Replace old sealed beam headlights to something better?

gbak

Have anyone replaced the old 5-3/4" sealed beams headlights with new/better H4 headlights?

What's with all the red ink and reregister for this site there??

I click there and it's as if it was Digital Corvettes again....

I obviously already registered here, codes are set, site recognizes like normal, so what gives with this other page??

asking to register with name and password yet again, makes no sense....

:smash:

What's with all the red ink and reregister for this site there??

I click there and it's as if it was Digital Corvettes again....

I obviously already registered here, codes are set, site recognizes like normal, so what gives with this other page??

asking to register with name and password yet again, makes no sense....

:smash:

It's opening a new tab, depending on your browser (I guess) it does not seem to carry the login info over, probably a security setting that can be changed if using a PC .... I have the same issue with my Ipad, when I open a site that requires login in a new window I have to sign in again....

Look what crap I got from Corvette Central!
ResizeofP1030281.jpg

I have waited for three weeks for this plastic adjusters and all of them snapped and cracked when I mounted the screw in them!
Is it cheap chinese plastic of lowest quality?

Anyone that knows where to find better adjusters?

Yeh, junkyard specifically they look identical to the adjuster black plastic mounts/blocks I have on my car......

I have later Camaro lights, surely must be many types of GM cars with the same parts......

out of the 80- maybe 90's.....

grab a bunch while you at it....

:smash::smash::thumbs::surrender:

ResizeofP1030281.jpg

I have waited for three weeks for this plastic adjusters and all of them snapped and cracked when I mounted the screw in them!

Well, at the first crack you should have tried to re-tap them.

ResizeofP1030281.jpg

Its too late for these but you might want to soak them in water first. I believe they are molded in nylon material which is hydroscopic (absorbs water). Nylon is brittle when dry; pretty tough after it has absorbed moisture.

]

Its too late for these but you might want to soak them in water first. I believe they are molded in nylon material which is hydroscopic (absorbs water). Nylon is brittle when dry; pretty tough after it has absorbed moisture.

You serious?? never hear that ANY plastic compound was ever affected by water.....Link to that??

:nuts:

Ok, not all of them cracked :)
(Didn't notice that they was so brittle, until after the third part cracked)

There wasn't any thread in them?
And they are way to small for the screw.
Is it the screw that is supposed to make the thread?

Works for string trimmers to. Soak the string end in a pan of water overnight and you won't break strings.

As far as the adjusters, did they break when you put the screw in?

Yes, the adjusters broke when the screw got into the hole.
The screw is to wide for the hole in the adjuster!

]

You serious?? never hear that ANY plastic compound was ever affected by water.....Link to that??

:nuts:
Here's a link: Fixing Brittle Plastic Nylon Product With Water

Its common practice for molders to pour a cup of water in a bag of nylon parts before shipping. Also reports of part failures due to cracking aways go up in winter when the air is dry.

Ok, not all of them cracked :)
(Didn't notice that they was so brittle, until after the third part cracked)

There wasn't any thread in them?
And they are way to small for the screw.
Is it the screw that is supposed to make the thread?
Don't know if there is supposed to be a thread in them or not but mine were quite snug. I actually expected them to break but none did.

Glassfibre and rapid epoxi.
Maby not a long term solution but ok for now.....
P1030295.jpg

I upgraded my 77 with Hella H4/H1 housings several years back, along with adding an under-hood fuse and relay box to power them (and some other stuff - the box was pulled from a Lincoln Mk.III, I think). The bracket behind the high beam housing had to have a larger hole cut to let the deeper H1 housing fit, but if memory serves, the H4 just dropped into place.

To drill the hole, I use a small hole saw to cut a hardwood plug about the same diameter as the existing hole. Then I swapped the hole saw to the size I needed, put the plug back on the pilot drill bit, and used it to keep the saw centered as I cut. It worked pretty well, though a metal spacer would have been a bit better. Once the saw cut itself a groove, it didn't need the plug to keep it from drifting.

The difference over the sealed-beam headlights with their rather lousy wiring design was quite literally night and day.

I'm almost finished with the upgrade now.
A pair of Cibe H4 was found at my local supplier so I upgraded the low/high beams (didnt touch the high beams as I seldom use it).
New 2,5mm2 (AWG 14) leaders, fuses and relays was also added.
The old leaders from the switch on the floor just controlls the relays now.

ResizeofP1030284.jpg

The cracked casting was also welded and painted:

ResizeofP1030287.jpg