rod70 from the Great White North

rod70

Well hello there.

I discovered Vettemod in a search for previous owner's work done on adapting a C4 suspension to a C3 frame. I picked up a half restored '70 Vette and took it down to the frame intending to upgrade with the newer composite monosprings and lighter A arms. Then I got a deal on an intact front and rear C4 suspension system complete with steering and calipers. Along the way I also picked up a '05 Silverado aluminum block LS 5.3.

As a teen, the first time I saw a C3, my knees buckled. It seemed to me it was what Ed Roth might have done to a Ford GT. Now my goal is to do to a C3 what Roth might have reconsidered the second time through, but of course, maintaining the C3's original design integrity.

I am a Canadian living near Niagara Falls. You may be surprised to know this is about the same latitude as northern California. We have less snow than many would imagine and I am surrounded by vineyards for better than 50 independent wineries.

From welding to upholstery to cabinetry, I work as a specialty prop builder in the entertainment industry. From scratch, I am asked to build the unusual from imagined furniture to apparatus for magic tricks.

A biker for many years (Norton, CBX), this is my first major car project. I thought I might just as well just jump into the deep end. Blub, blub blub......

Welcome to the motley crew.....

I have built two sets of kitchen cabinets and counter tops, and used to remodel houses, old ET from the vacuum tube daze yet, and so 'lectrickery is easy for me, been a hotrodder for some 60 years now, have a welding buddy who does my sparky work.....being some 1500 miles south, I stay a tad warmer......:bump:

Welcome to Vettemod.
You came here for the right reason and you seems to be a guy that can do wonders with you hands.
Keep up posted, this gonna be fun.

thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I have no pictures organized at this point, but as work moves along I will post progress shots.

After sandblasting the frame, some of the sections seemed very badly pitted, so I have been replacing/restoring some zones one side at a time with 10 guage steel. One side is complete, the other is at the half way point for shoring up before beginning to make modifications for the C4 suspension.

Looking at the front end, I think this same process will allow me to eliminate the spring wells and re-box frame to seat the C4 unit intact.

Again thanks, glad for the support.