Radiator Fan & Fan Clutch Removal

mike76c3

1) Any tips, tricks, and/or techniques anyone would like to share on how to get the bolts loose?

2) Can I get the assembly (or the individual parts) out without removing the shroud?

3) Anything special to watch out for, or to avoid, that might not be apparent to someone thinking it's just a matter of getting the bolts loose?

I want to paint the fan, and would like to avoid doing it one vane at a time if possible. However, I'll do it that way to avoid tweaking/bending/breaking/etc. something.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Hmm, I still have a little silver caliper paint left -- wonder how a silver fan would look? On second thought, with everything else that needs sprucing up, maybe black would be more in order . . .

1) With the belts installed, if it slips push or lean on a belt and then undo the bolts.

2) Yes, you can get it out without removing the shroud

3) Don't mess with the belts too much or the water pump pulley will come off so you'll have to undo all the accessories to get the pulley and the belts back on.

Paint the fan black LOL

On my 69, when it had the clutch fan and shroud, it was pretty easy. 4 bolts and it's out! No need to remove the shroud.
I say, eff the clutch fan and shroud! go with electric fan and never look back! Free's up a lot of engine bay.

1) With the belts installed, if it slips push or lean on a belt and then undo the bolts.

2) Yes, you can get it out without removing the shroud

3) Don't mess with the belts too much or the water pump pulley will come off so you'll have to undo all the accessories to get the pulley and the belts back on.

Paint the fan black LOL

DOH! Seems obvious now. Hopefully I'll be able to get this done tomorrow. I have a few other things to paint black, so I guess the fan will be black too.

Thanks,
Mike

Long time ago, I bought a 1/2-9/16 box ratchet, offset type....it was considered my 'fan removal tool'.....not that I have had a old mechanical fan for a long time.....it makes fan removal a snap off.....

I think it's a Sears....

:smash: