the dreaded gas smell in the garage...replace 77 gas tank

bobs77vet

well it happened to me.....and i cant blame the gas smell on the 37 ford anymore.....so i crawled under the back and found gas staining all over the spare tire holder and muffler . i removed the spare tire carrier and the bottom of the tank had gas residue on it and after cleaning throughly with brake clean i went for a ride.....yup you guessed it.....fresh new gas staining in the middle of the tank right at the lapped seam that supports the gas tank.

the last tank i removed was on the 69 red tilt front vette i had with that fugly gas cap on it.... that car had side pipes. with the 77 the stock type mufflers are blocking my line of sight on the sides of the tank. where exactly is the fuel supply line and the return line on these cars? and how do you get to them. i do remember it was a pita on the 69 how tough is this on the 77? will the tank drop down if i remove the side to side cross brace? time to go back out and do some more looking.

also what about the bladder do i use one again or do the new tanks not need one?

plastic tank is for what years?

do I replace the bladder or the tank?

well i looked at the service manual looks likes its not to hard to drop the tank i just have to get the exhaust out of the way first..

i wonder if i can retro fit one of those into a 77.....actually i would like to add fuel injection into this car, maybe this is the point where i start that process.

thks i guess thats kind of obvious when you think about it.......you know...i bet its not the gas tank or bladder but the rubber hoses on the top......after i cleaned the tank and before i went for the ride there was no evidence of any leaking.....and the tank has 3/4 of a tank . but after i came back from my ride there was some evidence of dripping. i think i will clean it up again and then let it sit overnight.....tomorrow i will start it and leave it in place and see if the dripping comes back....if so i will know if its the tank or the supply/return lines.

a good body guy can relocate the filler door. Here is how my 82 was converted

deckholes3.jpg

still need to fiberglass the gaps and holes for luggage rack

deckholes2.jpg

Last edited:
jeff i like it....an 82 vert? it looks good.

well i just cleaned up the tank and my guess is there will be no evidence of leaking tomorrow AM. so i will start it and leave it in place and see what happens. i guess either way i need to drop the tank. looks like the hard part is going to be moving the exhaust out of the the way. it may be easier to just drop the entire exhaust system instead of trying to seperate it. i have the BTO crossmember and everything hangs below that. any way i have been wanting to weld my exhaust system and get rid of the clamps so maybe this is my opportunity.

jeff i like it....an 82 vert? it looks good.

well i just cleaned up the tank and my guess is there will be no evidence of leaking tomorrow AM. so i will start it and leave it in place and see what happens. i guess either way i need to drop the tank. looks like the hard part is going to be moving the exhaust out of the the way. it may be easier to just drop the entire exhaust system instead of trying to seperate it. i have the BTO crossmember and everything hangs below that. any way i have been wanting to weld my exhaust system and get rid of the clamps so maybe this is my opportunity.

yes, a 1982 vert ... was done using a 1975 rear clip.

what kind of efi are you going with? TPI?

Friend of mine replaced his tank last year, 78 all original but the tank was not plastic. The new repro tank is truly a pos ... It doesnt leak but thats the only positiv thing he has to say about it.
When ever mine leaks i'll buy a plastic fuel cell ...

i am not sure on the FI i will use..although i have been thinking about this for a long time i am no closer to doing it, i have read that the cam shaft profile i have with the CC XE268 is not suitable for Fi but i really dont know. the kits with the throttle body injection are awfully expensive and are in the $2300 dollar and that seems like way too much. it also has to be compatible with the linkage on my 700r4.

i just checked the fuel tank and there is no signs of any weeping ....

time to start it and see what happens....stay tuned

confirmed the leaking is from the top of the tank....i can see the wet fuel sitting on top of the tank by shining the flashlight into the fuel filler door. so looks like its the fuel lines for sure.

confirmed the leaking is from the top of the tank....i can see the wet fuel sitting on top of the tank by shining the flashlight into the fuel filler door. so looks like its the fuel lines for sure.

On the passenger side , lay on your back and reach up on top of the tank and frame, you can touch the fuel lines ... When I did this back in 2005 the lines just crumbled and I replaced them with SS braided hose.
If you replace with tubing I'd pay the extra $ for stainless, the tubing however must be cut at the frame kickup or you have to lift the body. One reason I went with hose ...

On the passenger side , lay on your back and reach up on top of the tank and frame, you can touch the fuel lines ... When I did this back in 2005 the lines just crumbled and I replaced them with SS braided hose.
If you replace with tubing I'd pay the extra $ for stainless, the tubing however must be cut at the frame kickup or you have to lift the body. One reason I went with hose ...

I had asked about fitting my 82 sending unit with fittings for braided line because I want to add TPI to this and ditch the CFI. Some member here posted a picture of his done but I can't find that thread.

wow thats one sweet looking fuel tank and lines

I won today....but it wasnt hard just a PITA if had another 1/4" of movement it would have been a piece of cake. i can feel the fuel lines sitting on top of the frame but i cant see them, i may cut an access hole so you can remove a panel and have clear line of sight to where the hose mates to the supply and return lines.

gastank2.jpg

look at the bottom of the hose my finger is holding up right in line with the edge of the lower hose you can see the tear

gastank3.jpg

and i took the opportunity to replace the clamps on the exhaust with welded joints, that aluminized welds like crap with a mig.

gastank.jpg

Last edited:
this might be another alternative for you. Sometime back the original plastic fuel lines on my 97 Camaro sprung a leak and started spraying gas on the coilpacks (luckily caught it in time) however you could probably have you fuel lines flared for this type of quick disconnect fitting and then run the same band clamps and 300psi fuel line.

DSCF1088.jpg

interesting fuel line i guess i dont fool around with enough newer cars to know whats out there.

i think until i actually commit to the FI process i will not worry about the tank and just replace the existing broken lines with similar materials.

on another front has anyone ever replaced the standard U exhaust clamps for attaching the hanger straps with a band clamp like a radiator hose clamp? i am thinking that may look neater under the car, i just dont know the strength of them

Last edited:
ate a couple more bites of the elphant and surely pissed off the NCRS types.....i elongated the hole that the supply line and return line come through so i could get at the steel tubing from inside....and since my steel liner had some horizontal cuts in it from the gas tank shimmying over the last 40 yrs i cut off 3/16" off the rear support bracket that the tank sits on. that should make it a bit easier to get the tank in and out. i was really tempted to cut it out totally and remake it with a second bottom support. i guess i am still a hot rodder at heart