Need help,suggestions.

kwplot34

Heart Attack
From some of you South West folks please.
Me and the wife will be leaving in August for California for a Bird Run. I have made the trip several times,but this time we want to make a detour out of Flagstaff and head North to the Grand Canyon.
The plan is to spend the night in Flagstaff,and then head towards the Grand Canyon and see some sites. Would like to stay on the south side and keep heading west the whole time.
Any site suggestions,routes to take,where is a good place to spend the night. Was looking at winding up in Kingman AZ on Thursday night and heading on in to Ca Friday morning. Is this possible?
I have made the trip several times,and have always left from Flagstaff and headed on in to Ca from there,so i need some detour help.
Leave Flagstaff Thursday morning and head to the Grand canyon.

Instead of Flagstaff I'd stay a night in Sedona. Sedona is just south of Flagstaff and the drive down there is breathtaking (hwy 89a).
There are hotels just outside of the Grand Canyon park, I think it's hwy 64 that goes north to the south rim.... that way you can be at the canyon for sunset or sunrise.... both stunning....
Inside the park are cabins that you can rent, last time I checked it was $200/night.... directly at the rim of the canyon, amazing view.... well worth the money...

In Flaggstaff, stay at "Little America".
Williams, you can take a steam train to the rim and back. You could also drop the trailer at Little America, and stay the night again to load up.
Flagstaff or Kingman is an easy drive in.
Kingman is an old Route 66 shithole, now a retirement community.
Grand Canyon, plan on spending the whole day. Alot to see.

Instead of Flagstaff I'd stay a night in Sedona. Sedona is just south of Flagstaff and the drive down there is breathtaking (hwy 89a).
There are hotels just outside of the Grand Canyon park, I think it's hwy 64 that goes north to the south rim.... that way you can be at the canyon for sunset or sunrise.... both stunning....
Inside the park are cabins that you can rent, last time I checked it was $200/night.... directly at the rim of the canyon, amazing view.... well worth the money...

I'd agree. We stayed at a Best Western just outside of the park and it was just fine. Nothing special but reliable.

There are a TON of places in Sedona. Once again, if you want to book a room ahead of time, there is a Best Western just outside of Sedona that we really liked. I'll look the name of the town up.

I got a excellent detour. Come by my place and do some work on my car. Perfect family vacation for you.

In Flaggstaff, stay at "Little America".
Williams, you can take a steam train to the rim and back. You could also drop the trailer at Little America, and stay the night again to load up.
Flagstaff or Kingman is an easy drive in.
Kingman is an old Route 66 shithole, now a retirement community.
Grand Canyon, plan on spending the whole day. Alot to see.

U R right, it's shockingly beautiful, continue on down the old Indian trail toward Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest, and Painted Desert....

if you have time hit Carlsbad Caverns, that is another amazing place....

:shocking::yahoo:

All good suggestions, keep them coming. We will be staying the night in Flagstaff (we get free rooms at Marriott) We are looking for suggestions after leaving Flagstaff, we want to keep moving west along the grand canyon,just dont know where to spend the night.
Jeff i like the train ride idea,i will look into that.
Jeffp1167,i dont think the wife would like that detour,she has to put up with me working on the car here all the time.
Petrified Forrest, meteor crater are all on the list,i have seen them several times,the wife has not.

My only suggestion is, if you do go to Sedona, don't drive the Vette or anything that handles well. You'll get stuck behind some asshat in an RV doing 15 on some of the best roads you'll ever see. And you'll want to kill.

My only suggestion is, if you do go to Sedona, don't drive the Vette or anything that handles well. You'll get stuck behind some asshat in an RV doing 15 on some of the best roads you'll ever see. And you'll want to kill.

Im afraid i am going to be the ass hat on some of those roads, the vette will be in the trailer behind truck,as i slowly move up down the hills and around the corners. It will be hard not to get it out and drive it on those roads.

While doing the canyons last March I found a very underrated site called "the valley of gods", it's not far for Flagstaff. Problem is the road definitely takes a SUV.
FYI I've found UT more impressive and canyon-packed than AZ.

While doing the canyons last March I found a very underrated site called "the valley of gods", it's not far for Flagstaff. Problem is the road definitely takes a SUV.

My son spent something like 5 years or better screwing off in Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, New Mexico.....some of his Jeep Pix are funny....

poor Jeep, run the sox off that thing, he did.....Had jobs from summertime Park Ranger, to bar bouncer in Park City Utah....Alamo Bar, I think.....

:yahoo::flash::clap:

No problem,we will be in a 4X4 truck. I will look into it. just purchased a map of the south rim area,lots of unimproved roads,may have to ditch the trailer.