Which Thermostat?

agent20x

I currently have a 160* thermostat, but I was thinking I need to run a hotter one. From a thermodynamic standpoint I should use one that keeps the engine as hot as possible, but then there is detonation to consider at higher temps. What do you guys think I should run with a 9.6 compression aluminum head 400?

As you probably know, the stat will set the minimum operating temp and that's IT....once it's open, it's a function of the rad capacity to cool at whatever air temp is available....and the size of the opening in the stat...over the years, they have reduced the opening size about 1/8 inch or more....

I would go with a 180f stat, and let it go, getting the rad/fan combo to cool it to that or just above on the hottest days .....I really hate seeing anything over 212, boiling point, as that typically gets me into pinging territory....for some reason it's always the tipping point by my experiences.....dunno why...really....

:D:flash:

I recommend the Robertshaw 180* unit from Mr Gasket. It fails open. I also like the Felpro silicone gasket. $10, but seals well, and is reusable. Makes flushing easier.