Weighed my front end

73c34me

Place my clamshell style 1 piece front end on the bathroom scale tonight. Wt. is 135 lb.s Don't know if this is fat is slim... includes a lot of extra fiberglass/ plastic work. L/88 hood scoop & cold air box is grafted on, front bumper (flex fit 1973) inner fenders, lower valence/complete hood, bracing & hinges for the mount & tilt & some extra bracing to make it sturdy as a tilt front end:fishing:

do you have any photos of the front end your building?

I'm wanting to do the same on my 82 model any info. I'd be very thankful for.

Place my clamshell style 1 piece front end on the bathroom scale tonight. Wt. is 135 lb.s Don't know if this is fat is slim... includes a lot of extra fiberglass/ plastic work. L/88 hood scoop & cold air box is grafted on, front bumper (flex fit 1973) inner fenders, lower valence/complete hood, bracing & hinges for the mount & tilt & some extra bracing to make it sturdy as a tilt front end:fishing:

I have considered changing to a clamshell type hood to save weight for racing on my C-3. This thought occurred to me with the light L-88 aftermarket hood on my 69. It feels to be half the weight of a stock hood, but I never weighed it. I do have a stock 82 hood, without hardware, and it weights 36 pounds on a digital bathroom scale. If your hood has the one piece headlights mounted, I'd think you are way less than the original parts, but I'm just guessing. The clamshell hood and potential weight saving is an appealing mod. Good luck with the project!

I do not have fixed headlights. This is the original frontend that I made into a 1 piece clamshell style, with an L/88 hood scoop installed. I need to make or purchase the Lemans style headlights. F.W.I.W. my original vacuum operated headlights weighed 32 lbs. for the pair on my bathroom scale. On a related note I removed approx. 40 lbs. (memory here) from the front frame and brackets of the car doing my conversion. Then added in an unknown amount of weight doing the glass/plastic work to bond the hood to the fenders & surround.

I may still have a basic write up that I received from twin turbo a few years ago on how to make a clamshell style. I will say, though, it is probably best if you look at your car closely and decide how you want to do it. There is alot of little problem solving to do, along with the larger obvious task... Having said that I am glad I did it!