Truth in advertising: I propose a new law.

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
And that law is that the phrase "high quality" and "made in china" can never be applied to the same product.
Case in point. I bought a new frige last week. I needed a different valve under the sink to hook up the ice maker. I go to Lowes and pick up a suitable valve. Right on the tag were those two phrases. This shit valve had two miserable little flats you were supposed to use to tighten it on the thread fitting. So I taped up the (NPT) threads and tightened it down as best as I could get it with the pissy little flats. Put it on and it leaked at the threads. Shit. I pull it back off and spin it 1/2, by now it's really tight and the shit flats have already rounded off. I have to put a pipe wrench on it. Put it back on. Guess what? Leaks.
I only used the teflon tape because I didn't have my preferred sealant, this anaerobic epoxy we use at work. So today I grab a tube of it and bring it home, pull the valve off, clean it and smear the epoxy on it. Put it back together and guess what? STILL FUCKING LEAKS!
I go back to Lowes and buy another one of these shit valves, put on my epoxy, tighten it down, turn it on and finally success.
So in the end, a $13 valve cost me $26 and a job that should have taken all of 15 minutes ended up taking almost two hours (travel time).
Chinese garbage.:bomb:

There is plenty of quality stuff being made in China. There is plenty of shit being made in China. You picked up a piece of shit. Caveat emptor.

I hope Sam is right and I do think eventually China will get the quality figured out (Japan eventually did). But, I'm with clutchdust on this one. I get far more crappy products out of China than I do high quality products.

I installed a water filter system under my sink with a separate small USA made faucet back in 1986. I recently broke the neck off that faucet when I swiveled it and didn't realize that hard water deposits had frozen the neck in place. Instead of swiveling, it just broke. No big deal, I got 26 years out of that faucet. Found an identical looking replacement at the hardware store that was made in China. Installed the faucet and it lasted all of 2 weeks before the internal valve failed and wouldn't shut off the flow of water. Returned it for another one. On the second one, I had problems similar to clutchdust in getting the connection to not leak. After too many hours, I finally got it installed without leaking. Two weeks later, it would no longer shut off the flow of water. BS! Found a different style on the web that was much more costly and supposedly made in the USA. No problems at all a few months later.

DC

Its really sad with the lack of quality for an affordable price.
Besides that fact plumbing sucks!

There is plenty of quality stuff being made in China. There is plenty of shit being made in China. You picked up a piece of shit. Caveat emptor.

Unfortunately, the shit outnumbers the quality at least 10-1. Sadly, at least where I am, the shit is just about all that is available.

Its really sad with the lack of quality for an affordable price.
Besides that fact plumbing sucks!

You not kidding, got a Glacier Bary kitchen faucet from maybe 8 years ago, changed the valve action/stems....still drips.....not much, a drop ever 5 minits or so.....

just enough to piss me off....

years ago a simple washer and stem packing solved ALL issues....today?? fuggetaboutit.....

assholes.....

I've done it all. Kitchen freezer to ice maker connection at the bottom of the freezer. Connections with the garbage disposer to sink drain, kitchen faucet to water connections (the faucet is a $500 thingy made in Switzerland!!)

All these household water connections are incredibly cheap and a water seal is difficult if you're laying on your back underneath a kitchen sink,......

For all the cheap water connections with residential water/plumbing...I would happily pay more money for aerospace hydraulic connections. O ring technology.. Is that to much to ask for? When I do a disconnect/connect I'd like to just give a twist and pull and do the reverse for reconnect. Aeroquip fittings. A erospace fittings can cost, just for conversation maybe $60 a piece or maybe even $100. I'd like to have the advantage of expediency fitting these things up, instead of laying on my back at an angle (the bottom of the sink cabinet floor is inches above the kitchen floor) and then using some difficult to fit wrench to tighten up everything.

Bottom Line: Don't like the cheap technology for commercial water line connections.

I've done it all. Kitchen freezer to ice maker connection at the bottom of the freezer. Connections with the garbage disposer to sink drain, kitchen faucet to water connections (the faucet is a $500 thingy made in Switzerland!!)

All these household water connections are incredibly cheap and a water seal is difficult if you're laying on your back underneath a kitchen sink,......

For all the cheap water connections with residential water/plumbing...I would happily pay more money for aerospace hydraulic connections. O ring technology.. Is that to much to ask for? When I do a disconnect/connect I'd like to just give a twist and pull and do the reverse for reconnect. Aeroquip fittings. A erospace fittings can cost, just for conversation maybe $60 a piece or maybe even $100. I'd like to have the advantage of expediency fitting these things up, instead of laying on my back at an angle (the bottom of the sink cabinet floor is inches above the kitchen floor) and then using some difficult to fit wrench to tighten up everything.

Bottom Line: Don't like the cheap technology for commercial water line connections.

Old kitchen mechanic here, done hundreds of remodels over the years, and that includes the kitchen sinks.....when building my own cabinets years ago, I specifically made the sink base so when doing the plumbing, it's easy....and the base is well covered and sealed against water damage....

wife took her tax refund and ordered doors off the .net, raised panel maple....

the brass in all faucets seems to corrode so bad even O rings wont seat any more....try cleaning it up, but no go, the only faucet worth having is a Delta single lever, with the ball/stem arrangement, replace the Ball, and the bonnet washer on top, and the two supply line rubber caps, and you got a new faucet....the worst IMO is Moen...that damn cartridge of their is the worst POS in the world....followed by this Glacier Bay POS from homo depot....

:cussing:

It was on a Saturday afternoon, that this really pricey Swiss faucet failed. The faucet had a spritzer head, you could pull the head out of the faucet with a metallic flex hose and spray dishes, etc. The spritzer failed, and no water would come out. Made a quick trip to the store we bought the faucet from (Pacific Sales), parts to repair the spritzer would be about a week arriving. Wifey is generally very patient about things failing around the house, but she gets her back up if a sink or toilet doesn't work. Also, on Sunday afternoon I had a business airplane trip scheduled. The repair had to be made Saturday. I was going to buy another $500 faucet to keep the wife happy, when the salesman discovered that the faucet that failed was still under warranty! They would give me another one for free, if I brought the old one in to return. I took the completely new one home... a few moments of happiness.

To install the new faucet, the old one had to be removed. Duhh.

Laying on my back under the kitchen sink.. Of course the cabinet is a couple of inches above ground level so I've got this uncomfortable bend in my back. I had a big crow's foot wrench to unloose the maybe 1 1/2 nut holding the faucet in. Pushing the wrench up into the confined space at the back of the under sink area...it would not budge..it was corroded. I needed to get the old faucet out, put the new one in, and return the old one to the appliance store before close of business on Saturday.....What to do?......First of all, fire up my air compressor and get an air powered cut off tool. I have a really long air hose, so I brought the cut off tool into the kitchen and approached the top of the counter faucet and hit it with the cut off tool. The faucet was nickel plated copper. The cut off tool cut through the faucet like a hot knife through butter. The old faucet fell loose, I Installed the new one, and returned the old one before Saturday closing time. The reason for returning the old faucet was that the spritzer didn't work, the salesman was a little taken back that the old faucet came back with a body cut in two!!

Home repairs go a lot easier if you'v had a lot of experience and tools working with your corvette!!!

Long time ago there was this cartoon strip called 'SHOE' starring a hippy dippy owl, we here he is with this long carpenter's tool box, the type with the pole handle going longways, and the tray, and all this shit hanging out of it, and the caption sez...'In this box I have every tool known to man', as he climbs this long asses latter up a tree, leans out looking at some funky light fixture barely hanging on, Then on the way down, he sez 'except a phillips screwdriver'......

that has become my standard phrase when under the car......:hissyfit::hissyfit::gurney::ill::evil:

Long time ago there was this cartoon strip called 'SHOE' starring a hippy dippy owl, we here he is with this long carpenter's tool box, the type with the pole handle going longways, and the tray, and all this shit hanging out of it, and the caption sez...'In this box I have every tool known to man', as he climbs this long asses latter up a tree, leans out looking at some funky light fixture barely hanging on, Then on the way down, he sez 'except a phillips screwdriver'......

that has become my standard phrase when under the car......:hissyfit::hissyfit::gurney::ill::evil:

I remember "Shoe". I'v always been a fanatic newspaper cartoon reader.

Same here. I have a large number of tools, redundant tools also. But I'm not to good about putting them back to where they should be stored. It seems like if I want a Phillips, I can only find slotted screw drivers. If I want a slotted screw driver, only can find Phillips. The cheapest way to buy new screwdrivers is to buy a pack of phillips, slotted, and torquex screwdrivers. I've done that. I have a tremendous amount of torquex screwdrivers as a result, because the slotted and phillips screwdrivers disappear and the torquex drivers don't. I think that one of the main problems is that my family members don't buy screwdrivers, they pinch mine. After buying a lot of replacement screw drivers, I have to keep my garage locked. Hate that. Want to live in a place where I don't have to keep things locked to keep family members from pinching things.

Last edited:
Same here. I have a large number of tools, redundant tools also. But I'm not to good about putting them back to where they should be stored. It seems like if I want a Phillips, I can only find slotted screw drivers. If I want a slotted screw driver, only can find Phillips. The cheapest way to buy new screwdrivers is to buy a pack of phillips, slotted, and torquex screwdrivers. I've done that. I have a tremendous amount of torquex screwdrivers as a result, because the slotted and phillips screwdrivers disappear and the torquex drivers don't. I think that one of the main problems is that my family members don't buy screwdrivers, they pinch mine. After buying a lot of replacement screw drivers, I have to keep my garage locked. Hate that. Want to live in a place where I don't have to keep things locked to keep family members from pinching things.

I thought that only happened to me! I have a drawer full of screwdrivers that can transform themselves into "not what I need" as soon as I open the drawer. Also, same here on the Torx, I have a million of them.

I thought that only happened to me! I have a drawer full of screwdrivers that can transform themselves into "not what I need" as soon as I open the drawer. Also, same here on the Torx, I have a million of them.

Then there is Ford, 01 Focus, front caliper mounting bolts, not metric, not inch, but not a star/torx....but a torx bit does fit it, took a pair of vice grips along with the torx to get it loose....I looked at all 4 of them bolts and played with the various tools....it's a hex pattern alright, just not any size that makes any sense.....:suicide: