Hobart or Miller?

I have the Miller 175 amp machine, The auto set came out a couple years after I bought mine. The settings inside the machine are spot on and I've rarely had to mess with the settings from there

How useful would this be?

Miller Auto Set:
The The Millermatic 180 mig welder with Auto-Set offers all the benefits of the standard Millermatic 180, but adds Auto-Set to eliminate the guesswork. Use Auto-Set when you want the speed, convenience and confidence of pre-set controls. Simply set the wire diameter, set the material thickness, and go! The Auto-Set control automatically sets your welder to the proper parameters. It is available when welding mild steel with solid wire and only works with .024 and .030 solid wires and C25 shielding gas (75% Argon, 25% CO2).

When not within the Auto-Set profiles, use the manual mode to set the weld parameters you desire. The parameter door chart lists voltage and wire feed speed settings options.

How useful would this be?

Miller Auto Set:
The The Millermatic 180 mig welder with Auto-Set offers all the benefits of the standard Millermatic 180, but adds Auto-Set to eliminate the guesswork. Use Auto-Set when you want the speed, convenience and confidence of pre-set controls. Simply set the wire diameter, set the material thickness, and go! The Auto-Set control automatically sets your welder to the proper parameters. It is available when welding mild steel with solid wire and only works with .024 and .030 solid wires and C25 shielding gas (75% Argon, 25% CO2).

When not within the Auto-Set profiles, use the manual mode to set the weld parameters you desire. The parameter door chart lists voltage and wire feed speed settings options.

I think it would be very useful to a person that is just learning to weld. An experienced welder maybe not so much though.

If you know what the auto set parameters are (i.e. you ask somebody who has the 'auto set' Miller) you should be able to simply set you non 'auto set' welder manually to those parameters.... it doesn't work with stainless so I don't think the "auto set" is a "must have" option......

So what's the difference between a welding generator and a normal generator which costs significantly less? I have a 5550 watt with 8550 starting watts. The welder ones don't look all that special....but cost more.

i dont know.....but a normal generator has two voltages and constant amperage......so a 5500 watt generator would have maybe 20amp 220 line and 4 15 amp 110 receptacles......a welding gernerators output would need to be adjustable for the different rods and size metal you were working on.....thats my guess

That's interesting. Mine has a 30A for the 240V. It has two 20A for the 120V(each of those has 2 recepticles).

Never knew this thread took off! I guess I didn't have email notification.
I haven't pulled the trigger for a welder yet, but I'd like to have one before spring. My first real job with it will most likely be my exhaust.
There's some good info in here. Keep it coming.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

i now have two inverter based products, a lincoln invertec 155 stick/tig and a cineese plasma cutter.....i have to tell you i am impressed with the inverter technology.