Aluminum fetish.

Core support

Frame crossmembers

(Actually, the whole frame could be)

Core support yes.
Frame, not so much. The aluminum would have to be thicker to be the same strength.

The aluminum would be thicker, but still lighter. I know a couple guys that always spec'd their OTR trucks with aluminum frames for just that reason.
But there is lots of room there too. Might be a problem under a Vette.

I for one would like to see a OTR truck with an aluminum frame. I really don't see the reasoning behind it. An aluminum or composite trailer yes but just don't think an aluminum frame truck would last very long with all the flexing involved when empty because I have seen aluminum trailers crack just from that. Besides if heat treat metal frame rails on trucks crack I can only imagine what the aluminum would do. The cost difference would be substantial for a weight savings of what at the most 300-400lbs. That kinda of weight could be lost just on steel verses aluminum rims, 5-60 gallons less of fuel, plus I would think salt would trash an aluminum frame being these trucks are subjected to those conditions.

Watch a semi bobtailing and watch the steel frame flex hardcore. Just think the less flexible aluminum would crack and also give a harsher ride in itself.

I drove trucks with alu frames.
yes they are thicker and they flex less than steel frames.
We hauled steel coils etc and they used those frames on KW's W900 L with 550 and 600 hp cat engines with 1800 pounds of torque

Fully loaded no big deal, ride was good but once empty or bob tail (without trailers) the ride was terrible.

yes Québec road salt during winter did hurt frames but the steel frames also took a lot of beating so it was about the same for both.

we also cracked a lot of frames on both steel and alu frames
We hauled 90000 to 125000 pound of steel with those trucks.

Steering gearbox. This was discussed in another thread a while back. I'm convinced this would be feasible. As mentioned then, the Grand Sport had one.

How about the rear suspension linkage, or even the front steering linkages for that matter. If the bearings/ball joints are steel, why not the control rods?
(Unless it's stupid for durability/crash protection/etc.)

I'm sure more alu in the steering column would help
Later C3 columns are lighter, more plastic instead of metal. The shaft is still heavy tho.

I'd like to hear more about that. Anybody know the weight difference, and wiring/connector compatibility?

There was ONE change to ONE wire between my '72 and putting in a late shark TT wheel/column assy, the switch was different, but damn if I remember what, NOW, only been 17 years...:search::amused:

I'm sure more alu in the steering column would help
Later C3 columns are lighter, more plastic instead of metal. The shaft is still heavy tho.

I'd like to hear more about that. Anybody know the weight difference, and wiring/connector compatibility?
Alas, while my later column is now entirely restored, my late one is in parts, any weighting would be not accurate.
On later column the shrouds are all plastic, and the "shift tube" which is all metal is gone. The tube itself already account for a couple of pounds.
Connector wise, they're similar, except the high beam switch which is now on the column.

Wasn't the glass also thinner in very late model C3's as well as thinner body panels?

I'de like to see c3 doors all composite like a C4 door instead of the metal shell glass skin.

Maybe make all the bumper supports aluminum, polished aluminum bumpers instead of the chrome steel ones, magnesium valve covers and air cleaner

Wasn't the glass also thinner in very late model C3's as well as thinner body panels?

I'de like to see c3 doors all composite like a C4 door instead of the metal shell glass skin.

Maybe make all the bumper supports aluminum, polished aluminum bumpers instead of the chrome steel ones, magnesium valve covers and air cleaner

I've been kicking around doing the front bumper in aluminum. The shape isn't that complex. Just for kicks, anybody know the weight of the front bumper?

Frame, not so much. The aluminum would have to be thicker to be the same strength.

Probably so but the Z06 and ZR1 have it.

But they were designed around the material.
"Replacing" a stock frame is a different scenario.

Yeh, you ain't kidding, I fashioned a aluminum bracket for a X1 and X2 injector timing pulse on the front of a Volvo 4 cyl boat, that bracket was a basic horse shoe shape with two IR LED sender/receivers over the crank pully with a hole drilled in it....batch fire '89 Grand Am computer...not closed loop...but that bracket broke, shattered that aluminum like glass on the bolt end....redid it in steel, M/E I used to work with just laughed when he looked at it, and said that ANY aluminum will react like that, vibration....

so I let it go, and figger maybe aluminum is not cool for machinery....and vibrations at high rates of repetitive speeds....obviously suspensions seem ok, I have to guess the aluminum blocks have all that coolant in there to dampen it out good....best guess??

:lol:

I've been kicking around doing the front bumper in aluminum. The shape isn't that complex. Just for kicks, anybody know the weight of the front bumper?

think fiberglass (or better yet get rid of them both front & rear)...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also wondering the possibility of making a fiberglass plastic mold of the bumpers and then once made have them coated in chrome like newer semi grills are.

The glass in the 68-73 rear window frame was thinner than the glued-in glass used from 74-77. It's a really weird thickness that finally required me to track down an original piece of glass after I had the frame in hand. No glass shop I talked to could find it.

think fiberglass (or better yet get rid of them both front & rear)...

It's a street car. I like the stock/sleeper look.

Last edited by a moderator: