Speaking of cross fires...

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
Well, at least that other guy was. But I'll use this opportunity to jump on the subject.
I just read in the latest edition of "Vette" magazine about the "Renegade" replacement intake manifold for the L83 engine. The blurb in the mag states that it made an additional 30rwhp gain on a modified 383. Now I get that 30rwhp would probably translate into a 40-45hp pick up at the flywheel, but seriously? Only 30hp on a modified 383??? Given the inherent weakness of the factory L83 intake that seems terribly underwhelming for a modified stroker motor. Hell, I would expect about 30hp gain on a bone stock motor without that crap-tastic factory intake. Anybody else surprised by this?

I hope you're right, but that's not the way it was written. It was written that the engine is a modified 383. If that's the case, then they really Obama-ed that motor that their intake only gave them 30hp over that factory pile of scrap aluminum.

Kind of remarkable that someone would make an intake for such a small population of vehicles.

Probably why it's only taken 30 years. But didn't some of the F-body cars share the engine? Might expand it a bit if so. Personally, I always thought they would have been far ahead of the game just fabricating plates that mount to a dual quad manifold and doing it that way. Regardless of how you get the mixture into the heads though, the next weak point would be the injectors themselves. Pretty small as I remember it, somewhere in the 300cfm range each.

Yes lu5 5.0 cfi

Dcs makes the manifold. It's a beautiful piece, especially the fabricated prototype. The throttle bodies sre limiting those engines also.

Why mess with TBI, when even a batch fire bastard setup like mine is so cheep these daze.....if you want a TPI it can be done for about 500 bux with custom chip....then again, if you want a LT type inducation, buy a LT1 intake, and get a TIG welder to modify hell out of it, and keep the HEI in back, run with TPI computer.....my LT mani ran 75 bux....got maybe 125 bux into it total, from the TPI setup that was in place....and I sold the large TPI cast runners and base intake for more than that....

helps to be able to TIG like a pro, like my buddy who IS a pro.....

:clap::clap::waxer:

Why mess with TBI, when even a batch fire bastard setup like mine is so cheep these daze.....if you want a TPI it can be done for about 500 bux with custom chip....then again, if you want a LT type inducation, buy a LT1 intake, and get a TIG welder to modify hell out of it, and keep the HEI in back, run with TPI computer.....my LT mani ran 75 bux....got maybe 125 bux into it total, from the TPI setup that was in place....and I sold the large TPI cast runners and base intake for more than that....

You know GENE, I have to agree with you on this one. The problem isn't that the manifold is too small or too expensive or what have you. It's that it is a solution to a problem that was solved 25 years ago with better systems.
I really hope for the best for these guys but I don't see it happening. I think what they really should have done is manufacture a manifold that was indistiguishable from stock appearance but gave the added performance of full sized runners. The cars are actually old enough to warrant antique status. Having that stock look with a power bump would be a much better strategy IMHO.

You know GENE, I have to agree with you on this one. The problem isn't that the manifold is too small or too expensive or what have you. It's that it is a solution to a problem that was solved 25 years ago with better systems.
I really hope for the best for these guys but I don't see it happening. I think what they really should have done is manufacture a manifold that was indistiguishable from stock appearance but gave the added performance of full sized runners. The cars are actually old enough to warrant antique status. Having that stock look with a power bump would be a much better strategy IMHO.

UPgrades UP, Costs DOWN.....MY car is just a street driver....:goodevil: