Problems with my NEW Eaton differential

Paying the shipping and taxes/duties you all do would drive me nutz.....

:sos::suicide:

That is a good price!

It is not, w/ a UPS business account, shippnig a complete long block airfreight is around 600. Who is shipping/ Check w/ the shipper, they may very well be making money on the shipment too.

350 may be a good price for joe average but any serious business that caters to customers all over the world will probably have a much cheaper way of shipping than you as an indivivual gets quoted

That is a good price!

It is not, w/ a UPS business account, shippnig a complete long block airfreight is around 600. Who is shipping/ Check w/ the shipper, they may very well be making money on the shipment too.

350 may be a good price for joe average but any serious business that caters to customers all over the world will probably have a much cheaper way of shipping than you as an indivivual gets quoted

I have the parts at my address in 8 days by UPS. I don't know the other price, but I have asked 2 months ago to other company and the normal request was around 500$. I undestand what you said and I'm agree with you.

Now my interest is only the time and the quality of my new differential. Duntow don't anwer jet to my mail in that I suggested a little :)D) upgrade for free in my new differential. Is true, if the old one was good, now I have more buks to spend. I have also the money for the handwork (replace the diff.). Here is normal that a company cover all the costs caused by a bad replacment, but I will happy if Duntov send to me a new diff for around 300$ (with my old back, sure!).

Who will be here ... will see the true!!

Now I have only to know when the new one will arrive. I hope all will be ok, but now I have fear for what I have read and for my last experience. My car never remain in garage in summer.

I have thinked that, when the new didifferential will arrive, I rebalaced all the shafts. Probabily is not necessary, but now I can hear a vibration under the car and on the gear lever when I drive more than 40 milesh. Sure the problem is in the differential frontal yoke (because with the old one the problem there isn't), but I don't want to risk. I don't know if the u-joints coul be damage from this vibration. They are new (1 year) and good quality.

What's your thinking about?

For Gary: You know I'm in debt with you. Thanks for all.

Has the driveshaft been balanced? Double check the new U-joints for play.

That is a good price!

Hahaha, TT you have been screwed!!
I had bare block shipped from the USA to NL for 50USD, plus documents duty and tax it was 180€. It was with http://www.rinkens.com/ pop them (Joanne) an email. I Had to wait for 6 weeks and pick it up myself in rotterdam.

There is always a cheaper way, 350 with no hassle sounds like a good deal to me.

Last edited:
I also had drive train vibration. Much of the vibration I experienced was from the tail of the transmission being too low, the angles were incorrect.

How is possible that?
If my new diff. Is the same (model, size and material) of the original, in the same position with the same shafts?

If are there some things to check, please teel my which ones because is my first (I hope my last) broken differential.:crutches:

In your experience, when you had drive train vibration, the gear lever vibrate too?

I had thinked to install some rubber ring around my M21 gear, but I don't know if is possible.

bye

That is a good price!

Hahaha, TT you have been screwed!!
I had bare block shipped from the USA to NL for 50USD, plus documents duty and tax it was 180€. It was with http://www.rinkens.com/ pop them (Joanne) an email. I Had to wait for 6 weeks and pick it up myself in rotterdam.

There is always a cheaper way, 350 with no hassle sounds like a good deal to me.

Dude, you're talking about container freight. I'm talking about 4 day to door delivery air freight, as in call on monday install on friday. A complete ramjet 502!! not a bare block.

I also had drive train vibration. Much of the vibration I experienced was from the tail of the transmission being too low, the angles were incorrect.

How is possible that?
If my new diff. Is the same (model, size and material) of the original, in the same position with the same shafts?

If are there some things to check, please teel my which ones because is my first (I hope my last) broken differential.:crutches:

In your experience, when you had drive train vibration, the gear lever vibrate too?

I had thinked to install some rubber ring around my M21 gear, but I don't know if is possible.

bye

I had a Richmond 5 speed transmission, it used to vibrate a lot and make the stick shift vibrate so much that it would chatter and make a lot of noise. The transmission itself was OK, I had it rebuilt. Later I replaced the Richmond 5 speed with a Tremec TKO-II (5 speed with overdrive gear). I had read a lot about the vibration problem here and on the DC forum and many times the drive shaft and pinion angle was referred to. When I had the Tremec installed we made sure to get the tail of the transmission in as high as we could, to help with the pinion angle. It worked, the car rides smooth and quiet and the stick shift is smooth and quiet also.
I had the driveshaft balanced while I was trying to remedy the vibration issue, it also helped a lot.

So did you get the new diff and are you back on the roads of Italy yet?

NO! Duntov built a new one for me. The agreement is that they take from my credit card the amount of a new one, when I will have the new diff., I will change it without lost time in "dead period". After I will ship back the broken one to Duntov and they refound on my credit card the amont. My cost is the half of shipping and the lube I have used in my old broken diff.

In the new I will have the steel cloutch and the REAM choated thratament of ring and pinion with the 4° series eaton LS carrier.

They said to me this time supervise the building .... I hope is true because I have lost lot of time.

I hope to have some good news as soon as possible, in the past Day I wrote to Duntov for have news, but I don't have anwer ...

Bye and thanks for your intresting in my problems.

Daniele

Hope it works out for you Dan.....we have to jump on another case....we CAN DO IT......no problemo.....

:smash::smash::thumbs:

Interesting, well you have more patience then most in that situation. I can't say much more, at least not positive. I don't think you're alone either. Good luck.

Here is link to my son's car,he just put it on the road. This has one of my diff's in it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPUimPZwoc[/ame]

Last edited:
Nice sounding vette Gary! How long do you think it'll be before he grenades the rear end....I remember some pics of some of his previous handy work.

The posi unit you built for me is still going strong............although, I don't put the stress on it that your son does.

Last edited:
Well that is a 12 bolt with 373's,30 spline 1350 axles, should last a week or two:smash:LOL
12 bolts can be broken, I've seen them break but I think it will take more then the 475hp he has. Me, I just cruise around every few months in my 325hp 72 that's enough for me these days.
Now I did a 12 bolt for a guy with a blown BB, 950hp, went with 411 & 1480 axles, now that one is a test.

Well that is a 12 bolt with 373's,30 spline 1350 axles, should last a week or two:smash:LOL
12 bolts can be broken, I've seen them break but I think it will take more then the 475hp he has. Me, I just cruise around every few months in my 325hp 72 that's enough for me these days.
Now I did a 12 bolt for a guy with a blown BB, 950hp, went with 411 & 1480 axles, now that one is a test.

:smash::smash:

Holy SHIT!!! the 1/2 shafts are toast....then the spindles.....

after that, anyone's guess....

:twitch::twitch::push:

Interesting, well you have more patience then most in that situation. I can't say much more, at least not positive. I don't think you're alone either. Good luck.

Here is link to my son's car,he just put it on the road. This has one of my diff's in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPUimPZwoc

I know I have patience, but I think is the only way in this bad situation ... I hope all will be ok ....

Good sound in your son's car. What are the size of the tires?