WHY side pipes?

So nobody knows of any performance factor, they are just bling.

Nothing wrong with bling.

Now why I asked the question:

On my 81 project I am contemplating a side exhaust and wondered if there was a reason other than bling that I needed to be aware of such as tuning, clearences, etc.

Good to see a thread go 3 pages :yahoo:

Love the passion in some of these replies. When you say "sidepipes" they seem to fall into three groups:

Stock GM manifolds, pipes, mufflers covers: very expensive, beatiful to look at and flow like straw. Practical because no burns, impractical because they really kill power

Hooker set up: cost half or less of a GM set up, look killer to most people, variety of mufflers from restrictive to super loud and free flowing. Downside is burns suck and the factory hooker mufflers are aweful restrictive.

Custom: real tuned headers into a real collector into Sweet Thunder side pipes or similar. Upside is superior power to all above, great sounds, you can use fiberglass aftermarket covers that look factory but cost $250. Looks stock, fits good. Downside is the cost high. Stahl headers are like $900.

All offer improved groud clearance (try to fit a 3" pipe under a Corvette even if you hack the cross member they get killed under the diff.) and cooler interior temperatures. Do what makes you happy!

Good question and good answers. I will still (eventually) run side pipes on mine, although I'll be getting a set of Dean's shields to prevent a nasty burn :D

It sure would be a shame to burn your lovely ladies silky smooth legs, or were those your legs????????:drink:

Why did I put in the LS motor, make a cowl induction, why did I lower it, why the sidepipes?????
I wanted to........
BTW, the sweet thunder sidepipe mufflers are actually fairly quiet.
vette1.jpg

Last edited:
1) It's a lot easier to work on the transmission, differential, etc if the exhaust pipes aren't there, which is the case with sidepipes.

2) Heat. The exhaust pipes probably run something like 1000 degrees F up near the front of the car. I think the exhaust temp out of the cylinder is close to 1800 degrees F. There's only a little bit of insulation between your foot (on the accelerator) and the exhaust pipe. Hence C3 hotfoot syndrone. When switching to sidepipes, the interior of my cars has become noticeably cooler. Also, you can use a composite rear spring without concern that the exhaust pipe temperatures will deteriorate the spring.

3) They're noisey. Sometimes that's really neat, especially since cars today tend to be very quiet. Sort of a Harley thing. However, there are occassions when I wish the car was quiet.

Reading the last 3 posts here, reminds me....Jed's Clamper came with HEADERS on it.....

I am going to put SIDE PIPES on it.....

exiting just before the rear wheels....

:evil::rofl::rofl::drink:

Good question and good answers. I will still (eventually) run side pipes on mine, although I'll be getting a set of Dean's shields to prevent a nasty burn :D

It sure would be a shame to burn your lovely ladies silky smooth legs, or were those your legs????????:drink:

Well, both really although I know if She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed were to burn her legs on side pipes, I think the door would be slammed and she'd probably yell something about never getting in the stupid car again...

I do not understand the reason for side pipes.

It appears to me the header type side pipes have excessively long primary tubes, and ingress egresss is more difficult.

what are the advantages I am unaware of?
Thanks.

They are BITCHIN ! ! ! !

Rich:beer:

Nobody mentioned that they were something else that you could polish!

I spent 2 hours rubbing my Hookers yesterday! Oooh, that sounds dirty! :twitch:- Yet another reason to have them!:thumbs:

Nobody mentioned that they were something else that you could polish!

I spent 2 hours rubbing my Hookers yesterday! Oooh, that sounds dirty! :twitch:- Yet another reason to have them!:thumbs:

Thought the hookers were to rub YOUR pipes....:waxer::hunter::p

I like my Hooker side pipes. I think they are a very good free flowing system. They un-clutter underneath so all is easier to work on. They look high performance because they are. The sts baffles are reasonably quiet. I made some nice little stainless shields so I don't burn my legs. They fit right in with the rest of the Corvettes attitude.

I noticed that removing the power steering cures them of wanting to drive it....:stirpot:

No need just have them buy there own gas..............that takes car of that problem..........
Saturday.gif

I do not understand the reason for side pipes. What are the advantages I am unaware of?

What's the advantage of a fake hood scoop?
What's the advantage of the fender emblem?
What's the advantage of a chrome exhaust tip?

What's the advantage of a Corvette at all? It's impractical. I don't understand why they are built. Why doesn't everyone buy a minivan? All Vettes should be crushed, and all sidepipes should be recycled and made into Hondas.

you crossed the line with the minivan comment.....:rolleyes:

I do not understand the reason for side pipes. What are the advantages I am unaware of?
?There must be some reason that many C3 race cars run them.

I`ll give this a shot...open headers are less restrictive that full muffled exhaust except that in a road race car the heat a noise from under the car would be unbearable...make sense?? if not shoot me in the head and bury me in a minivan...preferably a Chrysler minivan.