What years did the C3 have black window trim?

BangkokDean

Not sure if this the place to ask this? I see the 81 had black window trim but what other years was it available?:sos:

Thanks guys....I do see many pictures out there of 78,79 and 80 with non black window trim and was thinking that maybe the black was an option?

My 81 is mostly black with shiny alloy showing thru in many areas. I suspect they came black and as it wore off people polished them. Some of the usuals have the appropriate color matte black paint to redo these if it's really important....

Up to Early 79 - first design were shiny stainless; Late 79 - 82 second design were all painted Black.
Same exact parts - just painted. GM serviced the painted version long after the un painted was discontinued & we merely cleaned off the paint with lacquer thinner.

Up to Early 79 - first design were shiny stainless; Late 79 - 82 second design were all painted Black.
Same exact parts - just painted. GM serviced the painted version long after the un painted was discontinued & we merely cleaned off the paint with lacquer thinner.
So they are SS, I thought it was chromed.
That means I have more hope to remove the scratches on mine:waxer::yahoo:

I'm not 100% sure on their being a stainless steel base metal - as I never tried the test with magnet. I just assumed they are stainless as all 63-67 & 68-77 are SS, but that logic doesn't always hold true.

For sure as Corvettes have evolved, the use of chrome & stainless use has declined in their usage as blackout has risen.

I'm stuck in a time warp & prefer chrome bumper Corvettes. I'd really like to add a Pennant Blue 55 V8 as I got another garage space available.

I'm not 100% sure on their being a stainless steel base metal - as I never tried the test with magnet. I just assumed they are stainless as all 63-67 & 68-77 are SS, but that logic doesn't always hold true.

For sure as Corvettes have evolved, the use of chrome & stainless use has declined in their usage as blackout has risen.

I'm stuck in a time warp & prefer chrome bumper Corvettes. I'd really like to add a Pennant Blue 55 V8 as I got another garage space available.

I have some left over trim with paint removed from the 79 parts donor. The trim becomes dull. IMO it's alu, ss doesn't get dull. Hence probably why they painted it in the first place.

BTW, you have it listed in your own cat as starting in 77
http://shop.docrebuild.com/1977-1982corvettewindshieldupperouterblackmoldingreplacesgm14009602.aspx

Here is a 77 brochure

Brochure5.jpg

The windshield trim is stainless AND is flash chromed.
If you buff too hard with a course compound you will go thru the chrome and get two different hues of bright. Stainless doesn't polish out the same color as chrome.
GM did this because of cost, far too expensive to polish stainless properly.

If you buff too hard with a course compound you will go thru the chrome and get two different hues of bright. Stainless doesn't polish out the same color as chrome.
arigato gozaimasu sensei :blush:

arigato gozaimasu sensei :blush:

不客气 :thumbs:

I could be wrong, but looking at the trim I have here I seriously doubt that it is SS. It's so light and bends so easily I doubt that very much. Maybe the earlier years were SS.