Will these rims and tires fit?

68RAT

I'm checking out a set of tires/rims on the for sale site and need to know if these rims will fit my '68 coupe. I have stock suspension and the parking brake cable has NOT been moved.

The tires and wheels are:
17x8 MB Wheels Old School wrapped in Kumho Ecsta SPT 245/45's up front and 255/50's out back.
Back space is 4.5; Offset is 0

I like these rims:thumbs: (so does the Wife -- actually she likes the car they're on:censored:) I think the fronts will leave a little more of the wheel well showing but the backs should be okay. The tire width will be narrower on the front so clearance with steering shouldn't be a problem. My biggest concern is clearance from the brakes and the parking brake cable on the back. I can always re-locate the cable if necessary.

Here's a pic of the rims.
e400774a.jpg

Any and all help/opinions/input will be considered.

68rat

I would be a little worried about that extra .5" backspace. As I recall factory backspace is 4" and there isn't much additional clearance between the rim and trailing arm. One of those things I think that it's going to be so close you can't say one way or the other, you'll need to try mounting one and seeing what you get.

thanx for the link DC3. I played with it for awhile. :)
Clutchdust I was afraid that it would be too close and have to try them to find out BUT they are a thousand miles away.:cry: Guess I'll pass and see if I can find some NEW ones locally.

68rat

What? 1000 miles? Sounds like a road trip to me. :p
I hate to say it, but it's just so close I would be worried about it. Sure you couldn't find someone in the area that has a C3 that would be willing to do a test fit for you?

Backspacing is 1/2" too far in. Get some 1/2" or 1" spacers if they don't fit.

Please say adapters, not spacers....spacers bring to mind that cheeeeeeeeep cast crap that WHEN IT FAILS will bust the living shit outta a car....

BTDT, not mine, but a friend's car.....couldn't believe it,

I hear of really good aluminum machined 'spacers' as being cool, just not anything off any store shelf.....I think it's Mr. Gasket that sold the one I saw....

it only takes once....cheep castings just not going to take the crap serious metal will....

:hissyfit::censored:

Please say adapters, not spacers....spacers bring to mind that cheeeeeeeeep cast crap that WHEN IT FAILS will bust the living shit outta a car....

I hear of really good aluminum machined 'spacers' as being cool, just not anything off any store shelf.....I think it's Mr. Gasket that sold the one I saw....

it only takes once....cheep castings just not going to take the crap serious metal will....

Please explain the difference between spacer and adapter.

I would have thought either one maybe have been maunufactured with cast material.
As usual I am probably wrong, but I have always thought spacer was a disc of a given thickness with holes in it that moved the wheel further out on the studs.
I thought an adapter was a disc of a given thickness that had holes for the wheel studs and another set of studs fastened to it that were a different bolt pattern to adapt a wheel to a different bolt pattern.

Please explain the difference between spacer and adapter.

I would have thought either one maybe have been maunufactured with cast material.
As usual I am probably wrong, but I have always thought spacer was a disc of a given thickness with holes in it that moved the wheel further out on the studs.
I thought an adapter was a disc of a given thickness that had holes for the wheel studs and another set of studs fastened to it that were a different bolt pattern to adapt a wheel to a different bolt pattern.

OK, you go to your typical 'speed shop' and buy a cheep POS cast potmetal maybe lo grade aluminum 'spacer' that typically fits a bunch of applications....alluded to above by Mr, Gasket co......

I pulled a wheel off some car and seen the destruct on that crap, it had shattered and caused some lug nut wear, it wasn't even a particularly high performance car, had 5 lugs is all I remember.....

now I am told we can use a machined spacer, precisely made to fit over the studs tightly, and being high quality/aircraft aluminum billet it can withstand the loading, cast junk can NOT.....

so that is all a spacer......an ADAPTOR like what I have on my vette, is typically much thicker, uses stock studs/nutz just like a mag wheel on the inner set of lugs.....then it has a indexed set of studs interleaved with the ones on the car....and a second set of lugs that actually hold the wheel to the adaptor......on on my car it takes TEN lugs to get to the rotor, for instance.....

the adaptors I have were made by VBP, and so it seems from the comments with the woman at the time, I was the guy who told them the thickness for getting '92 style/similar rims onto a shark.....NOW I have '89 17x9.5 vette rims all around....

the adaptors are made better than the wheels....seriously....

I still use stock lugs on the hubs, but they are 7/16? and the ones on the adaptors are 1/2 inch,....they maybe metric, but I forget about that point.....:drink:

I have always thought spacer was a disc of a given thickness with holes in it that moved the wheel further out on the studs.

Your definition of spacer vs adapter is correct. Gene is right in warning against the cheapo die-cast aluminum spacers. If you have to use spacers or wheel adapters, use the good ones machined from billet aluminum. Best not to use them at all in my opinion but a lot of guys run them without problems.

DC

I have always thought spacer was a disc of a given thickness with holes in it that moved the wheel further out on the studs.

Your definition of spacer vs adapter is correct. Gene is right in warning against the cheapo die-cast aluminum spacers. If you have to use spacers or wheel adapters, use the good ones machined from billet aluminum. Best not to use them at all in my opinion but a lot of guys run them without problems.

DC

But an ADAPTER, indexed as I said above, is/can be as solid as any OEM wheel....like anything else, more to the material and technique....in other words....use a brain....

I've been using this style adapter since 2001 on numerous cars, never had a problem, even on my C6 I installed 3/4" adapters to get the wheels flush with the fenders... 400+ HP and a heavy foot don't break them :thumbs:

IM000672zzzzzzzz.jpg

I've been using this style adapter since 2001 on numerous cars, never had a problem, even on my C6 I installed 3/4" adapters to get the wheels flush with the fenders... 400+ HP and a heavy foot don't break them :thumbs:

IM000672zzzzzzzz.jpg

Yup, but 2.5" thick is what I have have for just over 15 years now.....same thing.....grenade proof, I would say....

:hi: