Winter Fun

jjmartin78

My dad is handing me down his supercharged 69 vette. Hoping to pro mod it on a budget. Looking forward to your ideas and expertise so i am not reinventing the wheel. We are going to be trailering it up sometime in December so pics will be posted. It is in Iowa and I live in Milwaukee, WI.

So hello and look forward to getting this project underway.

Jeff

Welcome! This is a cool place, and I think you'll enjoy it too!

Best of luck on your new project. But somehow the words pro-mod and budget don't mix....LOL!
:drink:

Going to create a list of the order i am thinking of doing things then i would like your guys opinion on the "real" order I should do things. So feel free to add change the order and make other suggestions. I am pretty handy and think that i can figure out most things but somethings are better left to the pros ie drywall :)

Also putting expected budget next to it so feel free to laugh I like to think my hard earned money goes further than it does. ie unrealistic

The look I am going for is the look of Chris McDonald's convertible vet. I will post some picks of rims that I like

My goal is to get it drivable by spring enjoy it a little over the summer then work on it again next winter.

1. Get the motor running and see if it needs to be taken apart. $500 with no major problems

2. Body work $4,000?
a. Fix the front end. Buy new front clip or get a used one?
b. add ACI flairs front and back
C. any additional body work
(don't know if i can do this myself so if anyone knows someone that does glass in the Milwaukee are let me know)

3 New rims and tires. 20" in back 18" or 19" in front Chrome maybe face of rim painted $4,000 with tires?

4. Big brake kit. Thinking Z wondering if you can get the components yourself instead of buying the kits available seem overpriced. $1,000

5. Suspension upgrade, hoping to improve handling and make it more predictable. But have no expectations of it handling like a new car and do not intend to auto cross but do want to feel comfortable stepping into it in a corner. steering? don't know enough see you guys talking about this Jeep conversion though. $2,000

6. Paint, Like Henry Ford said when someone inquired about what colors you could get a model T in "you can have any color you want as long as its black" $2,000

7. Would like to bring back Chrome Side Pipes $1,500

8. Interior believe it or not the interior is actually in pretty good shape. Maybe new carpet stereo but for a couple of years should be fine.$1,500

9. Led lights, hid headlights, power window, electric headlights what ever else you guys come up with thats cool. These are not set in stone and would be small projects to continue to set my car apart from the rest.

10. ???

Last edited:
Wow, that looks badass!

Ask your father where he scored those side mirrors.

If you do get it started, is it in driveable condition? Can you drive it around some? When I got my 70, I get it running and was able to drive it around so I could get a feel for the drive train/steering, etc. You might want to address any of those problems before you start body work.

Wow, that looks badass!

Ask your father where he scored those side mirrors.

If you do get it started, is it in driveable condition? Can you drive it around some? When I got my 70, I get it running and was able to drive it around so I could get a feel for the drive train/steering, etc. You might want to address any of those problems before you start body work.

Think those are what was on the vette when he got it.

Drivable? maybe but i would need to get new tires I dont know if any of the body panels would rub.

And your right I want to do it correct the first time. I want to upgrade the suspension and brakes for sure but if i can do that later (next winter) that would be ideal.

Here is what I was thinking for rims I like the ones on the Blue car but dont know what they are and just like my girlfriends taste probably the most expensive. Always a hard dicission on what to choose because you dont know how it will look on your car when done.

thum_22054ec914bf9c025.jpgthum_22054ec914bfb2f72.jpgthum_22054ec914bfd03c4.jpg

Last edited:
I'll suggest to make sure you can stop that missle first! Corvette brake systems don't take too well to sitting for long periods of time.
1. Get the brakes in top working order
2. Get it running
3. Burn the old tires off it for a show-off rush!
4. Bling, bling etc...

IMO, keep it retro as is. I think the paint is cool! Ya gotta admit, it'd be a 'one-off' unique Vette! To me, much more unique than copying what's already out there....

My dad actually painted it himself it was definitly a design and look that has stood the test of time. Paint will go due to the bodywork issues.

I will do the brakes but dont want to put money in the old ones if i am going to do it want to upgrade with how i want it to be when finished.

I was actually thinking about getting rid of the 671 and going stealth but i am changing my mind on that.

No burning off the old tires the sidewalls are rotted. My dad had set it up as a go fast in a straight line i want to go more in the direction of a promod.

I don't know when Stainless Steel lined calipers became available, but they been around for decades....so you maybe pull all of them and tear down to look at the bore liners, shiney stainless is GOOD, old pitted iron all dark color is NOT, hard for me to imagine any shark with stock brake calipers for some time now, BUT, YMMV.....;-)))

:yahoo:

I don't know when Stainless Steel lined calipers became available, but they been around for decades....so you maybe pull all of them and tear down to look at the bore liners, shiney stainless is GOOD, old pitted iron all dark color is NOT, hard for me to imagine any shark with stock brake calipers for some time now, BUT, YMMV.....;-)))

:yahoo:

It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure the had the ss liners.

Looks like it has been sitting for awhile. You might want to give that engine a going threw before trying to fire it up. Not sense chancing a perfectly good engine.

Yes planned out changing all fluids, fuel line, rebuild carbs, and take apart blower to make sure no issues there. etc.

Looks like it has been sitting for awhile. You might want to give that engine a going threw before trying to fire it up. Not sense chancing a perfectly good engine.