Plastic Fantastic 2

btw, that top picture is at 130 mph

FiTech

I called them today, they're testing the throttle body now. According to them a TPS wire was pinched - which may have caused most, if not all, of my issues with the TBI.... of course, my second, followup question "so, what about the computer that failed?" they hadn't tested it yet... I'm still glad I bought the Holley because it gives me an outside chance of being able to run next weekend as it's going to be delivered (by UPS) on Monday.

as for the 2nd computer.... think "boy, that'd be great to use as a controller for a stack-injection on something silly like a nail head Buick motor....."

so, the new shop supervisor is getting a handle on the expectations
Luigi
FJMGs5r.jpg
I'm not sure these will taste good
j45jPRyh.jpg
make with the treats
xqdSqlxh.jpg
time to remove the center block
ZwG3KTJh.jpg
I think it's been part of the issue with maintaining good temps
HKp3A15h.jpg
the only way I could figure to clamp it
JLTlrSqh.jpg
I still don't know what the sides will look like...edited
QqTnSvch.jpg
3VN8nJVh.jpg
typical boss, sleeping on the job
KHvgaKsh.jpg

FiTech.

They're sending my units back, they found faulty software on the 1st unit and a pinched wire on the 2nd unit.

I'm done with them. I can count the number of failures of the system and it's not looking good for them - getting yelled at by the warranty person was a nice touch too (let's of course, remind that phone call last Monday where the rep said he couldn't imagine why they authorized a RMA... wonder if he's going to call back and apologize? lol). They claim Holley uses 'their' system... well, okay, but Holley wasn't failing at the track; FiTech was. Their entire defense is "well, we fixed our mistakes".... did you? they have no idea why the software corrupted on their system - so whatever the problem is, it will happen again. In their testing they found the fans didn't turn on (even more scary), but once they reloaded the software "it was fine".... so much for that tune that they just deleted, right?

the first thing I noticed about the Holley system... the wires seem appropriately sized. FiTech claims you can run the fuel pump off their wire (an 18 ga wire) - anyone want to bet that's where the corrupting voltage spike came from? after all, I was at full song at the race track (thus pushing the pump pretty hard).... anyway, as I said, I'm done with this system on my C3. It will go on the shelf for another project... like all the other EFI systems on my shelf...

calm before the storm
​​​​​​​WV3qMGJh.jpg
now it's getting serious
nWbnLtLh.jpg
thankfully I have access to my fuel pump
UOLYwMih.jpg
ran the wire down the center console.edited I'm going to put a switch on the dash to turn the pump off
PLG38wNh.jpg

show wiring it is not
WjBWniBh.jpg

I swear I'm going to rename this Corvette Aaron's donkey (referring to Balaam's donkey of Biblical fame). UPS - "we're running late on next day air"... had I got the parts today, I'd have it running by the weekend and potentially able to run an Autox.... now, not a flippin' chance.

this is just a test of your flexibility and your doing way better then i would be. i think i'd be in the corner shaking with grief or madness or both...

this is just a test of your flexibility and your doing way better then i would be. i think i'd be in the corner shaking with grief or madness or both...

To borrow a saying from one of my favorite authors, Douglas Adams.

Taking a vacation from your senses does you no end of good.

anyway, onward
And then the parts arrived...edited
so I know I'm tearing this apart... but I'm fixing several issues at once.edited Obviously the EFI, but the fans need to be on a switch and the fuel pump needs a switch for off too..edited
but first, dewire several wires I don't need
VlNlhjgh.jpg
it arrived, but missing one part.... the clear cover for setting the various angles with the distributor... thankfully, it can be guessed...
vysqJcqh.jpg
calm down, this is temporary so I can build a shelf here.editededited
JijyEaEh.jpg
unneeded wires
VyefhoSh.jpg
controller goes inside
nGCMhgPh.jpg
puppy snoozes
​​​​​​​dWewbCXh.jpg

I'm going to put a wing on this car... what would you put and why?
Here is a project that has been languishing for 5-6 years:

RbIdRCWlkfuMXSdSIBZVE7JuSIh17LP_ZU6MCCLsM&usqp=CAU.jpg
With some testing, you might find it not quite in clear air and might still have a bubble trapped behind the rear window.

This one in "the tunnel" : C1GIPkRWIAAibWw?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Aero balance is important. Note the huge dam on the front:
front__0002_ciro-1.jpg
That could be a splitter/diffuser instead of a dam. A lot of similarities to your project - have no details on this one.
DSCF1165-1.jpg

Adding a belly pan is single best addition you can make - but not without installation challenges. With rake you can get downforce and "tailor" it by changing ride height front/rear. With your side pipes - you have eliminated one of the big installation problems - the exhaust system.
Might start with building a rear diffuser. Downforce with minimum additional drag.

A rear spoiler might be easier to "tune." You can work the angle and trim its size as required. You'll note Brian Hobaugh and Danny Popp tend to use spoilers and not wings - as does Jake Rozelle and his C5Z Corvette. Clear lexan and a hinge with some struts --"eazy-peasy".

Now you know, Big Wings are BAD ASS!

Cheers - Jim

Here is an update on the CIRO Racing (from 2 years ago-Redit):038mbcmizkr21.jpg NOTE - the Side Skirts Side pipes under? That is my plan...

Last edited:
If you go to the APR Performance website and drill down through the products (wings) you can get to the drag/downforce tables. Her is an example for the GT-1000, dual element wing: https://aprperformance.com/racing-product/gt-1000-dual-element-adjustable-wing/

That is their highest downforce wing, but fairly draggy. I just bought a GTC-500 wing from them that better suits my needs. They custom built it with the support pick-up locations at the width they needed. Got it in a week. Very light, high quality CF.

Pappy

I'm going to put a wing on this car... what would you put and why?
Here is a project that has been languishing for 5-6 years:

RbIdRCWlkfuMXSdSIBZVE7JuSIh17LP_ZU6MCCLsM&usqp=CAU.jpg
With some testing, you might find it not quite in clear air and might still have a bubble trapped behind the rear window.

This one in "the tunnel" : C1GIPkRWIAAibWw?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Aero balance is important. Note the huge dam on the front:
front__0002_ciro-1.jpg
That could be a splitter/diffuser instead of a dam. A lot of similarities to your project - have no details on this one.
DSCF1165-1.jpg

Adding a belly pan is single best addition you can make - but not without installation challenges. With rake you can get downforce and "tailor" it by changing ride height front/rear. With your side pipes - you have eliminated one of the big installation problems - the exhaust system.
Might start with building a rear diffuser. Downforce with minimum additional drag.

A rear spoiler might be easier to "tune." You can work the angle and trim its size as required. You'll note Brian Hobaugh and Danny Popp tend to use spoilers and not wings - as does Jake Rozelle and his C5Z Corvette. Clear lexan and a hinge with some struts --"eazy-peasy".

Now you know, Big Wings are BAD ASS!

Cheers - Jim

Here is an update on the CIRO Racing (from 2 years ago-Redit):038mbcmizkr21.jpg NOTE - the Side Skirts Side pipes under? That is my plan...

If I had seen that silver car before I painted mine... that's gorgeous... maybe the next car (ha).

The green C3 at Optima had basically that (without the hinge) flap screwed to its rear spoiler... I was too busy with my troubles to watch him run - but I've watched (you?) with the yarn taped all over a C3 - and my impression was you only really need maybe 6" from the outside because the space behind the rear window is a wind-reversing mess. What is helpful from above is the advice of getting the wing in clean air - in that vein, I note some wings have a raised, center portion, my initial impression is that would create high pressure under the wing and defeat the whole point of a wing.... but they're popular so I must be missing something..

I'm extending the front spoiler to get it closer to the ground - mostly because my impression of a splitter is that it would trap high pressure air under the hood due to our car's bottom-breathing nature. I realize that the right thing to do would be mimic a 80-81 nose but style is, again, going to trump over airflow because that style isn't my style.

Last edited:
If you go to the APR Performance website and drill down through the products (wings) you can get to the drag/downforce tables. Her is an example for the GT-1000, dual element wing: https://aprperformance.com/racing-product/gt-1000-dual-element-adjustable-wing/

That is their highest downforce wing, but fairly draggy. I just bought a GTC-500 wing from them that better suits my needs. They custom built it with the support pick-up locations at the width they needed. Got it in a week. Very light, high quality CF.

Pappy

I'll ask the same question to you - I looked at the GTC-500 and wondered why they create a scoop in the center of the wing. To my novice eyes, that would create high pressure under the wing - would it be better to go taller and use a flat wing?

on that same issue, should I run braces from the frame to the deck to support the wing? if so, maybe a behind the bumper C bracket style would work better?

I keep looking at the mountain of knowledge racers have and it seems to be just getting bigger....

Guess what? Fed Ex is not delivering on time again.... FiTech knew not to send it through them, but in a final "screw you for not continuing to let us fix crappy products" they sent it by FedEx.....edited

​​​​​​​

heh, first picture of this series is 6 of 66.... and it's wiring.edited This is not coincidence.
will this spot work?
6NEqkmQh.jpg
nope
BF2dP0Oh.jpg
so I built a pan
j36iw22h.jpg
installed the digital ignition control inside
arYjFLzh.jpg
except for fans, this is ready to run
I4JbCBmh.jpg
pjCXp2Nh.jpg
oh and some reassembly
nGCMhgPh.jpg

​​​​​​​I'm so glad I bought the Dakota Digital dash - it really does make this a pretty easy thing to remove the dash to wire....edited

made noise tonight (yay).... thanks Regis!

wiring done (just need to tidy up
pjCXp2Nh.jpg
first shot was a fail because Holley didn't include their patented pointer setter.... which, I got it close, but what I didn't get close was which wire was number one
Amkb143h.jpg
it runs again.... tomorrow, finish tidying up, tune it and drive it
ev5yxesh.jpg

I also got these so I can put the crotch harness into the stock seats...edited
DGpKUPeh.jpg

part of me thinks I can rebuild the stock seats and add bolster.... dunno, don't think it saves me any money but they would fit better
​​​​​​​

DGpKUPeh.jpg

part of me thinks I can rebuild the stock seats and add bolster.... dunno, don't think it saves me any money but they would fit better
​​​​​​​

you would have to at least think about and sit in C5 seats as an alternative

DGpKUPeh.jpg

​​​​​​​

my head is already in the Astro top... I've sat in C5 seats in a C3... do they make clear, windshield frames? the only one that works is Fiero seats - but they need to be recovered; so why not simply go custom?

DGpKUPeh.jpg

​​​​​​​

my head is already in the Astro top... I've sat in C5 seats in a C3... do they make clear, windshield frames? the only one that works is Fiero seats - but they need to be recovered; so why not simply go custom?

I mounted my C5 seats directly to the floor (in the back) so that I wasn't sitting up too high. I didn't even use the C3 adjusters.

46000277254f20.jpg