Hooker SB/BB side pipe set must be by far the most popular aftermarket exhaust system for these cars. They've been making and selling them forever. Chrome, Black or now ceramic coated. I love 'em.