Suspension rebuild review

Sam Cogley

I've finally managed to get some significant wheel time this past week (several years after most of the suspension work was finished), and I can now give an informed review of the ride.

Front suspension: stock design, with Energy Suspension red poly bushings, a big block/Gymkhana sway bar, and shorter 550# springs, VB&P Bilstein shocks.

Rear Suspension: Herb Adams (I think) aircraft-grade spherical T/A bearings, VB&P adjustable strut rods modified with Heim joints, inner strut rod mount point lowered about 3/4", Guldstrand solid crossmember bushings, rebuilt early-production VB&P dual-mount spring, Energy Suspension red poly spring cushions, VB&P Bilstein shocks valved for the dual-mount. Rear suspension can be seen here: www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93875#post93875

Wheels/Tires: American Racing 15x7 alloy wheels, 255/60/R15 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires on all four corners.

Ride: firm but not harsh. Even over rough roads, the car doesn't beat you up. It doesn't float over the bumps like a big Cadillac or '57 Bel Aire, but it doesn't jump around like a deranged Mexican bean, either. The tires stay planted to the road, and any bumps are quickly damped by the spring and shock combination. There is no extra vibration from the differential, despite the whole assembly being solidly mounted to the frame. Ride quality is better than I really expected with the extensive deletion of rubber in the rear end. Several knowledgeable people had the opinion that the spherical T/A bearings would be too harsh for the street.

Last edited:
I used the black bushings in both of the Talons that I drove for nearly a decade (pulled them from the first one after it was wrecked). Supposedly the black have some graphite or something impregnated into the material for lubrication, but I greased the hell out of the red with the super-sticky ES grease, and no squeaks yet. I used red in the Vette as I got a killer deal on the kit.

I am not surprised that you like the rear dual mount spring, that thing is a huge improvement over stock. I highly doubt that with the 15" tires you see the full potential of your suspension. With my lower profile tires I can now feel how crappy my front suspension is - I actually thought the 550 coils were pretty good LOL

That's all great to hear. I need encouragement to keep the rear mods going on mine!

Karsten:
When you do the front end - Are you considering the transverse fiberglass spring there too?

I'd recommend (not driven - but analyzed 6 ways from Dallas!) the SPC adjustable upper A Arms and the Howe - long/tall Ball joints.

Gets the Roll Center better placed for the front. Got mine from Mark Savitske - he'll gab all afternoon with you too when you call and ask him about the front end on a C3! Wrote the book on "How to make your Muscle Car Handle"and feels like he had to short shift the vettes I guess.

Sam - good observations.

Cheers - Jim

Karsten, you might well be right, but at this time I don't have the funds or desire to change out the wheel/tire combination.

One thing at a time, if money wasn't an issue I'd buy the D4 calipers, better tires , front dual spring and upper arns as well... Lol

Now that I see how nice the rear is I am considering the front dual mount though, maybe a 2013 project :D

Then on the other hand, AC would be sweet to have :D

I have about 2/3 of the A/C system rebuilt, just needs a compressor and some custom lines.

I've also been thinking about the front dual mount. Maybe sometime...

Karsten, you might well be right, but at this time I don't have the funds or desire to change out the wheel/tire combination.

Sam, when your tires get bald as my head, maybe pick up some 2.5" thick adapters and a used set of C4-5-6 wheels and go that route....

I did, in '95 and been happy as a clam....

:mobeer::D

I have about 2/3 of the A/C system rebuilt, just needs a compressor and some custom lines.

I've also been thinking about the front dual mount. Maybe sometime...

Do a serpentine drive from a '88-91 vette....fits like a charm....which tells me the test mule was a C3 no other sense to the perfect fit....

:D

Front suspension: stock design, with Energy Suspension red poly bushings, a big block/Gymkhana sway bar, and shorter 550# springs, VB&P Bilstein shocks.

Rear Suspension: Herb Adams (I think) aircraft-grade spherical T/A bearings, VB&P adjustable strut rods modified with Heim joints, inner strut rod mount point lowered about 3/4", Guldstrand solid crossmember bushings, rebuilt early-production VB&P dual-mount spring, Energy Suspension red poly spring cushions, VB&P Bilstein shocks valved for the dual-mount. Rear suspension can be seen here:
I can compare notes.

My front suspension: stock design, rubber bushings, BB sway bar, 460# springs, QA1 single adjustable shocks, 265-50-15 tires.

Note: DIY rack & pinion steering. All bushings and joints in good/new condition.

Rear suspension: VB&P adjustable race strut rods with heim joints + DIY "smart strut bracket" , VBP crossmember reinforcing kit, VB&P Dual mount spring, BB rear sway bar, QA1 single adjustable shocks. Rubber bushings. 295-50-15 tires.

Note: all bushings and joints in good or new condition.

And part of the rear suspension can be seen here:
9tzejo.jpg

My comments: Well, the ride improved greatly when I upgraded the suspension. And after some trials I am now happy with the shocks setup too. Adjusting them to "softer" (3-4 clicks out of 12 I think) made great difference in how the car takes potholes/bumps on the road. But, I still think there is too much bounce on the rear. However, there is no random bouncing or swaying at all so I think the spring and shocks do their work as planned. My belief is that the rubber ball -feeling I sometimes get when hitting a pothole is actually caused by the rubber balls I call tires. The huge sidewall causes the tires to act as a additional and unwanted spring.

So, here is my plan to further upgrade the suspension:
1. updrade to 17-18" wheels and tires to fix the "bounce"
2. install VBP 550# front springs (already have them)
3. install tube front upper A-arms with poly bushings (already have them)
4. swap poly bushings also to the lower A-arms
5. I will try how it feels without the rear sway bar. It might be completely unnecessary (or even too much) with this combination.

Last edited:
Although I resisted for years and I really wanted to keep the stock rims I have to admit that the difference tires make is huge... These 15" baloonsmake the car feel like you're riding a marshmellow... Well I still like the way they look ... Lol