Who is the masicist that designed the doors on these damn cars???

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
I did some work on the doors of an '81 today, namely removing and installing the outer door handle. Dear God, what a pain in the ass! It must have taken almost an hour just to get that nut on the back side stud.
I would love to kick that asshole in the crotch.

Drop the latch mech out/down, don't bother disconnecting any levers/rods....use a 1/4" drive socket with swivel/universal on it, and a shallow well socket, I put on a 12" extension, total time maybe 5 minits....:hissyfit::clobbered::nuts:

I did some work on the doors of an '81 today, namely removing and installing the outer door handle. Dear God, what a pain in the ass! It must have taken almost an hour just to get that nut on the back side stud.

Yep. I have done that more times than I care to admit. It does get easier after a half dozen times or so.

Yep. I have done that more times than I care to admit. It does get easier after a half dozen times or so.

YUUUPP.....which is why I called out the tool list I find best....:nuts:

I don't wanna talk about my first effort......:clobbered:

It's probably the same guy that designed all the latches on a C3. They are all shit. If you find him, kick him in the crotch twice (once for me)!

It's probably the same guy that designed all the latches on a C3. They are all shit. If you find him, kick him in the crotch twice (once for me)!

The door latches?? mine have been great, I just lube them maybe twice with ATF over the last 17 years...my hood latches never gave any issues, just the pull cable to the dash, which went junk, and I ran a coat hanger....now I just have hood pins in front and cowel hinges.....:nuts:

Probably the same guy who designed the wiper door hinges...

and his cousins were the welders who weelded the frames...
Haaa what the hell , kick him for me too while your at it.

Practice makes perfect.:nuts:

Probably the same guy who designed the wiper door hinges...

and his cousins were the welders who weelded the frames...
Haaa what the hell , kick him for me too while your at it.

OH, I LOVE my wiper door, purposely retained it in operation, electric of course, no more sucky vacuum, intermittant wipers to boot.....no more grill between it and the hood, filled in fixed piece, no more grills behind the top either...:clap:

Here's some practice.

032012_6.jpg

Here's some practice.

032012_6.jpg

I just happened to watch that episode tonight.:nuts:

My experience is that "engineers" are people that spend a lot of time while getting payed a lot of money to make simple things very complicated.

I think a law should be passed requiring "engineers" to spend at least 6 months
having to repair the crap they design.

For the car companies, the "engineers" are shunted aside. It's the accountants, economical analysts, etc that dominate car design. Maintainability, repairability, are diminished to minimize window sticker price. Actually the real culprit is the customer. When someone goes to buy a car, they are attracted by superficial features. If customers were factoring maintainability, repairability, into their car purchases, the manufactures would respond.

My 95 Cadillac SLS Seville needs to have a crank oil seal replaced. The local dealer wants $3000 labor to replace the seal. The seal costs about $10. The water pump, hidden away, gets a $1000 labor charge for replacement.........

The financial people, not the engineers, should be made to replace some things as part of their analyses.

For the car companies, the "engineers" are shunted aside. It's the accountants, economical analysts, etc that dominate car design. Maintainability, repairability, are diminished to minimize window sticker price. Actually the real culprit is the customer. When someone goes to buy a car, they are attracted by superficial features. If customers were factoring maintainability, repairability, into their car purchases, the manufactures would respond.

My 95 Cadillac SLS Seville needs to have a crank oil seal replaced. The local dealer wants $3000 labor to replace the seal. The seal costs about $10. The water pump, hidden away, gets a $1000 labor charge for replacement.........

The financial people, not the engineers, should be made to replace some things as part of their analyses.

I'll do them both for 500 labor, too bad you in Ca. and me in Fl.....:cry:

My experience is that "engineers" are people that spend a lot of time while getting payed a lot of money to make simple things very complicated.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there.

If the car companies could pay a guy less to design a simpler part that would still meet the specs, they'd do it in a heartbeat. Engineers are the lowest guys on the corporate food chain. Trust me, management isn't focused on making the engineers life a world of luxury. There's certainly engineering personnel that should have perhaps pursued other vocational directions, but given the PITA it is to design anything these days that will keep the EPA, DOT, NHTSA, and the ambulance chasers off your ass, it's a wonder anything gets built at a price anyone can afford.

Just my experience.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there.

If the car companies could pay a guy less to design a simpler part that would still meet the specs, they'd do it in a heartbeat. Engineers are the lowest guys on the corporate food chain. Trust me, management isn't focused on making the engineers life a world of luxury. There's certainly engineering personnel that should have perhaps pursued other vocational directions, but given the PITA it is to design anything these days that will keep the EPA, DOT, NHTSA, and the ambulance chasers off your ass, it's a wonder anything gets built at a price anyone can afford.

Just my experience.

We all take a swipe at engineering once in a while, but man are YOU correct....:D

Hey, I resemble that!!:D I'm an EE so most of the time you get to throw it away and buy new. :clap:
And oh, BTW. If you had the special tool we design to do the service it would make it sooo much easier. But we keep them for ourself. :rofl:

Hey, I resemble that!!:D I'm an EE so most of the time you get to throw it away and buy new. :clap:
And oh, BTW. If you had the special tool we design to do the service it would make it sooo much easier. But we keep them for ourself. :rofl:

I keep My special tool closely guarded in my pants....only used for the finest projects....

:clap::D