Side exhaust photo's wanted

Ozzy

I would like to see how side exhaust systems using Stahl or Hedman type headers are routed from the collector to the side exhaust if anyone has pictures, Thanks!

clarification, using Stahl or Hedman or similiar side exhaust type headers

Last edited:
Not what you where looking for, but interesting. The first is on a C2 framed racer.

gt1x65pe-2.jpg

n1555895694_30115766_2050-1.jpg

Here are the hedman headers into a stock style muffler. Notice the "smooth" transition from the 3" collector to the 1 7/8" pipe :eek:
DSCF0625.jpg

The standard Hedman headers you get from Summit Racing extend too far back under the car, and you have to use "S" pipes to get the pipe back up to the side pipe location. This puts not one, but 2 passes of exhaust pipes under your feet, and is VERY low under the car.

It ain't pretty, but you have functional side pipes.

The better solution is to either get headers that have a 90 degree collector for side pipes, or get shorty headers so you can turn out the side right off the downspouts. This moves all of the heat to the outside of the car and away from your feet.

The best solution is the Hooker headers that send all 4 pipes to the side of the car where the collector is outside the body. This moves 90% of the heat to the outside of the car and away from your feet.

I have put the Patriot headers and Headman headers on a 82, and they look cool, but cook your feet.

I have the Hookers on my 72 and even with the big block, my feet stay comfortable, not cool, but comfortable.You can see the Hookers in my avatar.

Hedman has headers for sidepipes and they are cheap too. No need for S bends or crappy patriot pipes.

If you want to use 2.5" pipe and stock style fiberglass covers you can use "shorty" or "block hugger" headers and flange that to 2.5" pipe - all you need is two 90's
sorry, don't have photos....

Years ago I priced Stahl headers and some stainless tubing in 3" and 4" with a few ellbows and that was more expensive than the Hookers... Hookers are stainless, Stahl and Hedman headers are carbon steel.

I don't believe in coating on headers, paint or ceramic. I prefer stainless so for me the choice was easy (Hookers).

Hookers are made in Mexico with cheap, recycled metal that rusts out in just a few years. I have gone through 2 sets of them. They don't fit well and produce less power than Stahl headers. A few years ago, they offered the stainless steel versions for small blocks but unless you throw the inserts in the garbage, they actually produce less power than a stock exhaust. The primaries look silly being so long and diminish top end power. At the very least, you should put in some spiral baffles and regain some of that lost HP.