LS1 Swap for an 82

Herb, is this engine and trans mix and match? Is the trans from another car - a 6 cyl I'm gathering from your description? Is this why you would have to change bellhousing?

Herb, is this engine and trans mix and match? Is the trans from another car - a 6 cyl I'm gathering from your description? Is this why you would have to change bellhousing?

Frank,

The 4l60E was from a 6 cylinder F-Body, The local dealer verified the compatability. I am not sure if I will use the 700R4 or the 4L60E yet. For 200 dollars I wasn't going to pass it up.

You sure?? I can't see how....those accessories will hit the a arms in a shark....I just popped the hood on my car, a normal 350 as you know....and I can't see any accessories on any V8 engine being positioned on a stock bellhousing/firewall spacing in rear, and having clearance to get those accessories to clear that suspension.....

Can you post the pix you referr to???

:bonkers:

Looks like it fits..... if it doesn't fit use a bigger hammer :smash:

21490902e391c3b.jpg

21490902e2a06ae.jpg

Woop, note that a/c comp is up top now, not down lo....I can't see the alt, but it's a similar size and location on the other side....ouch???

I just going from recollections from other threads over the years....

hate to direct you to 'there' but there is a long running sticky thread that MAY still have some pix in it....I just iknow of it's existance, as it's not my ball of wax at this time....

:skeptic::harhar:

I have been looking at my transmission options. 700R4 or 4L60E. If I go with the 4L60E, would I be better off replacing my original speedometer with an Autometer electrical 5" ? How would it look in the 82 dash. My other option is to replace the tail end of the 4L60E with a kit from S&P that runs around 500.00. My speedometer would be limited to 85MPH if I go that route.

I'd rather spend the money on new instruments. The AutoMeter 5" tach and speedos are nice instruments. I do not like the 10000rpm tach but I can live with it....the StewartWarner speedometer did not work for me with the speed sensor on my TKO600, check how many pulses the speedo requires....

The 4L60E is a great tranny, had it for 7 years in my Z28 - get a predator (handheld programmer) to fine tune the shiftpoints and firmness.

I'd rather spend the money on new instruments. The AutoMeter 5" tach and speedos are nice instruments. I do not like the 10000rpm tach but I can live with it....the StewartWarner speedometer did not work for me with the speed sensor on my TKO600, check how many pulses the speedo requires....

The 4L60E is a great tranny, had it for 7 years in my Z28 - get a predator (handheld programmer) to fine tune the shiftpoints and firmness.

How did you mount the speedo & tach in the factory cluster. Did they mount reccessed from the rear, or front mounted. I am glad you commented about the StewartWarner. I will mark it off of my list.Do you have a pic that I could see?

Thanks

Herb

Here's some inspiration, yes this too is an 82.

header_li.jpg

header_re.jpg

ls1_f1.jpg

drossel.JPG

ls1_f2.jpg

strebe_neu.jpg

Ls2_26.JPG

Corvette_05_2008%20024.JPG

Corvette_05_2008%20025.JPG

Twinnie, What in hell I looking at above there?? the last two pix look like carbs on a LS engine....??? why??

and on them both, I don't see a good shot as to where the accessories are located, mainly I don't see any a/c on either car....but where is the alt located??

I am still vaguely thinking of a LS swap, and would like to see one in a shark with stock accessory drives off some car GM made, or combo, that aftermarket crap is just stupid expensive, always has been....
also the elimination of the stock a/c means aftermarket a/c if any...another expense...does the LS fit with the stock a/c??

:fishing:

How did you mount the speedo & tach in the factory cluster. Did they mount reccessed from the rear, or front mounted. I am glad you commented about the StewartWarner. I will mark it off of my list.Do you have a pic that I could see?

Thanks

Herb

I cut up a used (spare) instrument cluster to fit the 5" instruments. These photos show the SW instruments that I had to return... I still like them better than the AutoMeters, wish they worked with the speed sensor signal...

100_3370.jpg

100_3371.jpg

IMG_9375xx.jpg

Here's how they're mounted:

autometerinstr.jpg

and here's a pic of the interior with new instruments (and quadruple cupholders):

21482ef3e35cc32.jpg

Last edited:
I cut up a used (spare) instrument cluster to fit the 5" instruments. These photos show the SW instruments that I had to return... I still like them better than the AutoMeters, wish they worked with the speed sensor signal...

and here's a pic of the interior with new instruments (and quadruple cupholders):
What was wrong with the SW Gauges, and what tranny are you running? I think I know where to find an 81 instrument cluster to modify. I guess I would need to replace both speedo & tach to make it look right.

Thanks

Herb

Last edited by a moderator:
Marck,

Did the 82 in the photos have the alternator mounted in the bottom right clearing everything? Did some reading last night and noticed that the F-Bodies & Corvettes might have different alternator. Is the thickness different, or different brackets. It seem that some of the Vettes have the alternator located in the upper right postion. Should I use the 98 alternator or stay with my 82.

I need to find some good swap books with photos & documentation. Thanks for changing the title.

Thanks

Herb

Twinnie, What in hell I looking at above there?? the last two pix look like carbs on a LS engine....??? why??

and on them both, I don't see a good shot as to where the accessories are located, mainly I don't see any a/c on either car....but where is the alt located??

I am still vaguely thinking of a LS swap, and would like to see one in a shark with stock accessory drives off some car GM made, or combo, that aftermarket crap is just stupid expensive, always has been....
also the elimination of the stock a/c means aftermarket a/c if any...another expense...does the LS fit with the stock a/c??

:fishing:

They are 8 downdraft style throttle bodies, the fuel rails are next to them, it's still SEFI just an individual runner system.

AC? We don't need no stinking AC. The alt is prolly on the pass side bottom of the engine.

Marck,

Did the 82 in the photos have the alternator mounted in the bottom right clearing everything? Did some reading last night and noticed that the F-Bodies & Corvettes might have different alternator. Is the thickness different, or different brackets. It seem that some of the Vettes have the alternator located in the upper right postion. Should I use the 98 alternator or stay with my 82.

I need to find some good swap books with photos & documentation. Thanks for changing the title.

Thanks

Herb

Can someone email vettesuki? He has an LS1 in his 82.

What was wrong with the SW Gauges, and what tranny are you running? I think I know where to find an 81 instrument cluster to modify. I guess I would need to replace both speedo & tach to make it look right.

Thanks

Herb

I have a TKO600 with a GM standard speed sensor. The SW instruments require more pulses per revolution than the AutoMeter instruments.
I forgot the exact numbers but that info is on the tech sheets that you can download from their websites.

I have a TKO600 with a GM standard speed sensor. The SW instruments require more pulses per revolution than the AutoMeter instruments.
I forgot the exact numbers but that info is on the tech sheets that you can download from their websites.

Is the VSS in the TKO600 4000 pulse/mile?

I (think) it's 17pulses per revolution on the VSS. With the overall tire diameter of 27" and 3.55 gears I did not get enough pulses per mile.
The AutoMeter speedo requires less pulses per mile, SW requires a minimum of 4000 pulses per mile.

It should be as GM switched from 2k/mile to 4k/mile in the mid 80's....

I know the speed density puters like 1227730 and the vette equivalent take the 4k/mile standard.....

can't imagine anyone bothering with the old standard anymore....

Some autometer speedos (the more expensive ones) can be programmed/calibrated with a simple procedure.