build a better spreader bar

I just wanted to save you guys some time on part # searching for the spreader bar twin turbo made. I just ordered the parts so here ya go

You can get all of the parts from speedwaymotors.com

Here are all of the part numbers needed

1170810L LH male heim joint 9.99
1170810 RH male heim joint 9.99
3159603 RH jam nut 1.99
3159604 LH jam nut 1.99
91034158-19 19" tie rod sleeve 10.99

The 19 at the end of the sleeve part number indicates the length, so if you need a 17" bar you would use 91034158-17

thanks i have been wanting to do this for a while now and with the house construction etc.....i need a small project what are you making the bracket out of? perhaps i missed the thickness...is that 1/8 or 3/16 stock

Here are the Speedwaymotors part numbers for the Heavy Duty parts:

1750526 -- 5/8-18 LH thread, 1/2" hole Pro Series rod end $13.99
1750726 -- 5/8-18 RH thread, 1/2" hole Pro Series rod end $13.99

1756046-LH -- 5/8" jam nuts steel, pack of 6 $3.99
1756046-RH -- 5/8" jam nuts steel, pack of 6 $3.99

91034258-19 -- Steel tube with 5/8" threads $12.99

13.99 isn't exactly pro race heavy duty, real heavy duty ones are more than double that price. However, why waste money there, they don't see much abuse at all, the cheapest rod ends will do just fine.

thanks i have been wanting to do this for a while now and with the house construction etc.....i need a small project what are you making the bracket out of? perhaps i missed the thickness...is that 1/8 or 3/16 stock

I used 1/4" x 1 1/2" angle. I think 3/16" would be fine also.

13.99 isn't exactly pro race heavy duty, real heavy duty ones are more than double that price. However, why waste money there, they don't see much abuse at all, the cheapest rod ends will do just fine.

These are steel, not aluminum like the ones on the other parts list... stronger but subject to rust... these are coated, the uncoated mild steel version is $9.99 or so...

This is the spreader bar I built for the 77 project.

It's very easy to fabricate and even easier to install because of the vertical bolt engagement. No need to wrestle a bolt, nut and some washers in the confined space around the radiator shroud.

All you need is some 1/2" UNF bolts and nuts (I used pretty round stainless allen head screws), some 5/8 UNF rod ends (LH&RH threads) with either 1/2" eyes or some 5/8 to 1/2 reducer bushings to tap in place. Also some 5/8 lock nuts (LH&RH)are required and of course the sleeve. The rod ends don't have to be super high quality. some chinese ones will do. You can get all the parts from speedwaymotors and other speedway shops. The parts are very affordable.

30dgx2r.jpg

5pneo6.jpg

i really like the accessory drive. who makes it?

KRC, complete set of pulleys, brackets, water pump, power steering pump, the reservoir is extra, the powermaster/denso 8182 mini alternator needs to be bought separately. Total spendings about $2000 including lines, filter, fittings and cooler.

They have one for a delco alternator too, that alternator is larger and puts out more amps. It is significantly cheaper than the $400 powermaster alternator though.

Oh, didnt realize the others were alu, I'd use steel also.

I felt like the limiting factor for strength was the aluminum sleeves threads. Not sure on that what do you think. I have it installed and am surprised what a difference it made. Here is a pic for you viewing pleasure.

IMG_4423.jpg

Let me head out to the shop and check if V-Twin's is still there :)

Looks nice :)

I got around to putting my new one on a few weeks ago

Heres a pic

101_1978.jpg

Kwplot I should still have the old brackets, unless my dad threw them away