ZF 6 speed

Belgian1979vette

There is a ZF 6 speed for sale at a not to bad price. I know these are a pain to fit among which the shifter position and the trans tunnel on our C3's. The guy selling insists that it's smaller than the Muncie (which I doubt).

Anyone know this for sure (TT ?).

What are the options to do a swap ? I know the C4 uses a different transmount system in the rear. What about a solution for the shifter ?

My '72 used to have a Muncie in it, I had to widen hell outta the trans tunnel to get a 700 auto in it, has a 200 4r in there now, and still needs same width....

I changed the clutch on a friend's ZR1 once long ago, and that trans was a MONSTER, significantly larger than the Muncie

:rain::amazed:

A t5 is about the same size, an s6-40 zf is much bigger. Let me look for a pic.....

If you can find it, I sing the praises of the Richmond any time the opportunity arises. I put the 4+1 in my car. I can still run 3.07 rear gears, have good acceleration and cruise at 2400rpm at 70mph. The fit is almost a drop-in (lift-in) in a c3. The single biggest part of the project is you will absolutely have to fab a new transmission mount. I did have to put a notch in my trans tunnel about 3/8" just to clear the shifter in 1, 3 & R. You also need a TH400 rear yoke.
I got mine off CL for $1100 with a Hurst shifter and will never consider the Tremec. I might, at some day, investigate the 5+1, but not sure if it's worth the additional expense for such minimal gain.

Yes, well happens to be that any of those overdrive transmissions are on the other side of the ocean. Try to get a private seller to ship one across. Ain't going to happen I guess.

Anyway, I like the ratio's in my 4 speed M22 and the 4.11 rear, but yeah the rpm's while cruising at steady speed would need to come down some.

Yes, well happens to be that any of those overdrive transmissions are on the other side of the ocean. Try to get a private seller to ship one across. Ain't going to happen I guess.

Anyway, I like the ratio's in my 4 speed M22 and the 4.11 rear, but yeah the rpm's while cruising at steady speed would need to come down some.

Not even a '90s Iroc Z Camaro you could get a T5 from?
For sure you're courageous restoring a Vette from this side of the pound.

I have a world class T5 from a 3rd gen right here, it's not the strongest box in the world however. I also have some ZFs and a new T56 retrofit (w/ cable drive and soem other stuff) but I'm keeping that one. The ZF is the worst choice to fit in these cars. Shifter is completely in the wrong spot for a stock interior

If you need help with shipping, I have a container guy thsat will handle it no problem. Stuff must be picked up in Lelystad NL

Course we could ship about 5 lbs of bolts from the states, just for shits and giggles.....:2nd::twitch::eek:

I have a world class T5 from a 3rd gen right here, it's not the strongest box in the world however. I also have some ZFs and a new T56 retrofit (w/ cable drive and soem other stuff) but I'm keeping that one. The ZF is the worst choice to fit in these cars. Shifter is completely in the wrong spot for a stock interior

If you need help with shipping, I have a container guy thsat will handle it no problem. Stuff must be picked up in Lelystad NL

I also heard the ZF's make noise without the special dual mass flywheel.

I read the T5 is not so strong. I'm not exactly doing powershifts, but I'm looking at an engine with an output of close to 500 lbs torque, where the t5 is only rated for about half that. hmm,

What do you want for the T5 ?

yes, without the dual mass it's noisy

I'll have to think about the price, it's complete with bellhousing, hydraulics and all. Your engine is a 2pc rear main right? You'll need a different flywheel for it.

yes, without the dual mass it's noisy

I'll have to think about the price, it's complete with bellhousing, hydraulics and all. Your engine is a 2pc rear main right? You'll need a different flywheel for it.

1 piece rear seal converted to 2 piece. Flywheel of an early block and totally new sfi approved btw. Why a new flywheel ?

Hm

If you can find a trans online from a seller anywhere between Las Vegas and LA, I would be happy to arrange to pick it up. I have a friend from France who has been regularly shipping cars for the last couple years. I can pick it up and we could put it in the back of one of his cars.
Just a thought.

If you can find a trans online from a seller anywhere between Las Vegas and LA, I would be happy to arrange to pick it up. I have a friend from France who has been regularly shipping cars for the last couple years. I can pick it up and we could put it in the back of one of his cars.
Just a thought.

Great offer clutch. I'll check if I can find a suitable trans.

BTW :how's your health ?

Mate look at the tremec magnum I fitted one to a 70 model
You need to be creative to make the shifter work in the original position .
It's a good set up and with 4.11 rear and 496 up front
Makes for a quick car
Bit