Miata does anyone know jack???

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Wife wants a Miata....so it's gotta be cheeeeeep....so question is...

does anyone know jack diddly about the things??? she drove my sister's car through the Pa. mountains some years ago and never got over it....

so somehow she recalls saying the '92 was supposed to be the 'best year' and so, wondering what anyone has to say.....

:crylol:

Never met Jack ,,,,,,,, but the miata is a great car ! Good mileage , handling, well built , etc . I have worked a bit on them .

Geo

While I like the popup headlights, the '99 and up models are better IMO. The rear window on the older models is plastic and it doesn't take long until they get dull and you can't see thru them. The later models have a glass window.
I used to have a '99 in dark green, great car.

While I like the popup headlights, the '99 and up models are better IMO. The rear window on the older models is plastic and it doesn't take long until they get dull and you can't see thru them. The later models have a glass window.
I used to have a '99 in dark green, great car.

OK, so the engines are like 1600 CC, and 5+ speed trannies, and cute for a gal to have....what about parts costs and reliability?? if one has say 200k on it, is it a POS or just broken in???

I assume they are all 4 cyl inline engines...no turbos/etc....and all DPFI....how exotic are the parts for the FI, and how reliable are the electronics???

I bought my '99 new and sold it in 2001 - no problems with anything on that car. It was the bigger engine, 1.9liter with (I think) rated 140 HP..... the suspension is great, lots of fun :thumbs:
Top speed is about 130mph (220km/h) and it doesn't feel unsafe at that speed at all. Well, I had mine lowered and 9" wide rims on that little car....

200K miles ?? do these 4cyl engines last that long ??? look for a low milage late 90's model....

There is a company making a V8 conversion for the miata. The TV show Gearz with Stacy David did the conversion and it looked cool. If you put a V8 in something you remove the "chick" from chick car.:devil:

There is a company making a V8 conversion for the miata. The TV show Gearz with Stacy David did the conversion and it looked cool. If you put a V8 in something you remove the "chick" from chick car.:devil:

NOPE, little old wifey poo has driven my vette plenty, some time ago, she really don't need the power in a RWD car.......just something for her to look cute in...maybe that's a BAD thing....ummmm....

:shocking::devil:

I like the little cars....their like big Go-Carts.
Worked on a couple over the years. Gas mileage is ok....
nothing to brag about. My Cavalier actually gets better
mileage than a Miata. Theres plenty of go-fast goodies
out there for them. I would mind owning one myself....
BUT....the problem is....I look like a G.I. Joe driving the
Barbie Mobile when I get in one. :rofl:

Remember a 5'5" tall Jap designed this car.....for himself.:smash::smash::smash:

I like the little cars....their like big Go-Carts.
Worked on a couple over the years. Gas mileage is ok....
nothing to brag about. My Cavalier actually gets better
mileage than a Miata. Theres plenty of go-fast goodies
out there for them. I would mind owning one myself....
BUT....the problem is....I look like a G.I. Joe driving the
Barbie Mobile when I get in one. :rofl:

Remember a 5'5" tall Jap designed this car.....for himself.:smash::smash::smash:

Yeh, sat in a Miata when they came out, years ago, my sis's Miata was not better....this is definately a Linda mobile.... my neck is about w/shield height when sitting in one....serious...

I need know more about them....when did DPFI come in?? one I have to look at tmrw is automatic....are the auto trannies any good??? what displacement is the engine?? I presume a strut front suspension, what about the rear configuration??? solid axle or indep???

Engine sizes are 1.6 and 1.8 for the older model and 1.6 and 1.9 for the newer model.
I doubt the car is any fun with a automatic tranny.

Looked at 2 of them this morning, in the Kmart parking lot.....the first was ragged out rustbucket, and wanting 2500 bux/offer......the second was much better off, needs some minor work....well, hopefully minor anyway...and 1200 bux....I shot them an offer for 800 it's a '91.....new tires anyway, and automatic, fine for Linda, RED which is the color she wants....I have to do some minor body work, point is, the car LOOKS clean and stable, no rust to really mention...must be a fairly local car not a Long Island rustbucket....

So the kid has to talk to the father in law....will see, told him I was interested....can do no more....

:devil:

Looked at 2 of them this morning, in the Kmart parking lot.....the first was ragged out rustbucket, and wanting 2500 bux/offer......the second was much better off, needs some minor work....well, hopefully minor anyway...and 1200 bux....I shot them an offer for 800 it's a '91.....new tires anyway, and automatic, fine for Linda, RED which is the color she wants....I have to do some minor body work, point is, the car LOOKS clean and stable, no rust to really mention...must be a fairly local car not a Long Island rustbucket....

So the kid has to talk to the father in law....will see, told him I was interested....can do no more....

:devil:

That's cheap! Didn't realize they were so cheap

They aren't..... usually if it runs and if it's in somewhat decent shape it's $2500 ... if someone is selling a convertible in Florida for less than $2500 there's something wrong.... either the seller is desperate, doesn't know any better or missing the title.... :D

They aren't..... usually if it runs and if it's in somewhat decent shape it's $2500 ... if someone is selling a convertible in Florida for less than $2500 there's something wrong.... either the seller is desperate, doesn't know any better or missing the title.... :D

I hear you, this one needs a top, they all do, I presume, so we got a garage for now....then the little thing needs some fender work on driver's front....just above the wheel, strange spot, but maybe a truck backed into it....just like my vette 3 years ago....the thing ran fine around the parking lot, fluids look decent....just like this '94 Dodge work van for her son, it's needing lots of mechanicals, but coming along....750 bux white, straight body, IF it's been hit, it's fixed right anyway....friggin 318 runs forever....once past the cussed freeze plugs in the bellhousing area....damnit...they weeping, did two on the skirts already, along with timing chain/water pump right upper A arm, nothing stupid, just lots of work....have to get him to get the tranny help I need, tooooooo much for this olde phardt in a driveway anymore....slowly grandpa, very slowly...

:(:D

So anyway, this little Miata looks clean, need a couple minor things right off the bat....pass headlight don't go up/down....woopie doo, junkyard or electricals....not going to kill the deal....I figger 400 bux and on the road again....

They are so cheap I may look at one for my wife, to take to car shows when I take the Vette. I looked they have asking of $4-5K for good ones.

They are so cheap I may look at one for my wife, to take to car shows when I take the Vette. I looked they have asking of $4-5K for good ones.

OK, I agree, you have to go by your own zip code....I go by 32073 OP Fl.....and so KBB/NADA say what, but I go by loan value or maybe pvt party sale...that tells me the TRUE value of the car....

I picked it up already, hidden in the garage for wifey poo bear to get home, pop the opener and find her 'space' taken.....snicker, maybe I can get laid tonight....:fishing::thumbs:

title is on the seat.....engine fan turns on/off, her son can help with the a/c needs fixing, needs a top, and so I already printed that VERY helpful link above on how to do that, a tad of body work, take it up the street to Sherwin and get the paint matched, shoot it quick and done...

under hood has to be cleaned up, but the little bugger runs fine....everything work, new tires on it, new battery too....battery area in the trunk looks damn nearly NEW....no corrosion to matter much....rust is not something to battle on a unibody unless it's a old pony/muscle car....NOT saying it's rust FREE, just that it's not much evident anywhere I look....:thumbs:

so when the vette gets finished in another couple months....I can start in on fixing up the Miata, until then, it's certainly driveable....once I check out the entire suspension/steering/brakes.. to MY satisfaction....

so another project car....us retarred guys gotta do summfin .....

:hunter: