Where to buy color keyed wires to lengthen a ECM harness

JeffP1167

OK

Here is the problem, I want to take a 1990-92 camaro ECM harness and route it like my 82 vette ecm harness so the ECM is back by the battery again. I suppose I could also re-pin the harness for a underhood vette ECM.

I will be running a digital dash so VSS/speedo cable isn't a issue.

I will also have a 1990 corvette ecm harness so maybe this would be the better choice. But I am not sure how hard it would be to integrate but the camaro harness seems less of a hassle.

Try M&H Electrical Fabricators. Santa Fe Springs, Ca 90670. 562-926-9552. They make factory duplicate wire harnesses for Corvettes and other cars. They sell spools of color coded wire. Also, check out Lectric Limited. Lectric also makes factory duplicate wire harnesses, but they tend to not sell the component parts; i.e. it's the whole harness or nothing. I think M&H will make custome harnesses....not sure.

Last edited:
Try M&H Electrical Fabricators. Santa Fe Springs, Ca 90670. 562-926-9552. They make factory duplicate wire harnesses for Corvettes and other cars. They sell spools of color coded wire. Also, check out Lectric Limited. Lectric also makes factory duplicate wire harnesses, but they tend to not sell the component parts; i.e. it's the whole harness or nothing. I think M&H will make custome harnesses....not sujre.

I hear of these 'custom harnesses' and for the life of me I can't see HOW, they dunno where you going to put the computer, much less the specific wire route you going to use, and so how in hell they going to fab up something without doing 50' of extra wire?? one guy wants it in the battery box, another in the extra box on pass/right side, another wants it under a seat, and there is ME with common sense wanting it behind the map pocket on pass side, or in glove box equivalent for later sharks, then someone else wants in in whatever nook and cranny they think it can survive in the engine compartment.....

WTF?? who in hell kidding who?? not possible....so you need crimp tools and a soldering iron, much less know how to use it, then the cable ends/connectors

Which adds up to a slight unfair advantage for me, in that I can actually rework wires, and solder/wrap connections, and get over with it for CHEEP!!!!!

your bux, your decision.....OH, Jeff, I rewired my system MY color codes, messes up car thieves, makes my car not steal able without a hook.....but if you want to save marking up a diagram, you can always go to a junkyard and pull/cut harnesses, but in your case, maybe most of the wiring color codes match up anyway.....

:bonkers::waxer::devil:

Last edited:
I hear of these 'custom harnesses' and for the life of me I can't see HOW, they dunno where you going to put the computer, much less the specific wire route you going to use, and so how in hell they going to fab up something without doing 50' of extra wire?? .....

If someone would be willing to make custom wire harnesses with the correct OEM connectors, I'd think they'd have a good business....but you'd need customers that were a little sophisticated. The customer would have to make a dummy prototype harness, maybe put cheap Radio Shack connectors on it, or just carefully bundle bare ended wires together. The custom fabricator would duplicate the length and number of wires in each harness and then add the correct OEM connectors.

I needed custom harnesses for my 68 (electric fans, electric fuel pumps, HEI distributor). I wanted it to have a definate OEM look. $$$$$$$$$ For instance I used all Packard Electric connectors. Lets say I needed four four pin connectors. That meant I needed 4 male connectors and 4 females connectors. But Packard will only sell minimum numbers of say 25 males and 29 females four pin connectors. They come in packages and why the different number of males and females for the same connector design?? Anyhow for my 4 connectors I end up buying 25 connectors with a few spares halfs. Now I need 16 pins..right? So, the minimum number of pins means buying a bag of 50. But..the bag of 50 pins are for wire gauges of say 12 to 16. If I'm going to have another wire gauge in my connector.......another bag of 50. Then the waterproofing pin seals. Once again another bag of...may 30 color coded plastic pin seal for a given wire gauge size and another bag for another wire gauge size.. This is for four connectors! Of course the pins and seals can be used in other connectors. And what else...you have to buy the correct assembly tools for the connectors...gauge specific pin insertion tools, gauge specific wire strippers and crimping tools. It's really expensive and it'd be economical if someone provided this as a service.

What about custom stainless steel tube lines? Quality tools to double flair SS lines and quality bending tools get to be really expensive. Solution? Make your custom tube lines out of copper tubing. It's easy to double flare and bend...of course add the proper AN fittings or whatever. Then send your custom copper tube line sets to In-Line Tube in Michigan, They'll laser scan your copper custom tube sets and their computer controlled tube bending machine will duplicate the lines in stainless steel lines and they'll add on the flared connectors.

So...I'd think custom wire harnesses should be possible, like custom made stainless steel lines.

I know how to re-pin harnesses so it's just the wires I need. I even thought about using a 86-89 vette harness in this 82