Thanks to Clutchdust!

AJ77

6474b4158669744c.jpg
I just got back from Vegas yesterday and got my new hood on the car today. All I've got to do is get the car to the painter now. Hopefully in the next week or two. Thanks again Gary!!!

Garys a great guy. When Teri and I went to Vegas, he took the time to show us around. :D

It looks like it fits pretty good. Was any fitting necessary ? What brand/manufacturer is this? ACI, Ecklers, Vanacor ??

It looks like it fits pretty good. Was any fitting necessary ? What brand/manufacturer is this? ACI, Ecklers, Vanacor ??

It fits great! I have no idea of the manufacturer. One thing I like is it weighs about half of what the original hood did. I can pick it up easily with one hand.

Now my hood is still quite a work in progress (but then again, so is the entire car). But here's what I wanted originally. I was surprised how much I liked the L-88 hood on my car, but I think this one (my vision, at least) is far more suited to the car. I don't know why they didn't come from the factory like this. :huh:
834b424b6425e95.jpg
And yes, that is, or at least, will be a fully functional ram air box on top of the hood once completed. If you look behind the reinforcing block with the holes in it, you can clearly see the top of the air cleaner.
834b424b651c351.jpg

6474b4158669744c.jpg
I just got back from Vegas yesterday and got my new hood on the car today. All I've got to do is get the car to the painter now. Hopefully in the next week or two. Thanks again Gary!!!

looks like hood I bought from a couple in oklahoma ... Junk in every aspect .... not saying they were made buy the same person just they look alike.

If you mean, was that my ad selling a hood? No. I only posted it here and Art was the first person to call dibs.
I think it was an ACI hood, only because both the front and rear bumpers of the car that hood came off had ACI stickers on them. Otherwise, I really have no idea either. The hood seemed to be made well enough, and for the few months I had it on my car I had no issues with it.
I just can't believe no company has made a hood like the one I'm currently making for mine.

If you mean, was that my ad selling a hood? No. I only posted it here and Art was the first person to call dibs.
I think it was an ACI hood, only because both the front and rear bumpers of the car that hood came off had ACI stickers on them. Otherwise, I really have no idea either. The hood seemed to be made well enough, and for the few months I had it on my car I had no issues with it.
I just can't believe no company has made a hood like the one I'm currently making for mine.

can you finish fiberglassing a project hood I am making?

You don't want me doing fiberglass! I contracted this job out. Unfortunately, the guy doing the work had a stroke and died before he finished! So I will attempt to finish it myself with out effing it up since all the hard work is done. I must say, I've gotten better at fiberglass over the last couple years, but I'm still nowhere near a level capable of starting off with an idea and raw materials and producing a finished product.

looks like hood I bought from a couple in oklahoma ... Junk in every aspect .... not saying they were made buy the same person just they look alike.[/QUOTE]

Amazing how you can tell the quality of a hood just by looking at the shape of it in a picture!! :confused: The quality is excellent in my opinion. The fit is better than the stock hood and it seems very well made.

Last edited:
looks like hood I bought from a couple in oklahoma ... Junk in every aspect .... not saying they were made buy the same person just they look alike.

Amazing how you can tell the quality of a hood just by looking at the shape of it in a picture!! :confused: The quality is excellent in my opinion. The fit is better than the stock hood and it seems very well made.[/QUOTE]

it wasn't the shape of it, it was when he said half the weight of the stock hood. I remember when I got the hood from oklahoma couple. The inner frame was already seperating from the outter skin, and I literally peeled the rest of the inner frame off. It was identical to the hood I posted the link to.

notice I said not saying they were made by same person just they looked alike!

I bought an L88 hood from Ecklers in early December for my car and all in all, it's a pretty good piece. It's much lighter than the stock hood, and fits pretty well until you get to the windshield end. I have to cut about a 1/4" off the passenger side (it's to long) and build it up about 3/8" (it sits to low at that corner compared to the rest of the hood) and I have to grind a bit off the drivers side, it's just a bit to long too. I'll also put a drain hole in the front recess, cause it'll hold a bunch of water when you wash the car or get caught in the rain! The rest of it fits really well though, and I'm pretty happy with it, but damn it was expensive!!!

There are many junk products out there, be careful if it's cheap.... :lol:

I got the Ecklers L88 hood and the fit is perfect. Only had to scuff, prime and paint... guess I was lucky.

To me it's kind of scary that even brand name hoods are so light. Perhaps some day one of us will really cut into a stock hood and see why they are considerably heavier. But they were designed like that for a reason, can you imagine a poor quality hood delaminating at freeway speeds and someone was behind you? After I bought this hood I thought the only good thing to do with it was cut it up and save the long hood scoop section and properly bond it to my original hood.

Even with 1/2 of my stock hood cut out it is still sturdier then these after market hoods. This much of the stock hood was cut out for the grafting project and it was still heavier are by far stronger then the L-88 hood.

82hood2.jpg

Here with much work it should be as strong as the factory hood and have a gap tolerance far superior to aftermarket hood.

82hood4.jpg

6474b437be5d1dbc.jpg

Here's a shot of the gaps on this one. Looks pretty good to me. Thay're almost equal the entire perimiter.