What would you do?

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
About 6 years ago I took my E-150 ford van in to my (at the time) local mechanic for brake work. The truck had all of my contractors tools in it. The mechanic left the truck on his lot over night with the keys in it and it was stolen. It was recovered about 2 weeks later - empty. In the meantime I had to have a work truck so I went out and bought a new 2004 E-250 - I did not know if my old truck was ever going to be recovered. Long story short - the mechanic claimed that he was not covered for the loss by his insurance so I suggested that he "work it off" (we were friends?) and work on my '79 'Vette for me. Again long story short - he started the work and never finished it. I had to have the car towed off of his lot to my new and current mechanic and then paid to have the work completed out of my pocket. 6 years have gone by. Cost of new van =$30,000.00 Cost of replacing tools =$6,000.00 Amount of loss recovered - negligible. The negligent mechanic is still in business.

What would you do? :rain:

Did your car insurance pay ? Did your homeowners ins. pay ?

Sounds like neglect, leaving it like that in the first place. And I would think that his not being covered has no bearing on his responsibility.

Judge Judy is cheap. :lol:

Warn him that unless comes up with some pay back (or whatever it is you want from him), you'll join every forum you can think of, who's members might one day run into him, and post up a big thread about him and his ethics...

Last edited:
Sounds like your ex-mechanic is lacking in the character dept.
To seek vengeance would only prove your no better.

I would say chalk it up to experience and move on.
Yes 40K is a lot of dough. But far better than being told
you have cancer. Forgive and Forget .... the day will come
when it will be your act of negligence and you'll look back
and be glad you did.

Warn him that unless comes up with some pay back (or whatever it is you want from him), you'll join every forum you can think of, who's members might one day run into him, and post up a big thread about him and his ethics...

Given the probability of my posts being read, much less remembered, yeh, BTDT, I have a couple of ex business partners that have died from cancer one in the brain...Douglas K. Johnson, BRAIN cancer, for the conniving and schemes he has pulled in his life...bee many taking bux off more than a couple guys in the Corvette community..... has some memorial at the Corvette Museum, he and his still alive? crooked partner ripped me on a deal, followed the partner through BK courts here in Florida....back before the 'reform act' 01-02 era....crooked lawyers and judges on the take....too bad so sad, I have the written paperwork to back up my facts....but the 'judges' don't care...that's ok I know where one of them lives, and have a good lead on the other...as well as Doug's partner...William F. Tschanen....

so there of course was another one...and Steve Szala died of throat cancer for all the lies he told.....but his younger partner is guilty as hell, his name is Kevin Hester....feel free to do a search on any of the names...they are listed.....

suffice to say, I have MY payback schedule....and it will be VERY PUBLIC>>>>

eff all of them forever.....

the judges THINK they are immune....NO....

:cussing::huh:

Well....6 years have gone by. Sounds like you have already moved....except for this post.

:stirpot:
I tend to stew over these things from time to time.
I posted this scenario to see if there is any legal recourse open to me. 6 grand in tools is a lot of money. 6 years is a long time to wait. I can see where I might not recover the cost of the new replacement van. Any ideas?

Sounds like neglect, leaving it like that in the first place. And I would think that his not being covered has no bearing on his responsibility.

Well....6 years have gone by. Sounds like you have already moved....except for this post.

:stirpot:
I tend to stew over these things from time to time.
I posted this scenario to see if there is any legal recourse open to me. 6 grand in tools is a lot of money. 6 years is a long time to wait. I can see where I might not recover the cost of the new replacement van. Any ideas?

I would agree with 010752....he had your vehicle in his posession which would make him responsible for it on his business property. But I would think time is not on your side..only way to know for sure is to check with a civil lawyer in your state.

Exactly. You're pissing in the wind now. You don't really have crap to do or say at this point. Even legally, you're time is up.
This post should have been titled, "I was remembering way back when..."

Several good responses here and I can understand and agree with all of them.

SMYDA's response is very honorable and I can say that I've BTDT. Not in business but with auto accidents. Had the opportunity to sue big time over a crash....didn't. Took what was due through insurance and moved on.

Fast forward years later, was the cause of a pretty decent crash. No one died or really even injured, but the possibility for a suit based on what I was driving (county vehicle), and the other cars involved, and with PI attornies at thier heyday.....and no suit....Karma:)
I try to take the "high road" whenever possible.

mrvette's response also strikes a bell. I've personally known so lying, conieving bastards that ended up with throat cancer! I've known some other worthless SOB's that cheated a lot of people, and ended upp dead with some disease:(

I really do believe in Karma.

FWIW, I'll give you the technical side:

First-Check the statute of limitations in your state on property loss/civil suits. I know in Florida on a personal injury claim resulting from an auto accident, you have 4 years to file the suit. So check and make sure you're not wasting your time.

Also, make sure you check your paperwork and his property at the shop. Were there signs or did you sign anything, that exempted him from liability for lost or stolen property?

Then, although you can do the rest yourself, I'd hire an attorney.

Have them send him a demand letter for the amount of damages and demand his insurance information.
Have him send a letter to the insurance company as well demanding coverage limits.

If you find out they paid a claim on the matter, you now have a criminal case on your hands. Insurance fraud. Turn it over to the locals and keep going with the civil aspect of things.

If it were never paid, file a suit against him and his insurer for the losses +++.

If in the alternative, it was paid and he kept the money, file against him only to recover the amount due ++++.

This can be a long and somewhat expensive proposition, one you can eventually win and likely recover attorney fees and costs (otherwise-don't do it. The attorney fee's alone will eat up your settlement on a hourly basis.)

Finally, make sure before you do anything, that he and/or the business, is solvent.

Make sure that there's some possibility of recovering your damages if awarded by the courts.

There's something about blood and a Turnip that keeps running through my head:wink:

Best of luck with it.

About 6 years ago I took my E-150 ford van in to my (at the time) local mechanic for brake work. The truck had all of my contractors tools in it. The mechanic left the truck on his lot over night with the keys in it and it was stolen. It was recovered about 2 weeks later - empty. In the meantime I had to have a work truck so I went out and bought a new 2004 E-250 - I did not know if my old truck was ever going to be recovered. Long story short - the mechanic claimed that he was not covered for the loss by his insurance so I suggested that he "work it off" (we were friends?) and work on my '79 'Vette for me. Again long story short - he started the work and never finished it. I had to have the car towed off of his lot to my new and current mechanic and then paid to have the work completed out of my pocket. 6 years have gone by. Cost of new van =$30,000.00 Cost of replacing tools =$6,000.00 Amount of loss recovered - negligible. The negligent mechanic is still in business.

What would you do? :rain:

Then: I would have turned in a claim to my insurance and let them go after him for their losses.
Now: I would forget this and move on with life.

Last edited:
I want to thank you all for the feedback - it is all good. This little "exercise" helps keep me grounded and keeps things in perspective.

I would still want to go back and kick his ass over the tools,how would he feel if someone stole his tools. Your tools are means of support , screw the old van,you probably enjoy the new one anyway.

I want to thank you all for the feedback - it is all good. This little "exercise" helps keep me grounded and keeps things in perspective.

I would still want to go back and kick his ass over the tools,how would he feel if someone stole his tools. Your tools are means of support , screw the old van,you probably enjoy the new one anyway.

Early '89, just after the ex left, I bought a new Dodge LWB Maxi van, factory windows so classed as a bus, allowed on park roads and tagged as a car/van..not a truck.....important in the DC area....and so in keeping with the then new Md. Home IMp commission law....I put my company and MHIC Lic# on the side of the new van....along with my phone number of course....

and so it lasted just 2 months before 850 bux of power tools were taken from it right in the middle of like a HD/Lowes parking lot as I was discussing kitchen layout/plans and picking up a counter top....

:cussing::banned:

Early '89, just after the ex left, I bought a new Dodge LWB Maxi van, factory windows so classed as a bus, allowed on park roads and tagged as a car/van..not a truck.....important in the DC area....and so in keeping with the then new Md. Home IMp commission law....I put my company and MHIC Lic# on the side of the new van....along with my phone number of course....

and so it lasted just 2 months before 850 bux of power tools were taken from it right in the middle of like a HD/Lowes parking lot as I was discussing kitchen layout/plans and picking up a counter top....

Shoot to kill......I hate thieves !

Shoot to kill......I hate thieves !

Yeh, I made wages that week....that's about all....:clobbered:

That is why I sometimes "stew" over this. He was a nice guy, still is to most people. I just don't understand his lack of ethics.

Pay a crackhead to rip off as many of his tools as he can carry and call it even. (better pay the crackhead after hes done the deed :) not before)

That is why I sometimes "stew" over this. He was a nice guy, still is to most people. I just don't understand his lack of ethics.

Sounds like lack of MONEY, more than anything....I suspect....:sweat: