Where to purchase an exterior door handle spring.

Maymyvetteliveforever

Anyone know where I can purchase the spring in the picture? I've checked most vendors and nobody seems to sell them.

ODH2905R-1.jpg

$(KGrHqRHJBIE9!ztJVUDBPWT67pLiQ~~60_58.jpg

$(KGrHqVHJEoE88d-k,2kBPWT6jZLwg~~60_58.jpg

And I don't want.

A4302.jpg

EH, go to Lowes Despot, and buy a spring of similar dimensions, and make one...

:smash:

Thanks for the reply Mrvette,

I checked both Lowes, Rona and Home Depot and couldn't find any,

Just so the spring coil is the same, cut it off and straighten the end tab of the coil you need, heat with torch if spring is too tuff.....

I just bend the wire per normal like it was electrical.....

:drink:

Make your own.
Wrap steel wire on some sort of cylinder, harden it, try it.
Repeat, changing loop count and/or wire size until correct strength is reached.

Try ACE Hardware. They actually have...hardware.
Being from Canada we have Home Hardware instead but it's worth a try.
Make your own.
Wrap steel wire on some sort of cylinder, harden it, try it.
Repeat, changing loop count and/or wire size until correct strength is reached.
I thought of that but didn't know a source for bare round metal.
I thought of that but the tension was too high.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Another idea...call one of the several Corvette breakers and ask if they have any door handles with bad chrome but a good spring. If it's cosmetically roached, they'd probably sell it cheap.

Thanks for the replied guys.
Another idea...call one of the several Corvette breakers.
Here in Canada, we don't have many around, the closest is maybe 45 minutes away and i doubt they'd let it go for cheap. It's all about supply and demand here.
Look for "piano wire" or "music wire", it's an quiet hard steel wire, RC hobbyists use is a lot.
It's worth a try, I check the hobby store next time I'm at the mall.

Guys, I really appreciate the time you took to do a search but, that's not the same spring I'm looking for. I believe that's the one that fits at the end of the handle, where the long 4-5" rod fits through. There are two types of spring for the 68-82 outside door handle. The one I'm looking for has a larger center hole, 4 wound spring curved and bent over ends.

I'm looking for the one more similar to the one pictured below.

DR-513.JPG

Here in Canada, we don't have many around, the closest is maybe 45 minutes away and i doubt they'd let it go for cheap. It's all about supply and demand here.

Call one in the states. It shouldn't cost that much to get them across the border.

Call one in the states. It shouldn't cost that much to get them across the border.

Or try this in Pennsylvania

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/d...ubcategoryid=&searchname=Keyword: door handle

they have your spring

I'm assuming you have a lazy drooping door handle. Maybe you could rebend the existing spring to get more tension. I'm curious if you have to remove the whole thing to replace the spring. I have the same problem going on so let us how how you resolve it.

I called two today and they told me to come down and take a look, well that's not possible. Another said they probably have it but don't want to take the handle apart just to sell the spring. I can keep trying.
Or try this in Pennsylvania, they have your spring
That's the same spring that Denpo found and it's not the same spring if it's part # 2653.
Just buy a 15.00 set of handles off ebay with the spring ... end of problem
That maybe my other choice but I've found that shipping to Canada is worth more then the actual price of the door handles.
I'm assuming you have a lazy drooping door handle. Maybe you could rebend the existing spring to get more tension. I'm curious if you have to remove the whole thing to replace the spring. I have the same problem going on so let us how how you resolve it.
I don't have a droppy door handle, that repair would need spring #2653 from Corvette America. My existing spring broke so it's not repairable.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.