New rear deck & Thunderbird project

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I haven't done a damn thing to the BOSS since we moved onto out new compound. At the behest of the Department of War and Finance, I've been putting up shelves, clocks, pictures etc and then spent two full weekends building a new deck for the back yard (or yardlet). I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

354c3998e3ea603.jpg

354c3998e45cc6d.jpg

354c3998e4be70a.jpg

354c3998e527149.jpg

I was finally free to do other stuff last weekend but as we're going on vacation next Wednesday, it didn't seem worth starting anything on the BOSS - also, it was as hot as the surface of the sun so I found something to do indoors. My new Thunderbird project.

John Entwistle (The Who bass player) used a Gibson Thunderbird body with a Fender Jazz bass neck on it and called it his Fenderbird. I wanted to build a similar bass, and I managed to find a Thunderbird on eBay that was going very cheap on account of it having a broken neck.
I spent this last weekend routing out the neck pocket to take the Fender neck and hand filing/sanding a 6" piece of 1" square mahogany down to make 1/2" dowel to fill in the bridge mounting thread holes - the original bridges are crappy and sloppy enough that the mounting holes don't need to be spot on but the solid, machined, "simple-drop-in-replacement" bridge does need the holes spot on! So, dowels were made and smacked in then drilled out in the correct place.

354c3998e583d8e.jpg

This interesting lens effect is called "taking your camera outside when it's disgustingly humid"
354c3999aaabdfa.jpg

Anyway, that's what I've been up to...

looking good .... nice projects.... same here, lots of work around the house and then the C6 bumper disaster..... I haven't done anything on the '79 in weeks but I washed it and took it out for a short trip yesterday.

Guitar looks great, but I dunno jack about them.....

but that rear deck is to kill for, what kind of wood IS that, and why the krazy framing pattern underneath?? that thing came out with more class then I have ever seen on a mere deck....that's not on a boat.....

makes we want to get some of that wood for the front deck on the house here, and when I extend it too....

Somehow being in sandland, I suspect it's some African wood that is high dollar on this sandbar....

:clobbered:

And that last sentence reminds me of a funny comment that many Latin American friends have made years ago...they make their fancy furniture out of PINE North American PINE..... and they burn Mahogany in the fire place.....go figger, we had a good laugh off it....always want what we don't have type thing.....

Last edited:
It looks fantastic and no doubt will bring bonus points when you want to buy more parts...:mobeer:

c-ya
ToddG

You gots some skill!!!!

What, no barbie? Maybe it gets o damn hot there that you just do up the shrimp on the pavers..........:tomato:

Speaking of pavers, I like the looks of the pavers around the deck:thumbs:

You gots some skill!!!!

What, no barbie? Maybe it gets o damn hot there that you just do up the shrimp on the pavers..........:tomato:

:p Wonder what happens over there if he BBQ's a PIG....nice pulled pork BBQ,

:flash::cry::hissyfit:

but that rear deck is to kill for, what kind of wood IS that, and why the krazy framing pattern underneath?? that thing came out with more class then I have ever seen on a mere deck....that's not on a boat.....

makes we want to get some of that wood for the front deck on the house here, and when I extend it too....

Somehow being in sandland, I suspect it's some African wood that is high dollar on this sandbar....

And that last sentence reminds me of a funny comment that many Latin American friends have made years ago...they make their fancy furniture out of PINE North American PINE..... and they burn Mahogany in the fire place.....go figger, we had a good laugh off it....always want what we don't have type thing.....
The framework underneath is "construction" wood and was pretty crappy - no two pieces were the same shape! We made it first to keep the deck off the sand. The framework is also well and truly wedged in between the two walls and two sides of paving, so it shouldn't move any time soon.
The deck is (supposedly) Mahogany, although some of it's as hard as diamond and real heavy, other stuff you could write your name in it with your fingernail :confused:

You gots some skill!!!!

The barby's just to the right of the pics! Mind you, it was too hot to walk on the pavers bare foot today. Those pavers are just cement, laid before we moved here.

Hehe, nothing happens if I bbq pork, so long as I can get pork to bbq - it's illegal to even bring in here. Some years ago, a mate tried bringing in some pork and was stopped and had his car searched. They found the pork and confiscated it then gave him a fine. Just for good measure, they stamped PORK SMUGGLER in his passport, so every time he entered Saudi, he had his car and luggage shredded! They even re-stamped it in there when he got a new passport a few years later... :clobbered:

I'll get the Fenderbird playable after we come back from vacation. I've got new machine heads coming and have to put a gizmo in the electronics to give it more "crunch". When I go home to Australia in November, I'll take the body with me so a mate can give it an outrageous paint job :thumbs:

Last edited:

The framework underneath is "construction" wood and was pretty crappy - no two pieces were the same shape! We made it first to keep the deck off the sand. The framework is also well and truly wedged in between the two walls and two sides of paving, so it shouldn't move any time soon.
The deck is (supposedly) Mahogany, although some of it's as hard as diamond and real heavy, other stuff you could write your name in it with your fingernail :confused:

You gots some skill!!!!

The barby's just to the right of the pics! Mind you, it was too hot to walk on the pavers bare foot today. Those pavers are just cement, laid before we moved here.

Hehe, nothing happens if I bbq pork, so long as I can get pork to bbq - it's illegal to even bring in here. Some years ago, a mate tried bringing in some pork and was stopped and had his car searched. They found the pork and confiscated it then gave him a fine. Just for good measure, they stamped PORK SMUGGLER in his passport, so every time he entered Saudi, he had his car and luggage shredded! They even re-stamped it in there when he got a new passport a few years later... :clobbered:

I'll get the Fenderbird playable after we come back from vacation. I've got new machine heads coming and have to put a gizmo in the electronics to give it more "crunch". When I go home to Australia in November, I'll take the body with me so a mate can give it an outrageous paint job :thumbs:

How about if it's KOSHER pork???

some Jewish friends used to eat it all the time....serious....

(an obvious joke)......none of us were Kosher about anything back then.....

or now, I suspect....been a while....

:beer:

how are those boards held to the framework?
Do I see a zillion nails heads?

PS If anyone ask if the bacon, ham or chops are kosher,
tell them yes, of course ... the pigs were jewish

Wayne, the deck looks great.

What are you putting in the T-bird for more crunch? I forgot that they were Fender scale. I like it, but all I need is another guitar project.

2" long gypsum screws Doc - somewhere around 1200 of them :shocking:

What are you putting in the T-bird for more crunch? I forgot that they were Fender scale. I like it, but all I need is another guitar project.
I got a thing called "Black Ice" from Stewmac. I'm going to swap out the 500k pots already in the guitar and replace them with 250k pots and add the Black Ice.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...k_Ice_Overdrive.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=85

I got a thing called "Black Ice" from Stewmac. I'm going to swap out the 500k pots already in the guitar and replace them with 250k pots and add the Black Ice.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...k_Ice_Overdrive.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=85[/QUOTE]

I tried one of those. I thought it was a little too "fuzzy" sounding. Sort of like an old Fuzz Face (the originals).

Might sound better on a bass.

I thought maybe you were grafting the rear deck of a t-bird into your corvette. :eek:

saudivette said:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...k_Ice_Overdrive.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=85

I tried one of those. I thought it was a little too "fuzzy" sounding. Sort of like an old Fuzz Face (the originals).

Just changing the pots to 250k should make it a nice "dark" sounding bass anyway so if the Black Ice doesn't sound any good, it won't take long to pull it back out.

I thought maybe you were grafting the rear deck of a t-bird into your corvette. :eek:
No, I'm just looking forward to grafting my arse into the driver's seat now. Once we get back "home" and the weather cools down a bit, the interior will become the "out"terior and all will become new again. Apparently, as it is now, it looks and smells like a chicken coop... :ill:

2" long gypsum screws Doc - somewhere around 1200 of them :shocking:

saudivette said:

Just changing the pots to 250k should make it a nice "dark" sounding bass anyway so if the Black Ice doesn't sound any good, it won't take long to pull it back out.

No, I'm just looking forward to grafting my arse into the driver's seat now. Once we get back "home" and the weather cools down a bit, the interior will become the "out"terior and all will become new again. Apparently, as it is now, it looks and smells like a chicken coop... :ill:

is that because someone screwed their brains out???

:nuts::banned: