steering column travel

AJ77

Does anyone know how much travel there should be for the telescope feature in a 2002 steering column?? Sometimes it will come out approx. 6 inches, and other times it will only extend about 4 inches. Trying to figure out if it is something I need to get looked at. It is much more comfortable with the extra extension, but doesn't goe there hardly any more. Thinking there is a limit switch maybe messing up. Thanks, art

That would be a good question for Mr. Jim Shea. That question falls under the heading of " I never thought about that before"

I was wrong about the amount of travel in my first post. The max is probably only 3 or so inches. When it's playing games, it only telescopes out about 1 inch. A gentleman on another forum gave me some good tips and it looks like the problem lies somewhere either in the driver's seat control module or the wiring either to it or from it to the steering column. I have a bumper to bumper warranty with $100 ded. so rather than spend $1200 on a scan tool, I think I will just take it to a local dealership and say ---fix it please.

When you get it back, please post a detail account of what was found and replaced. Some of us no longer have warranties on our cars and may be looking at this repair in the future.

maybe it stops travelling at the "memory point" that you set for driver one and driver two ?? this is assuming the 2002 has the same function as the 2006...

Nope, tried that. On occasion, I can get it to tele. all the way out and at that time I'll set the memory on both 1 & 2 just to be sure. I can shut the car off and when I put the key back in it will only come out 1/3 of the way. I an relatively sure there is a problem in the seat control module--maybe a loose connection or something? I am going to Panama to visit friends soon and I'm just going to drop it off at the dealership the day before I leave. That will give them a whole week to find and fix it. I bouight a bumper to bumper ext. warranty that is good up to 75000 miles or 5 years and it's only got a $100 deductible. I'll make sure and ask what they found and post it.

Is that the GM major guard warranty? If so, I bought the same 75K warranty, let me know if it's any good .... haven't used my warnty yet but have trouble with the stupid door handles/locks....

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

I think I"d be taking apart some of them modules, and looking for bad solder joints on large item connections...pins/connectors/wire posts, etc.....

on a mass soldering wave machine the small shit gets soldered pretty good, but the larger masses have trouble getting to temperature, and so the joints suck, and come loose especially with vibration/heat/cooling must have soldered 50 billion of them connections over the last 1/2 century....

:mobeer::clobbered::nuts:

considering the warranty I wouldn't mess with it..... now if for some reason they give you some BS about it not being covered I would definitely try to fix it myself rather than paying them ... two used seats on Ebay are probably less than what they charge to fix what you've got.....

The waranty is aftermarket, so I'm not sure how smooth it will go yet. It may be a little while before I look into it farther--I'm going to be gone for a week or so. My Bad 79, I hear ya on the used seats. Pisser is--I put a set in my 77 about 2 years ago and sold off the motors and frames for next to nothing. Had no idea I would buy a C5 in the near future.

Last edited:
I bought a set of 2005 C6 seats incl motors and frames.... I still have the motors and frames and no use for them. If they're the same (I assume they are) let me know.....

Absolutely!! Thanks for the offer. PM me with what you want. I'll check to see if they're the same.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the offer, but it looks like the 2001-2004 seat frames and motors are the same but the 2005-2012 are different #s. Not interchangeable. Damn it! It's not something that is a must fix right now. as long as I have the seat easy entry turned off and don't use the key fob to unlock the car--the column stays fully extended. Not really a hardship but I will tear into it at some point in the near future. Thanks again, Art

Well, I won't be posting on what the problem was. I traded the car for a Viper GTS. Got a pretty sweet deal on it. I still have my 77, so I am still in the vette community.