Hobart or Miller?

I was plugging into a 15 Amp outlet and having issues. So I bought a drier cord and used 1 leg. Works so much better having a higher Amp draw.

is it just my imagination or is there a difference when using my extension cord (110v outlet, cheap 25' cord) ?

I was plugging into a 15 Amp outlet and having issues. So I bought a drier cord and used 1 leg. Works so much better having a higher Amp draw.

is it just my imagination or is there a difference when using my extension cord (110v outlet, cheap 25' cord) ?

Depending on the guage of cord you could be seeing a voltage drop enough to effect the machine, the extension cord I have for my 220 volt Miller is good for 60 amps more than max draw on the machine

Depending on the guage of cord you could be seeing a voltage drop enough to effect the machine, the extension cord I have for my 220 volt Miller is good for 60 amps more than max draw on the machine

so what's that orange extension cord that HomeDepot sells? 18 gauge ?? I bought a 12 gauge cord (the red/black HD cord) just for the welder and I'm convinced it made a difference...

Last edited:
wouldn't buy that, if one of the 2 fails the whole thing is junk and it's chinese. Better off getting a good used machine for that money. Should be able to get a dynasty for that

so what's that orange extension cord that HomeDepot sells? 18 gauge ?? I bought a 12 gauge cord (the red/black HD cord) just for the welder and I'm convinced it made a difference...

Yep most of those orange cords are 18 gauge, the 12 gauge will make a difference

Yep most of those orange cords are 18 gauge, the 12 gauge will make a difference

well.... it seems I'm not imagining things :D

@ Greg: buy decent size power cord .....

I bought a 12 gauge cord (the red/black HD cord) just for the welder and I'm convinced it made a difference...

It did. Your too small cord was a choke. Think of filling a bathtub with a 1/4" surgical tube.;)

wouldn't buy that, if one of the 2 fails the whole thing is junk and it's chinese. Better off getting a good used machine for that money. Should be able to get a dynasty for that

TT why do you say that if one of the 2 fails the whole thing is junk? it looks to me like they are two seperate machines am i missing something? thks bob

Went to Northern tool today. They had the hobart 140 flux/mig and small cart on sale for $450. The welder usually goes for $499 and the cart for 50. that's the best price I've seen on the 140 around here.

now is probably the time to buy, many offer great deals and free shipping if you don't want to go to the crowded store.....

TT, can I ask, what flux core wire size you would use for this? That is trying to weld heavier gauge steel?
If your gas machine has too little oomph for that single project, run it with flux core inverted polarity (needed for flux), the penetration will be deeper w/ flux and the gas will minimize spatter

:bump:Never tried this, thanks for the tip.:bump:

I have used that 211 with autoset and that is a very sweet machine for its size.

I'm thinking about buying a welder and learning to weld. A guy I know (who is a good welder) suggested the Millermatic 140 or 180 with Auto Set. He said that the AutoSet feature will make this much easier to use for a newb.

Are the Millers the only one that have this?

i just travelled 2 hours to a tractor supply to snag the last hobart handler (hh)187 that they had for $499 and it was missing some parts ie. spool nut, hose, manual, and misc parts pouch etc, and had some scrartches on the top under the styrofoam .....the manager felt horrible since i asked them to check the package before i left to travel and they didnt realize what was missing or the extent of the scrartches.....so they opened a new hh190 and started to take the parts out and we all kind of looked at each other funny and the sales clerk said why dont you just buy the hh190 and i said well its $200 more and he said go talk to the manager maybe she can help you out.....so i did and i said before we take a new product and strip it to make this clearance unit right and then you have to fix that can we come to a negotiated price on the hh190....she offered to take $100 off the price of the hh190 and that made it $100 more then hh187, i recalled that the 190 was spool gun ready so it seemed like a good idea at the moment so i upgraded... and now i have new toy to play with. i am psyched to set this up i think it weighs like three times more then my old Lincoln 110v unit. i think i will set the old Lincoln up with the thinnest wire and just use that for sheetmetal work . so if anyone is looking for the hh187 they are slowly running out of stock at TSC, but bargains can be had anyway.

as for the auto setting i dont think that is as critical as you may think it is. the charts that they have are dead on and i bet is the same settings that the machine does with the auto set. i wouldnt pass on a machine because it didnt have this.

bob

I have used that 211 with autoset and that is a very sweet machine for its size.

I'm thinking about buying a welder and learning to weld. A guy I know (who is a good welder) suggested the Millermatic 140 or 180 with Auto Set. He said that the AutoSet feature will make this much easier to use for a newb.

Are the Millers the only one that have this?

I have the Millermatic 180 with Auto Set. I love it. I don't know of any other brands that have this feature, but I bet that will change soon.The Auto set feature works well, but on some sheet metals I prefer to manually adjust the heat and feed. Make up a heavy extension cord. Mine is 30 foot long, using 8 gauge cable.