I saw 2009 ZR-1 fast run at Nurburgring

Finnshark

This is going to be a long story, but read until the end, there is the stuff promised at the header... :wink:

Almost two weeks ago 15 Corvettes from Finland started their way towards Nurburgring Nordschleife. We started our way by ship from Finland towards Germany. I managed to put my car together for the trip, with a help from my friends. Bad thing was that I had time to test the car only about 30 miles before the trip... I started my trip towards the harbour and I made my way there, about 100 miles trip. No problems. Some of you might remember that I was going through engine update project. Well here is my car back in one piece.

11145.jpg

After a 27 hour trip through the sea we arrived to Travemunde in Germany. There we drove almost 400 miles to Nurburg village. I had some small issues with heat and electricity, but nothing major.

Anyway, few pics about our group. Three C2's 2x '64 and one '65.
10974.jpg

11055.jpg

Few C3's one C4, few C5's and few C6's. Nice collection of cars! Can you believe that the parking lot of our small hotel looked impressive? :devil:
Here is our C4 running through Nurburgring:
11160.jpg

This red C5 is Lingenfelter Twin Turbo, nice and fast car for track!
11156.jpg

And here I am cornering through 16km (10mile) turn. The track is about 22km long, that's about 14 miles. Very interesting track!
11003.jpg

Thursday morning we woke up to roaring sound. I got up and headed for the track. It sounded like a V8, so I had to got up... I grabbed my camera and headed to the track. Our hotel was about 1/4mile from the track. I waited about half an hour, but the track was empty. But I did got to see a red C6 running through the higway next to the track. I thought that one of our group C6 was there because I saw something on the hood. It has a magnacharger popping out of the hood slightly. It took me few seconds before I realized it was 2009 ZR-1! I got so confused that I couldn't put on my camera, I just watched the ZR running below me to the tunnel. (I was on the bridge going above the track and the highway). After breakfast we went to track with my friends hoping that ZR will come back to the track. Afterall the whole day was scheduled for industrial testing. We saw few BMW's with camo etc, but no ZR-1. But we did see a Z06 with a camo though. I have no idea why they were testing the Z06 but there it was:
10981.jpg

10985.jpg

At the afternoon we passed a GM building with GM and Opel signs on the roof. We saw a C6 corvette on the yard, so we went to see that. As soon as we entered the unfenced yard we saw that the car we saw was bright red ZR-1. At the same moment there came a guy out from the building and said that this is GM property and we are not allowed to be there. Anyway we said that we are two Corvette gearheads from Finland and we would like to take a closer look of the ZR. He was really nice guy and let us see the ZR after we gave our cameras to him... It was amazing to stand next to 2009 ZR! To see the big blue brakes, spoilers etc. That car was company test mule with a lot of stuff packed in it and some sensors around the car. We asked if they were going to test the ZR next morning also. He couldn't confirm, but said that it might be wise to wake up early... And so we did...

Next morning we were at the track at around 7:00 sharp. Our cameras ready... We didn't had to wait long. 7:06 we heard a nice roar and orange ZR-1 passed us. That was it! We saw ZR-1 at the track and we had some pics! GREAT! The sound was awesome! After the ZR came the same Z06 mule, it didn't sound even close as good as the ZR did! So be prepared for nice V8 roar! We tried to clock time for the ZR, but unfortunately we couldn't do that as we were in the middle of the track and they drove only one fast lap at a time. They did two fast laps alltogether. At the evening we heard that GM announced 7:26:04 time around the track, the fastest production car time ever in Nurburgring! And we were there during that time! I still can't believe how lucky I was! Here are few pics from that run.

11062.jpg

11061.jpg

There is a video my friend made from that run. The sound is not so clear in the vid as it was in real life. This car is going to be really cool! :devil:

2009 ZR-1 in Nurburgring running the fastest production car lap ever!

What a great trip we had! I was running my car after a long, long project time and we saw new ZR-1 at the same trip! Amazing!

Just goes, once again, to prove that I have the wrong job. I'd much rather be driving that ZR-1

This is so cool, no matter what brakes they use.
I'd be curious to see those car from real close. They are preproduction cars so must have a lot of parts for testing on them.
What a job huh????

Thanks for bringing it in here!

Ok lets compare them, then, shall we?

DeronandVettepics4018.jpg

ZR1profile.jpg

Damn those new vettes are ugly.

Matter of taste, I like it.
I posted up the pics above so you can compare the same basic viewpoint of the C3 vette as well as a modern Viper, to the present ZR1 or Z06 for that matter. In my opinion, the modern vette is a dog:sick: BARF!! Whoever designed them at GM should be working on cargo vans not sports cars.

Last edited:
ok I got it,
I still like the new Vette.
I love the look and appeal of a 72 but I'm not too fond of the viper, personnaly I dont like the too large openings on the side of the car and the bubble top but like I said earlier, it's a matter of taste.

ok I got it,
I still like the new Vette.
I love the look and appeal of a 72 but I'm not too fond of the viper, personnaly I dont like the too large openings on the side of the car and the bubble top but like I said earlier, it's a matter of taste.

Yeah, those Vipers are really ugly.

Viperpics016.jpg

I am not too fond of the new vette styling...but to each his own.

Sad, are you going to put the rocker panels back on? Doesn't look good without them.

Didn't say they were ugly (the Viper), I dont like certain aspect of it compared to some other car.
but I also think they are one hell of a hot rod.

I like the way the exhaust are popping out from under the body, I wish we could do that with our C3

Last edited: