Corvette V12 Project...

The crossram looks awesome, but I imagine that it would be much, much easier to set up an air intake/filter system on the vertical pipes.

it would be equally easy. K&N makes bolt on filters for IDA style TBs or carbs, bolts right to the face where the velocity stacks bolt down

crossram is looking awesome! WOW!!!

Thanks guys-

Sam- I personally don't think 'EASY' is in my vocabulary...

The guys across the pond are light years ahead of us in ITB's - a LOT more universal ideas- the ones made in the states are mostly one off w/ not much thought to being able to adapt to several different applications....

I decided on the Crossram look- I machined down the aluminum pipes I cut off from the stock OEM manifold- then tack welded the flanges to them for a test fit. Just a little bit of clearance needed - but it's gonna work. Stock fuel injectors and fuel rail fit - but a little on the tall side.

W/ a level and a tape measure it SHOULD fit...if not I'm going to look into shorter fuel injectors- stock ones are 75mm and I've seem several other there that are 25mm.

Hopefully one night this week I'll pull the old mock up V12 intakes test fit my new ITBs.

DSCN1967.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

Thanks guys-

They are 'only' 40mm TB's - but that's times 12!!! 48's would be way to big....40's the same size Jags run w/ their V12 and Jags about the same size as far as displacement.

Steve- you're right- there are tons of options for filters /velocity stack AKA air horns- that's why I went w/ these throttle bodies- very universal- and even the linkage interconnects- so the throttle cable will be as simple as hooking up 2 4bbls.

I was able to do a test fit tonight- and it looks like I won't have any clearance issues-here's the mock up engine in the car -

DSCN2099.jpg

Look how easy the plugs are to get too....

DSCN2100.jpg

In the mean time I went out and bought another V12- I got a great deal on this 750IL...I know...I know..I admit I have a problem...

DSCN2024.jpg

admitting is the first step - but as far as problems go, you having another a V12 BMW really makes me feel sorry for you :suspicious:.... NOT :lol:

Here's some updates.....My goal is Hot Rod Power Tour this June!!!

"THE" engine is sitting between the frame rails- after pulling out the mock up
Everything fits -albeit a little close...

DSCN2514.jpg

Hood fits- even w/ the fuel rails...

P1010701.jpg

Have the electronics figured out- running the just released Megasquirt MS3 pro- will run sequential fuel injection for all 12 cylinders...and using LS2 coil on plug

P1010670.jpg

Here's the wiring harness- parted out a BMW harness and reused the connectors and wire tray-

DSCN2776.jpg

P1010696_zpsfc4af95e.jpg

DSCN2795_zps7b401ca1.jpg

This was kicking my ass...but I worked out w/ a couple visits to the junkyard and hardware store...Mercedes and Audi parts...

Here it is actually working...

Richard

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qok8r_etjgU[/ame]

DSCN2816_zpsb80aab38.jpg

DSCN2800_zpsea75ec1a.jpg

DSCN2812_zpse720a6ec.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, that is just so beautiful. What;'s that bell crank from? I could use something like that!

Damn, that is just so beautiful. What;'s that bell crank from? I could use something like that!

THANKS!!!!

The bracket is from a late 80's Audi 5000 Turbo- cut down and welded up to some 3/8 aluminum...and bottom bellcrankpiece is off the Audio -the top part is off a 80's M-B 420SEL...

I used M5 X .8 threaded rod covered w/ 1/4" x .028 stainless tube and either the M-B or Audi ends. I like the Audi's better because it has a neat wire lock system- but only one Audi was at the junkyard...

For the main shafts- I used 5/16 stainless steel rod and four Aluminum Throttle Linkage Arm 5/16" from Speedway Motors.

And the brackets on the ITB's? Thet are actually exterior (Home Depot)door hinges- stainless steel cut up.

Richard

So it looks like you have 12 individual throttle blades there, how in hell can any mechanical mechanism control them precisely enough to have equal air volume?? just a smudge off on an adjustment due to slight wear or crap build up, and it's over.....seems like a maintenance nitemare.....especially at idle.....

my LT1 setup, I had to clean the throttle bores just the other day, engine idle in/out gear being a automatic...acted real erratic... I can't help but imagine that cleaning 12 blades/passages would be any easier....

curious to hear what everyone says about this....

:bonkers::hi:

Thanks Bob....

Gene-

As far as the mechanical set up- the bodies are set up as twins- pretty precision pieces- a couple of set screws on each side of the center TB to adjust and then the electronics take over ...An air idle control valve is controlled by the ECU to set idle - I have made a vacuum distribution block or rather tube connected to each throttle body-and took some threaded rod- drilled out the center to attach to the throttle bodies idle air bypass circuit.

Here's the vacuum dist tube I made- fits between the linkage.

DSCN2848_zps307ae699.jpg

Here it is between the throttle bodies- I am making some new lines out of hard plastic for better clearance.

Richard

DSCN2855_zpsf563fdfb.jpg

I just didn't like the fit NOR the look of the lines for the vacuum set up.....

So here's what I went with-

I cut down some injectors I had sitting around...tapped them for the hollowed out threaded rod I made to fit the throttle bodies...Now I have a nice looking way to route the vacuum. Plus the fuel/vacuum rails polished up nicely.

I'm going w/ brakeline tubing to connect the 4 fuel/vacuum rails -to the MAP sensor...

Now I just have to drill 12 more holes in the fuel rail...

Richard

DSCN2979_zps74370838.jpg

DSCN2978_zps89934ed7.jpg

DSCN2986_zpsf3b820af.jpg

DSCN2985_zps95628176.jpg

vacuum_zpsd2c1b150.jpg

It's ALIVE!!!!

An Update-

It's actually running now!!!

Working on the wiring now- but hope to have it on the road in a month-

Suspension-

Vansteel coil overs all around and Wilwood 14" rotors up front-
Stock size out back

15101118776_794ca5e11f_b.jpgDSCN3920_zps92fb8c93 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

15123705002_8de2fd1c75_b.jpgDSCN3842 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

13964306875_e9e2377943_b.jpgDSCN4061 by richardhayes454, on Flickr
14823537505_2b559bb7bf_b.jpgDSCN4590 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

15453838765_6d50b9ddf9_b.jpgDSCN4811 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

15430767966_c6babdc12c_b.jpgDSCN4814 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

AND here it is- initial base tune...but it is RUNNING!!!

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=dcfCJkH6nbs[/ame]

Reverse lights-
[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=tHbw8rdbVSU[/ame]

Looks like your almost on the road, congrats!

I like the hide-away license. Will make a good getaway car.