RIP Dick Guldstrand

He drpve my 1969 Coupe and my 1968 Convertible. He praised my 69 Corvette because it had an extremely factory appearance. It was originally a a 3X2 69 Coupe with an extremely new factory appearance. i replaced the original engine with a L88 clone engine ,a Richmond 5 speed. The Richmond tranny was not at all obvious in the interior. Dick said it looked like something GM would have produced. It was basically an L88 engined car with Air Conditioning and all he other power accessories.

My 68 has a ZZ4, TKO 600 5 speed with an all VBP Street and Strip suspension...and other features.

Dick had nothing but praise for my cars and offered me a job working a mechanic in his Burbank facility. Quite a complement. Actually, I think he was being overfriendly...he was a friendly person. I don't think my mechanical skills are commercially profitable...I work too slow.

Notwithstanding Dick's profusely flatteringly comments about my cars and my restoration skills, I think he was just flattering me!!

I wish Dick could have been more successful. I've heard he was the engineering motive behind the C4 rear wheel suspension, but GM refused to award him an royalty. Like Ligenfelter, Dick began selling a series of exotic cars under his name...unlike Ligenfelter, Dicks cars never were a commercial success. I think Dick had some financial problems ...how do you spell divorce?

Can someone post some up to date comments about his death? Hope he didn't suffer. I've read one post somewhere that he was found on the floor of his garage next to his beloved Gold customized C5.

Last edited: