Bought a Boat!

SCCA VETTE

I bought a new toy yesterday, a 1989 Baja 216 Islander. It has a 260HP 350 and is in really decent shape expect for carpet and little interior work. I got it for $2500 bucks because the guy decided to put his own version of thru hull exhaust on it and that will have to be corrected.

IMGP2536.jpg

IMGP2542.jpg

IMGP2535.jpg

IMGP2553.jpg

I think the min height above the w/line for a through hull/Donzi exhaust is 18" it maybe 2'......

some buddies a few years ago had all sorts of troubles about that, cost a new motor....350 chebby....

:censored::crap:

The boat looks nice, but it's the hidden 'rust' like on a old shark.....wood rot on the deck, and maybe the hull, it should have mahogany on the stringers, and so almost rot proof, note the word should....

the back transom can also be a problem area....

the deck plywood is obvious....marine ply is not cheep...

but still, 2500 is a NICE buy....

Last edited:
-B-reak -O-ut -A-nother -T-housand:D

Not a bad deal- Last I looked, Baja builds a decent hull. Good performance.

I think the min height above the w/line for a through hull/Donzi exhaust is 18" it maybe 2'......

some buddies a few years ago had all sorts of troubles about that, cost a new motor....350 chebby....

The boat looks nice, but it's the hidden 'rust' like on a old shark.....wood rot on the deck, and maybe the hull, it should have mahogany on the stringers, and so almost rot proof, note the word should....

Everything seems to be pretty solid. The floor has 1 soft spot in the removable piece in the center where the fuel tank is. This piece was actually removed when i went to look at the boat and everything under it looked good, a little slimey and dirty but good. I did notice that most wood in the floor is cover in fiberglass resin and the water seem to have just ran off it. There was no cracks (no stress cracking) anywhere in the hull. The transom also looked to be in really good shape from what I could see of it. The only issue that had me concerned was the center window on the walk through would not close. It was overlapping the other window and I was concerned about that. I looked really close and could not find any reason other than the window had been bent a little to cause this problem. If the hull would have twisted that much to make the window not shut I am for certain there would have been some stress cracks.

I am going to get it to the house next weekend when I do not have to work and start cleaning and fixing on it. I will post up some pregress pictures.

Two happiest days of a boater's life. The day he buys it and the day he sells it. In the interim, you pour money into it.

If you haven't already done it get on board with the Coast Guard and obtain your captain's license. You won't regret it and you will learn a great deal in the process.

Best of luck

Rich:friends:

Congratulations, I have a Bayliner Trophy Bass and just getting ready to get it on the water (I need to hear the warrior cry of "Fish on"). Kinda like an older shark...can be a money pit. Your boat does look very nice!! I like! :yahoo:

c-ya
ToddG

Two happiest days of a boater's life. The day he buys it and the day he sells it. In the interim, you pour money into it.

If you haven't already done it get on board with the Coast Guard and obtain your captain's license. You won't regret it and you will learn a great deal in the process.

Best of luck

Rich:friends:

And a couple of years after you sell it.....the wish you had it back syndrome :(

Congrats and good luck with it!!!!

Everything seems to be pretty solid. The floor has 1 soft spot in the removable piece in the center where the fuel tank is. This piece was actually removed when i went to look at the boat and everything under it looked good, a little slimey and dirty but good. I did notice that most wood in the floor is cover in fiberglass resin and the water seem to have just ran off it. There was no cracks (no stress cracking) anywhere in the hull. The transom also looked to be in really good shape from what I could see of it. The only issue that had me concerned was the center window on the walk through would not close. It was overlapping the other window and I was concerned about that. I looked really close and could not find any reason other than the window had been bent a little to cause this problem. If the hull would have twisted that much to make the window not shut I am for certain there would have been some stress cracks.

That 'slime' business there kinda bothers me a bit, and the window alignment issue... makes me wonder about the deck wood, just because it's covered in glass means very little, really, water wins, no matter if it's a house roof, boat wood, plumbing, even stone looses in time....being a older boat I would be surprised if that deck was actually solid.....maybe have someone look at it while you walk over it....

:friends:

That 'slime' business there kinda bothers me a bit, and the window alignment issue... makes me wonder about the deck wood, just because it's covered in glass means very little, really, water wins, no matter if it's a house roof, boat wood, plumbing, even stone looses in time....being a older boat I would be surprised if that deck was actually solid.....maybe have someone look at it while you walk over it....

Good points.

I miss having a boat.
Building an airboat presently, then will start looking for another fixed hull.

Check it out closely. Now is the time to find the wood problems, not 20 miles off shore:D

That is a good deal! (as long as the motor and outdrive is good.)We have a marina in the Ozarks and alot of the older boats are worth more in parts than complete.The baja is a fun hull and takes pretty big water.I allways liked the look of them.You should be able to enjoy it for a while and if it is kept up you should be able to get your money back.Some hulls have a good resale.

Good points.

I miss having a boat.

Check it out closely. Now is the time to find the wood problems, not 20 miles off shore:D

OLD mechanic friend of mine from up north had a ~27? foot aluminum John boat/flat bottom style airboat....500++ ci Caddy engine some 600 hp....

100 mph over water here in Florida....he used to tow it south,

he retarred and lives in Coca Florida, just off I 95 now....

sold the boat.....damnit...

Linda and I rode on a airboat on the west coast/Florida....up front where the other chicken shit couples could NOT go....I kept saying FASTER by waving my hand forward....the pilot did pretty good....I think it was in Homasassa Springs....

Them things are a FUN ride, a good pilot and it's skimming about 6" or less at 60 mph from the reeds and sand....the man knew his shit, for sure....

then for the open water.....snicker....

:bounce::bounce::nuts::amazed::mime:

Good points.

I miss having a boat.

OLD mechanic friend of mine from up north had a ~27? foot aluminum John boat/flat bottom style airboat....500++ ci Caddy engine some 600 hp....

100 mph over water here in Florida....he used to tow it south..:

That's about what I'm building now.

Have the Cadi motor, and everything from the helm to the rudders.

Was trying ot find the "right" hull, then decided, to hell with it, I'll just have it custom built.

Looking at a 20-22' with hydraulic rake to load offload.
It's primary function will be that of a rescue and emergency services support craft.

Man, I'm surprised?
There's a LOT of airboat activity along that coast and inland, and DiamondBack Airboats is right there.
Our team is currently having them build another rescue boat for us.
Another 20' w/hydraulic rake (FWC just took posession of one just like it).
Since we're a non-profit, this one was paid for by a philathropic organization grant:thumbs:
Mines out of pocket.

Trying to get everything in order and sea-trialed, before we get smaked with another Andrew or Katrina:(

Linda and I rode on a airboat on the west coast/Florida....up front where the other chicken shit couples could NOT go....I kept saying FASTER by waving my hand forward....the pilot did pretty good....I think it was in Homasassa Springs....

Might have been. Again, a lot of AB activity up in there.

Them things are a FUN ride, a good pilot and it's skimming about 6" or less at 60 mph from the reeds and sand....the man knew his shit, for sure....

LOL-Sounds like it. Glad you guys had a good time:)

There's not a lot of room for error on these things, and they're unstable as hell (lol).

For open water....uh, no thanks...not on the airboat:nuts: They don't handle wave heights for chit (lol).

When we gte the 2 new boats in the water, if you guys find yourself headed for the Tampa area, give me a shout.

We'll be happy to take ya on another little tour of the local rivers and sawgrass:D

Good points.

I miss having a boat.

100 mph over water here in Florida....he used to tow it south..:

That's about what I'm building now.

Have the Cadi motor, and everything from the helm to the rudders.

Was trying ot find the "right" hull, then decided, to hell with it, I'll just have it custom built.

Looking at a 20-22' with hydraulic rake to load offload.
It's primary function will be that of a rescue and emergency services support craft.

Man, I'm surprised?
There's a LOT of airboat activity along that coast and inland, and DiamondBack Airboats is right there.
Our team is currently having them build another rescue boat for us.
Another 20' w/hydraulic rake (FWC just took posession of one just like it).
Since we're a non-profit, this one was paid for by a philathropic organization grant:thumbs:
Mines out of pocket.

Trying to get everything in order and sea-trialed, before we get smaked with another Andrew or Katrina:(

Might have been. Again, a lot of AB activity up in there.

LOL-Sounds like it. Glad you guys had a good time:)

There's not a lot of room for error on these things, and they're unstable as hell (lol).

For open water....uh, no thanks...not on the airboat:nuts: They don't handle wave heights for chit (lol).

When we gte the 2 new boats in the water, if you guys find yourself headed for the Tampa area, give me a shout.

We'll be happy to take ya on another little tour of the local rivers and sawgrass:D

I"ll be damned, my friend in Coca was the airboat mechanic for the Montgomery co. Maryland EMT/Fire Rescue airboat they used on the Potomac River....a buddy used to work off that boat, fished a ~16 y/o gal outta the river years ago, fell in at Great Falls and didn't float up for 3 days....lovely task.....so they lost their mechanic when he moved south....

Charlie Foster is his name, wonder if he is at all active with airboats down there...it's about 2.5 hours south, so I seen him only once since his move here...I guess he been here almost 5 years now...

Yeh, I guess it has to be a calm day for anything too far off shore in them...:amazed::clobbered: that Caddy engine make for a hell of a anchor....

Keep me posted on your project there, pix are nice....sounds like FUN to me....

Update On The Baja!

I have not had time to be on many websites latelly do to working all the time and trying to get this boat completed. I figured I would drop in and give everybody an update on the $2500 boat.

I have gutted the boat down to the stringers and found everything under the floor was in good shape except some wet foam. I removed all wet foam and replaced the floor along with all wood that was topside covered it is fiberglass and carpet.

I have also built a new dash and new gauges, all new wiring, all new stereo, all new lighting, etc, etc. I am in the process of replacing all the cushions now.Below is some pictures of what I have completed so far.

Old floor removed
IMGP2861-1.jpg

New floor installed with new carpet
IMGP5548.jpg

Old Dash
IMGP2610.jpg

New Dash & steering wheel
IMGP5479.jpg