Non L88 hooid scoop for 1980 Hood?

daveL82

I need more hood clearance for my 80 when using a taller intake. Buyer a new hood and then shipping gets pretty expensive so thinking about going with a hood scoop.

Anyone know of a non L88 scoop that would work on the 80 and where to buy? Would like to find a scoop similar to the 80 hood bulge but taller.

How about a 73-up hood? They are slightly taller than a later hood, not sure how much.

I was looking at the 73 style but still concerned about clearance with high rise intake and carb or fuel injection.

How much additional height do you need? What about cutting the raised center of a 73 hood free and raising it up to clear? Probably wouldn't be that difficult.

I have a raised intake and fuel injection on mine. I needed 1" extra - so I put this scoop on

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EWV2OQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

With that said, I still had to go with a shorter air cleaner - but that was because of the design of the FAST ez-efi, the throttle linkage interferes with drop base air cleaners.

I was in the same boat as you and couldn't find anything. Ended up having a local FG shop make a bulge for a spare hood I had. Project isn't done yet but the bulge looks good. Will post up pics when done.

I agree, graft a scoop on and never worry about clearance again. I'm partial to the L88 design though.

vetteoutside009_zps67037f5d.jpg

That hood turned out very good. That gives me some ideas.
Thanks

I got a great deal on L88 hood so I swapped hoods in 2009 or so..... this custom hood went to BeeJay in CA, he was going to customize some more and use it on his yellow C3..... I have to say, the stock hood is quiet heavy compared to the aftermarket hoods but also a lot more solid.....

Karsten, did you get away with using polyester resin or did you use the epoxy resin to do that?