More stuff to do

Help

When I was pulling everything apart, I noticed the gap between the defroster duct and the vent box (center of photo below). Is this normal or is there a missing piece? :crap:
7944b0b32707da14.jpg

Bump

When I was pulling everything apart, I noticed the gap between the defroster duct and the vent box (center of photo below). Is this normal or is there a missing piece? :crap:
7944b0b32707da14.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

I would tape up the ducts but I think the lower part is sagging, it has a tab that screws to the firewall or the top part..forgot, been a long time since I pulled the heater out of my 82. They fit a lot closer together but there's always a gap so tape or foam should help.

Now that you have it all apart, think dynamat, fatmat, noize killer, whatever. Costs a few $$$ but the results are awesome.

I would tape up the ducts but I think the lower part is sagging, it has a tab that screws to the firewall or the top part..forgot, been a long time since I pulled the heater out of my 82. They fit a lot closer together but there's always a gap so tape or foam should help.

Now that you have it all apart, think dynamat, fatmat, noize killer, whatever. Costs a few $$$ but the results are awesome.

Thanks for the info. I believe your memory is correct. I loosened the defrost duct and closed the gap with some adjusting and I can seal it with duct tape. I think the duct just got a little warped from the heat. I installed the Hush Mat.
7944b25260531b42.jpg

Finally getting back to work. I got side tracked putting the old motor in a friends Blazer.
It cleaned up nice and it is running great.
7944ba1ad36c188f.jpg

Started putting the new engine back together
7944ba1ad37317db.jpg

Making some progress
7944ba1afa41479c.jpg

That looks like great project. All quality stuff. About the alarm. My big concern for my '65 is somebody hauling it away with a tow truck. Has there been any late developments in the gps anti theft concept lately?

Pistons: SRP 383 1.26 compression height - 9.8 CR with @ 9.01 with 64cc heads and 5.85" rods
Block is decked to 9.013 and so I have a .043 quench with the .040 MLS gaskets.
Didnt think I could get away with higher CR as I have cast iron vortecs and the need to pass the smog test.

Last edited:
That looks like great project. All quality stuff. About the alarm. My big concern for my '65 is somebody hauling it away with a tow truck. Has there been any late developments in the gps anti theft concept lately?

I think the GPS technology has come a long ways. The Onstar system is amazing but the monitoring can be expensive (but well worth it for a priceless 65).:bounce: The pager alarms (pages you if your alarm goes off) can warn you if you are close enough to receive the page and have the ability to react.

Last edited:
RJ80;64911. I think the GPS technology has come a long ways. The Onstar system is amazing but the monitoring can be expensive (but well worth it for a priceless 66).:bounce: The pager alarms (pages you if your alarm goes off) can warn you if you are close enough to receive the page and have the ability to react.[/QUOTE said:
My problem with monitering is whpo chases the thing when it`s leaving town:confused: I don`t think our police have any tracking devices for that stuff.
I kinda like the beeper if they`re any good `cause I definately have the ability to react:smash:

Engine is done...:)
7944baff29463922.jpg
Another shot
7944baff294ca1c8.jpg

383 sbc 4 bolt, 1pc rear seal
Lunati sledgehammer 3.75" crank
Manley 5.85" sportsman rods
King bearings
SRP 9.8:1 pistons
Total Seal file fit Gapless top rings
Mild Ported Vortec Heads with screw in studs, Comp Cams Beehive Springs
LT4 hot roller cam with 1.6 roller rockers